Topbox mount brackets installed over pillion seat

KanadianKen

• Member Contributer

Cdn Arctic and Ken...I really really really like these brackets!!! So who is going to make me a set? Seriously...I want some and have neither the time nor the patience (and sadly nor the skill either) to make them myself. So I would pay a reasonable fee for time and material for whoever is interested...

Also, and just as important, while I want a modified // more forward mounted Givi topcase setup like this, I also want it to work with the SW Motech sidecase mounting system that is shown on Twisted Throttle's web site. Have either of you looked at the feasability of your mod working with the SW Motech sidecase system?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I ordered my VFR800, which I expect to arrive next week, I ordered it with the hard saddle bags but without the top case. Like others here, I figured that the top case was too high and too far back and therefore would surely alter the balance of the bike in addition to making it more wind sensitive. The saleswoman, in response to my question, stated that there was no way to mount the top case farther forward.

The solution shown here is a wonderful idea. However, I don't have the tools and other equipment to make brackets, etc. It seems to me that there could be a market for ready-made brackets. If someone were to go into the business of making them for a reasonable price, I'd be interested in buying one.

Another matter: The bike I'm getting lacks a helmet lock. Is there a convenient way around that problem? On my present bike, I use a long shackle padlock to lock the helmet to the handle at the back of the seat and use a bunge cord to keep the lock from rattling when it's not in use. From looking at the VFR, I can see no convenient way to lock the helmet to the bike.

Any suggestions?

• Member Contributer

FRE,

Looks like I'm going to be ordering a couple sets of brackets for another member and could add a 3rd set for you. Send me a PM if you are interested.

As far as helmet locks go, I added a Harley Lock that works like a dream. See below:

gallery_5686_1088_68231.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Lock.JPG

THese aren't finished (as in apray painted and pretty'd up) but here's the TALLER version that I had made. I can get the seat off with these in place.......

IMG_0467.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

IMG_0466.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

IMG_0465.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

IMG_0464.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

IMG_0463.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Anyone Interested?

In the process of installing my GIVI V46 Top Box over my passenger seat, I ended up with an extra set of brackets. Sold them and then another request came to me for 2 sets of brackets. Same thing happened, I ended up with a spare set of brackets after I shipped the two out today. Is anyone interested in them?

Price is $65 plus $10 shipping.

They are drilled to fit a GIVI M5 mounting plate.

Here is a picture of the brackets.

gallery_5686_1088_10811.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Brackets.JPG

Send me a PM if your interested.

My fabricator tells me he is losing his ass on supplying these to me and will only accpet orders for 4 sets at a time in the future, so these may be the last ones I have to sell. I would sure make the templates available if anyone wants to have a go at getting them fabricated or building their own set from scratch. Again, PM me and I'll get a copy of the plans to you.

Here is a picture of the top box mounted:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i190/cdn...ic/IMGP1703.jpg

• 1 month later...

That looks a great mod. I was thinking of trying something similar, but I guess there aren't many new ideas, someone's already got there first!

Does anyone have a template for the original (lower) rack? The high one looks practical, but the original looks better without the box, IMO, and keeping the weight down can't hurt.

If anyone's got the original template I'd be very grateful if it's posted here, or mailed if you prefer.

Ta

Dave

Kanadian Ken,

Why do you keep the passenger grab bars?

Good question - easy answer....

It would look totally unfinished without the grab handles in place - as you would see the mount location, and the bars for the side bags.

I left them there only for appearance sake mostly - and to keep water from getting into the under seat area.

• 1 month later...
Guest huxtablejones

man, that is truly a thing of beauty.

Anybody still got a set of these brackets fer sale? Gawd I love the internet. I would like to see a full side view of the bike left and right side, yall got any? Maybe even with rider installed? wink.gif

/needy bastard

Edited by huxtablejones

man, that is truly a thing of beauty.

Anybody still got a set of these brackets fer sale? Gawd I love the internet. I would like to see a full side view of the bike left and right side, yall got any? Maybe even with rider installed? wink.gif

/needy bastard

heres one - no rider on it - but it might give you an idea.

IMG_1040.jpg

• Member Contributer

If there is enough interest in acquiring brackets, I can ask my machine shop to provide a quote to build some more for me. The last batch of 5 went for $65/pair plus shipping. I don?t know if he will hold the price on another run, but I could ask. Please PM me if you would be interested in a set. I will need 5 commitments before I place an order.

They will have slots cut to accommodate the grab handle mounts, but not for mounting the top plate. This allows for finally adjustment and positioning the plate on each installation. The brackets are made out of 1/8? plate and will need paint.

Or, I can provide a drawing (Ken's orginal doctored with the measurements) for those who might like to get a quote from a local metal masher or have the ability to make their own brackets.

There would be a time factor here too. I'm scheduled to have a bit o'surgery in October or November so if there isn't at least 5 souls on board in the next week or so I won't be able to play until spring.

• 1 year later...
Guest Loosenut

Very nice work gentlemen. I don't own a VFR yet, but I'm less than 60 days from being an owner. Anyway, I plan on purchasing a top box even though I did not care for the look. I need the top box for my commute, so these brakets gave me an idea. Imagine that the grab handles are round stock aluminum bar and it extends towards the rear of the bike. Both sides must run parrallel. If the Givi mounting plate can be attached to where it can slide front to back on these custom grab handles, then you can move the top box forward for 1 up riding or back for when you have a passenger. I'm thinking 1 allen wrench adjustment similar to convertibars.