Buell Footpegs Modification

Darth Bling

Thta's alright, I fogive you. I know you Candians don't know wany better.  :P

Besides, you're in the same industry as my wife (she works for AirNZ), so that makes us practically kissing cousins.

Enzed - FIxer applied to be a Canadian once, but he really sucked at hockey, and can't hold his beer or rotgut that well, so we refused him. He's a Murkn still, but we like him for trying!!! :goofy:

how easy was it getting to the red one?

As far as I can recall, it was pretty easy actually. I was able to get a 10mm wrench on it and from behind the heel plate thingy without any trouble. You just don't have too much room too work; you know, moving the wrench 1/6 of a turn at a time.

• 2 years later...

I am considering swapping my footpegs on my 99 VFR out for some Buell pegs but have a couple of questions:

1. Which Buell Pegs fit best? (From the reading I have done I think the Buell Ulysses pegs are the right ones to get but I am not "sure" so I thought I would ask. One of the listers who said he used the Uly pegs did not have to grind them to fit whereas one who used the XB9R pegs did. Which ones fit best

2. Did anyone ever come up with a brake pedal and brake light switch modification that lowered the pedal enough to work with the Buell pegs without having to "jury rig" anything?

3. How many of you who changed over to the Buell pegs have stayed with the mod? (ie. did you like the difference enough to stay with the change?)

4. Are the metal pegs without rubber like the OEM pegs comfortable? How much more vibration do you feel if any due to not having rubber pads on top?

Thanks,

Vic

• Member Contributer
3. How many of you who changed over to the Buell pegs have stayed with the mod? (ie. did you like the difference enough to stay with the change?)

4. Are the metal pegs without rubber like the OEM pegs comfortable? How much more vibration do you feel if any due to not having rubber pads on top?

#3. Yes I've had the buell mod for over a year now. I also have lowered pegs on my RC51 and getting on my RCBVFR after riding the 51, they feel "too" low. LOL

#4. 4gen comes with stock metal pegs so it was the same feel for me.

Thanks,

Vic

My 4th gen does not have rubber pads on it's pegs and I never had vibration discomfort problems. But note that the later gen VFRs did have weights added on to their pegs in additon to the rubber pads to quell down vibration that might be inherent to the 800cc engine's design. The wieghts work like the handlebar end weights on our bikes to cancel out most of the vibration. So there is a possibility that you might encounter/feel more vibration with the Buel pegs, compared to the stock pegs.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

I put Buell pegs on my '98 over a year ago. They dropped the peg height a full inch. I had to do some minor grinding but, as I recall, it took less than an hour to install both sides. Inexpensive, too. I adjusted the shift lever and heated and bent the brake pedal. I've been very happy with the result.

• Member Contributer
I put Buell pegs on my '98 over a year ago. They dropped the peg height a full inch. I had to do some minor grinding but, as I recall, it took less than an hour to install both sides. Inexpensive, too. I adjusted the shift lever and heated and bent the brake pedal. I've been very happy with the result.

You can save yourself $10 by getting the pegs as a package set #N0006.1AD. Also, go to your local machine shop and get a bronze valve guide. There is a common size that will adapt the peg to the bike. It will fit into the peg by heating the peg in the oven and putting the bushing in the freezer for a couple hours. I forget the size of the guide, just take the peg and pin with you, one guide cut in half will work. I did end up slightly enlarging the center of the guide. The easiest way to do this is to put the drill bit in a bench vise and chuck the guide in the drill motor, before you cut it. If you try to do it the normal way, you'll ruin the guide trying to hold it.

• Member Contributer

You can save yourself $10 by getting the pegs as a package set #N0006.1AD. Also, go to your local machine shop and get a bronze valve guide. There is a common size that will adapt the peg to the bike. It will fit into the peg by heating the peg in the oven and putting the bushing in the freezer for a couple hours. I forget the size of the guide, just take the peg and pin with you, one guide cut in half will work. I did end up slightly enlarging the center of the guide. The easiest way to do this is to put the drill bit in a bench vise and chuck the guide in the drill motor, before you cut it. If you try to do it the normal way, you'll ruin the guide trying to hold it.

I believe I paid $32.00 plus tax for the pair at the local HD dealer. I did not have to use an insert bushing. Works great without it.

• Member Contributer

I believe I paid $32.00 plus tax for the pair at the local HD dealer. I did not have to use an insert bushing. Works great without it.

If you use the part number N0006.1AD at the HD, you get the pair together for $25.00. The valve guide gives a nice fit with no modes to the bike, using the stock pin.

If you use the part number N0006.1AD at the HD, you get the pair together for $25.00. The valve guide gives a nice fit with no modes to the bike, using the stock pin.

The N0006.1AD package is for the XB9R and XB12R. While they work, they require some grinding to fit. One person said the Ulysses pegs fit without any grinding. Can anyone confirm this and give me the part number? It would be great if they offer the pegs as a pair at a reduced price as well.

When you say you heated and bent the brake pedal, please tell me how you did that. I have a propane torch but am not sure how hot to get the shaft, where to apply the heat, etc. I would hate to weaken the pedal and have it fail when I need it most.

Thanks,

Vic

That's cool, thanks. I pd the $32 paying the each price. :ph34r:

btw here's the link to the Ulysses pegs.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...mp;#entry583788