VFR Electrical Problem

Guest rcryder

Guest rcryder

I need an electrical wizzard. Yesterday I stripped the bodywork off an 2000 VFR 800, including dash and lights. Today, I put the body work back on and hooked everything back up - all seemingly correct. However, the fuel pump does not work when turning on the ignition? It worked yesterday. I tested the pump by hotwires, and it works just fine. I double checked all the connections everywhere for everything. There is no voltage across the 2 pins on the fuel pump connector? No damage to wires or connector noted. I don't know where the fuel pump relay -if any- is located. I checked fuse and even replaced it and it's OK. Strange, but I could not detect voltage across the fuel pump fuse terminals with the key on? Over the top of the Fign/pump fuse there sits a 3 pronged spade/fuse sideways - its function is not identified? I checked all the issues like kill switch, side stand, clutch lever and gear selection in neutral. I moved around all the alike relays from all over the bike without results. It's fairly unlikely that I damaged any wiring anywhere. Nothing seems to solve the problem, and I'm clueless. I do not have access to a shop manual or wiring diagram, which obvioulsy would help a lot. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Yeah, you need to get a wiring diagram. If all the switches and interlocks (kill switch, sidestand, etc.) are working properly, then something is going on between those and the fuel pump connector.

It could be as simple as an electric contact being shifted to a corroded portion as you unplugged/plugged things.

Well, I had a big paragraph of stuff to check and what wires went where and then I remembered the thread with the .pdf 5th gen service manual, so download this and have at it!

I would definately look at the fuel cutoff relay and the engine stop switch some more.

Chris

Guest rcryder

Viffed: Thanks for the info. Late last night I got this urge to go out and look at it once again. I take a flashlight and sure enough I had mounted the lean angle sensor behind the dash upside down. Ten hours of tracking and agonizing over this, and it comes down to a stupid reassembly error like this?

Guest Viffed

Well, at least it was something simple!

I had a bit of a stumper with my car today, I couldn't get any power out of the cigarette lighter socket, but it worked last time I used it! Turns out that I must have shorted the interior courtesy lights while I was replacing the heater core, blowing the fuse. The lighter socket happened to be on the same fuse... heh

Chris

Archived