Cluster lamp

Guest knucklexyz

Guest knucklexyz

Hi all,

I have a quick question that I hope has an easy answer. One of the cluster lights on my ?99 has gone out ? it?s the one at the left lower corner of the speedometer (the one that illuminates the range of about 0 to 70mph). Anyone know of an easy way to get at that lamp? Any info or tips on replacing it greatly appreciated.

Larry

I have a quick question that I hope has an easy answer.  One of the cluster lights on my ?99 has gone out ? it?s the one at the left lower corner of the speedometer (the one that illuminates the range of about 0 to 70mph).  Anyone know of an easy way to get at that lamp?  Any info or tips on replacing it greatly appreciated.

Larry, the lamp at the lower right of my speedo went, and I had to remove the mirrors and the upper fairing to get at it. Sounds like a big deal, but in reality it's only 15 minutes or so to take off, and the same to put back on.

Make sure it's not the only lamp, and do any others while you're at it. It's also a good time to check the instrument PCB for corrosion on the tracks.

Guest knucklexyz
Larry, the lamp at the lower right of my speedo went, and I had to remove the mirrors and the upper fairing to get at it. Sounds like a big deal, but in reality it's only 15 minutes or so to take off, and the same to put back on.

Make sure it's not the only lamp, and do any others while you're at it. It's also a good time to check the instrument PCB for corrosion on the tracks.

According to the Service Manual, the side cowls and inner crwl have to be removed. Did you find this to be the case?

• 2 months later...
Guest Equin

I have a similar problem on my 1998 VFR800 - The illumination up to 70 is unlit, while up to 170 still works just fine. Does anybody know the part number of the bulb that I'll need? Thanks!

-Equin

I have a similar problem on my 1998 VFR800 - The illumination up to 70 is unlit, while up to 170 still works just fine. Does anybody know the part number of the bulb that I'll need? Thanks!

-Equin

Standard automotive #168 or #194 wedge base bulb.

Get 'em at Pep Boys, Et Al.

• Member Contributer

Ditto. All it takes is a 1/4 turn CCW and they come right out. And yes you have to take the cowlings off unless you have really small hands, are a contortionist, the planets are all aligned behind an eclipse,...

Like Enzed said, it only takes a few minutes to remove the cowlings. Buy the bulb at NAPA and get some Saturn Plastic clips while you are at it because you will probably break the ones that are up behind the front wheel (Push the center IN, and then CAREFULLY pull the clip out). If you can wait until the oil needs to be changed and one of your headlights burns out, you can do it all at once. JK

Good Luck.

• 1 month later...
Guest Equin

Well, I took out the bulb to look at it, was still good. I made sure the connections were clean and good, then put everything back together. Now my -entire- speedo. illumination and half of the tach doesn't work!

Anybody ever heard of such a problem before?

-Equin

Archived