Fuel Filter Replacement

gallery_2492_464_49156.jpg

Hi guys,

As you all know I have been having a heck of a time with my 2000 VFR. It suddenly would loose power and then gain it back without any throttle movement.

I did all the things you would normally do to fix this prob: plugs, check for spark, drain tank, injector cleaner, check connection, check vacume hoses, check battery etc.

I finally said I'm gonna change the fuel filter (thanks Slammer) and I read alot of post saying it was a pain in the Azz.

To tell the truth I would rather do this job than take the fairings off.

Step 1. Empty the tank.

Step 2. Disconnect all conectors and hoses from tank.

Step 3. Remove tank from bike and turn it upside down.

You will see 5 nuts (pink arrows). Simply loosen them off as you would a tire (star pattern). They are on with blue locktite so they are a bit stubborn but not too bad.

gallery_2492_464_35398.jpg

fuel filter 1

Step 4 Remove the fuel pump assembly. The first thing to note is that you must lift the back of the assemble up and out (by back I mean the part of the assembly closest to the end of the tank). When you begin to lift you will see a flat piece of rubber, just grab it with your fingers and work it out. Next thing you'll see is what looks like a metal scrubby you use to clean dishes(at this point I almost shate myself) RELAX it's part of the sock filter. Now the sock filter is long and travels from one side of the tank opening to the other side of the opening. (rear to front of tank) So you have to bend it a bit to get it out of the hole. Don't worry its plastic and pretty flexable. Once the sock filter is all the way out you can lift up on the remainder of the fuel pump assembly and take it completely out of the tank.

Step5. Removed the clips(Pink arrows), remove the screw and bend the bracket out of the way and take out the fuel filter.(the gold thing)

gallery_2492_464_49156.jpg

fuel filter 2

PS I cant believe this thing cost 80 bucks!!!!

Step 6. Replace with new filter.

Step 7. Re-install the fuel pump assembly. Ok now remember the fuel pump goes in with the sock and scrubby facing the front of the tank. When you get it in the hole until the sock meets the tank, you will have to bend the sock down and into the tank, stuff in all the metal scrubby thing, and then the rubber piece. Once its all in apply blue locktite, tighten the nuts in a star pattern as per the service manual, then torque as per the service manual.

Step 8. Put the tank on the bike, connect all hoses and connectors, fille with fuel and test

The result for me was a complete(or so it feels right now) success.

I finally have the power back and took it for a decent run and it didnt revert bak to the surging thing at all.

When I got home I had to see what a 80 buck filter looks like. You guessed it a piece of cardboard folded like a normal filter. Nothing special.. I could feel with my finger alot of sand/grit on the outside of the filter paper, so I'm guessing it was restricting the flow enough to conk out the bike. Although I have to admit I was thinking I was gonna find a pebble in the filter opening, but I didn't.

Anyways guys, if you ever have to do this job, it aint to bad just be very carefull not to drop the pump...she be a tad expensive

• 4 years later...
  • Member Contributer

^ Excellent pictorial summary on fuel filter replacement, Speedball!

Regarding fuel filter replacement for 5th gens:

Does anybody have a suggestion on a service interval for this in-tank fuel filter? Surprisingly the service manual nor operation manual state anything about a time/mileage/km for replacing this filter. Section 5-59 of the service manual describes removal/installation but that's it.

I consulted Sun Honda service for recommendations: after long hold time... change every 24k-30k miles.

My bike has 20k and runs as it should, but currently doing all preventative service to prepare for spring riding.

It's not much fun to R&R the fuel pump. Just take your time and there is some bending, wiggling and finangling to get the rubber parts and steel scrubbie back in there.

I looked for an automotive equivalent, but did not find one. Maybe someone else might have better luck? The high-pressure FI-rated filters I could find were all about 1/4" larger in diameter, which would be quite a bit more circumference, so the stock clamp would not fit back on.

Be sure not to use a plastic one, as I doubt they will withstand the pressure. Remember it's 36 PSI.

• Member Contributer

Yep...replacing the filter is pretty easy. Just make sure you don't bend the rim when inserting/removing the pump assembly and very carefully torque down the bolts as the studs break very easily. Don't ask me how I know all that. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

^For all replies above at what mileage did you replace the fuel filters or were they replaced for a different reason? Maybe you could edit your posts and put a new line in at the bottom that says "Filter replaced at ____ miles/kms".

It would be useful to come to an agreement on a service interval for the fuel filter, since it's not called out in the Honda manuals.

• Member Contributer

My 6th just turned over 25k and I'm going to replace the fuel filter this spring, it's original and I'm noticing an increase in midrange lean-surge. It may also be the amazing "gasoline" available here in Denver... it's enough to make me consider shipping in 55 gallon drums of gasoline from KS, but that's another rant for another time. In any case, I'm going to start treating this is a every 3 years or ~24k mile item from now on, and will do it during the yearly coolant/brake/clutch fluids swap in the spring I guess. This time I got from ATE Super Blue to ATE Type 200, no more smurf juice looking at me through the sight glasses, and Honda Coolant with a tablespoon of Redline Water Wetter. I love maintenance!

• Member Contributer

FYI, the fuel pump is replaced as part of the A&A Supercharger kit for the 5th-gen VFR; Toro probably knows where to get OEM equivalent pumps, because he supplies an upgraded pump with the kit.

Ciao,

FYI, the fuel pump is replaced as part of the A&A Supercharger kit for the 5th-gen VFR; Toro probably knows where to get OEM equivalent pumps, because he supplies an upgraded pump with the kit.

Ciao,

It's a Walbro unit.

http://www.walbrofuelpumps.com/

• 2 months later...
Guest Heepspo

I noticed there are 2 different fuel filters listed on ronayers.com parts fiche.

... 16900-MBG-013

... 16900-MBG-003

One costs a couple bucks more. Anyone know the difference?

My 6th just turned over 25k and I'm going to replace the fuel filter this spring, it's original and I'm noticing an increase in midrange lean-surge. It may also be the amazing "gasoline" available here in Denver... it's enough to make me consider shipping in 55 gallon drums of gasoline from KS, but that's another rant for another time. In any case, I'm going to start treating this is a every 3 years or ~24k mile item from now on, and will do it during the yearly coolant/brake/clutch fluids swap in the spring I guess. This time I got from ATE Super Blue to ATE Type 200, no more smurf juice looking at me through the sight glasses, and Honda Coolant with a tablespoon of Redline Water Wetter. I love maintenance!

The VFR fuel filter theres no requirement, its a life time item unless it gets damaged , I'm at 72,000 mile with no valve check and thats required, fuel filter ?? Poof

Not likely to happen, just dont put dirt and water in your tank or not ride and allow it to rust.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I did change my bikes filter for this season, dont know if the oem was still there, bike has 80k kms on the clock.

However did find the dip in the power under 3k rpm ha almost gone, so sure a change for the better.

Its a hassel to change, but seem worth it.

• Member Contributer

I noticed there are 2 different fuel filters listed on ronayers.com parts fiche.

... 16900-MBG-013

... 16900-MBG-003

The -013 is a different spec part than the -003, made by the same contractor, but I don't know what the difference might be. It's usually a revision, so the -003 shouldn't really be available, but could still show up on the system, or could be NOS (new old stock) that was picked up from a bankrupted dealer or something.

Ciao,

• 6 years later...
  • Member Contributer
On 1/7/2012 at 9:30 PM, JeffLaurence said:

Is the filter on the inlet side of the pump or outlet?

The sock filter is on inlet, the metal encased filter is on outlet.

• Member Contributer
On 5/24/2010 at 2:06 AM, Heepspo said:

... 16900-MBG-013

... 16900-MBG-003

16900MBG003 has straight inlet and outlet.  I think 013 has a U shaped inlet.  I appear to have 003 on my 99 FiX, but the parts fiche at a UK supplier (Fowlers) shows a picture of filter with straight inlets and part number 013 - so highly confusing.  

In a Youtube video of someone changing filter on a 2000 model, the filter appears to be 013 with the U shaped inlet.  It may be possible to fit that to an earlier bike, but the rubber pipe which joins from the pump outlet to the filter inlet would need to be modified (see my reply below for an update on this).

I know this is an old thread - but this may help someone finding the info. by Googling - as I did.

• Member Contributer

To add to this - In my case (99 FiX) I ordered the "straight" filter and received one with the U bend in error.  I returned it only to then realise that the rubber pipes could do with replacement as they were starting to crack.  I ordered what I thought was a U shaped pipe (16712MBG000 as shown on the supplier's fiche diagram) but received a straight pipe (16712MBG010) and then found that the U pipe is discontinued.  So it looks like I now need to send back the fuel filter again - grrrr.

There are two rubber pipes (i.e. one between pump and filter (which is what I'm describing above) and one between filter and the tank outlet 16711-MBG-010).  Although only slightly different in length, one is 3 times the price of the other.  If I'd known they were both going to be straight I'd have tried getting some submersible hose and cut to length.