Mounting a remote Radar/GPS

HispanicSlammer

• Forum CEO

gallery_491_1035_59675.jpg

Farkles Farkles Farkles

I got a few motorcycle items for Christmas this year in the form of gift certificates, one was completely anonymous, I thought it was from my sister but she denies it? I don't know who the GC came from perhaps even from one of you members out there?? Whoever it was thanks it was enough to add to my gps fund to finally get one.

GPS

gallery_491_1035_3953.jpeg

Garmin Quest

I chose the Garmin Quest for its small thin size and ease of use, its a bit of a compromise, smaller screen, no expansion memory but its a darn nice unit, water proof and has Garmin quality.

I just ordered the motorcycle kit from Gps City

It came with an auto charger, home charger and a motorcycle charger with base and ram mount. I ended up using the ram arm and base but opted for an angled 1 inch ball with an angled hole that I screwed onto my handle bar at the clip-ons. I already had it and it worked great, much less bulky than the u bolt monster they sent me.

I have never owned a GPS before so its a fun toy to play with, and useful for when I finally start riding out of state this year. I done rode all the roads around here time to start multi day tripping!

I just plugged it into the switched fuse block/ground block I have already installed long ago and secured the wires with zip ties.

Radar Detector

I had a cheap Bell last summer that was worthless, I don't have the budget for a Valentine and saw this inexpensive Whistler remote radar detector on the net.

gallery_491_1035_43409.jpeg

Radar Detector Includes Remote sensors - radar and laser - various mounting tabs

Whistler DE3500

I like the idea of a remote sensor since there is not many places to mount a radar detector on a motorcycle, this unit has a weather proof radar detector and a remote laser sensor.

gallery_491_1035_65272.jpg

Remote radar sensor mounted

gallery_491_1035_21885.jpg

Bolted on I used RTV sealant, brass screws, double nut pinch tightened, with rubber washers to protect the plastic.

gallery_491_1035_69328.jpg

1 inch drilled hole removed the headlight and drilled a hole for the laser sensor.

gallery_491_1035_39202.jpg

laser sensor

gallery_491_1035_95057.jpg

laser sensor installed The 5th gen light housing has a third light notch in the middle I used that space for the laser sensor it sets back in a bit and out of the head light beams, getting a full 180 degree sweep for laser detection and stealth.

gallery_491_1035_11765.jpg

Mounted it came with a metal mounting tab that I screwed into the base, then I used a rubber tire patch to cover it with and sealed the whole thing tight with RTV silicone.

gallery_491_1035_23835.jpg

Front view of both sensors

This unit has a temperature probe and also displays the battery voltage when programmed to do that. I like that feature to monitor my RR when on the road. My beef with this thing is that when I finally got it mounted and plugged into the fuse block it would not communicate with the remote sensor, I had to move it around and play with wires and test them for continuity. I also don't like the sound plug, you have to use this proprietary speaker that gives voice alerts for another $40 bucks, F-that I soldiered a couple leads to the speaker and made a little sound lead for it myself, works great.

Both the GPS and the Radar detector are wired into my mixer isolator box I bought off the net. It was available for a short while but is no longer being sold?? Its just a box with 2 mono inputs and 1 stereo input with a jack for my ear-buds. It mixes the sound and isolates the signal so it wont damage your electronics. I like it but it cuts my mp3 player output in half I have to crank it up to hear it. Its nice to hear the radar detector and listen to music on the slab, now my gps tells me to turn here and there too with a fake computer voice. I had a link to the mixer box in the links section but the guys website disappeared so I think he went out of business, its a simple little box solid state isolator mixer, no frills unit. I have my mp3 player attached to the right side master cylinder its easy to adjust volume and flip songs/mute.

Hey now I AM A GEEKED UP VIFFER FOR SURE NOW!

gallery_491_1035_59675.jpg

Dash Displays Whistler DE3500 Remote radar Detector, Garmin Quest GPS unit

• Member Contributer

i recently got the quest also, I like it so far. Make sure to go to Garmin's web site and order latest version of map software, you get one upgrade free. Also be sure and download the latest firmware, and if you want it, you need to download the latest voice software seperately and install it. I just got the version 2 voice and it is much less irritating than the one that came with mine.

Guest VFR800A Brandon

Your gonna really like that Quest Miguel, I got one last year, its not big and bulky. The Quest may not have all the bells and whistles of more expensive models, but its got a nice size screen and it points you in the right direction. I cant remember if you ever use a tank bag, but you might find that with that mount the Quest gets in the way. I ended up using the ram mount off the brake reservoir to clear the bag during turns. :thumbsup:

Guest CementHead

HC,

Nice choice on the Quest, I'm leaning the same way...

Just a word about the mounting position for the Whistler. I have an '01 with the stock springs. As I weigh more than the Honda "ideal" rider, I find that I compress my front suspension during spirited braking to the point where I cannot mount anything in the position that you have the Whistler. had[/u] horns in that area. sad.gif ] Take care on your first ride...

• Forum CEO

Yes that was somthing I was concerned about but I can look at my forks and see that I dont compress them that much. I have the stiffest race tech springs in my forks that you can get.

Guest CementHead
Yes that was somthing I was concerned about but I can look at my forks and see that I dont compress them that much.  I have the stiffest race tech springs in my forks that you can get.

Fair enough. Really, if I think about it, I would have only been braking that hard in a straight line anyway... but, the marks on my fender are still there! I need stiffer springs.

Ride well.

• Forum CEO

its a cheesy Lockhart Phillips cover I got from my local dealer, just hanging on the accesories area wall. Probably find it from any LP dealer, or from them directly. I have the lp link in the links database click "links" above to find it.

• Member Contributer

Miguel,

I seem to remember you using a small computer, libretto maybe in your tankbag. Is the GPS to replace this?

Gordon

• Member Contributer

I seriously considered that Whistler but l wound up going with a standard detector. I've had my detector mounted under the front cowl for a while and only hit the fender once on a big pothole. Oh and I'm no lightweight either. Can't wait to hear how well it works.

• Forum CEO

Gordon, the mini laptop stopped working, burned up somthing on the power board not as a result of the use on the bike. It was not very good in direct sunlight and huge on the tank. It was an experiment that only worked once.

Guest ScottyDo

Excellent choice on the Quest. I just ordered mine last week from Amazon - scheduled to arrive in 2 days. :joystick: I haven't figured out which RAM mount yet though, I ordered the Garmin motorcyle mount from Buy.com for $45 and am waiting to see what it looks like first. I am concerned that with my tank bag fully loaded (Tourmaster tri-bag) that I won't be able to see the Quest. :goofy:

Guest happypenguin

Slammer, congrats on the farkles! Could you give some more info on how you mounted the Quest? Your mounting looks a little more practical than mine.

I used the top half of the RAM handlebar mount on the front tank bolts. It works pretty well, but the tank bag can get in the way sometimes.

• Member Contributer

I just have my ValentineOne velcroed to the top of my stem stand and it works like a charm. BIG piece of velcro. Don't want that puppy coming off when I'm doing...ummmmmmmm...precicely the speed limit. :thumbsup:

• Forum CEO

ramb272.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Used this piece on the clip on bolt, and of course used a longer bolt, one I had in my toolbox. Just put it between the clipon and the bolt.

questmbgar.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

This is what it came with, I used the ball at the top instead of the u bolt.

Of course you can get all this stuff at http://www.gpscity.com

I dont use a tankbag anymore, I have a Givi topbag that I use all the time now.

• Member Contributer

Alright Slammer....no more leading group rides with all those gadgets onboard. How can you possibly pay attention while... :music:, and :joystick:, and :goofy:

;

btw - is the new detector working well?

• Member Contributer

I have a Garmin 376C w/ XM radio & Weather. Used a spare Ram handle bar mount (RAM-B-309-1) which happens to be the same mount for a Goldwing's bars. Now I can swap the GPS from car to both bikes. Just need a new wiring harness for the VFR! I use the 5" mount bar & gives me plenty of room to adjust & miss windshield. I may do the Yoke mount or handlebar base mount later. We'll see how it works, but I was pleased with the way the RAM handlebar mount worked this weekend. Did about 140 miles Sat and about 60 today & worked great as we did some exploring.

CycleGadgets.com (http://www.cyclegadgets.com/) has Kennedy interface kits for GPS, radio, cell...whatever you need Kennedy probably makes it.

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=KT-MOD

BTW, HispanicSlammer, what are all the little LED lights you have mounted in your dash & windscreen frame??? Also where did you get the right handlebar toggle switch on the control mount...under kill switch marked "H" & "L". Extra lights?? You got as many farkles as a lot of Wingers!

• Forum CEO

gallery_491_1035_59675.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Dash Displays Whistler DE3500 Remote radar Detector, Garmin Quest GPS unit.

Toggle switch is a mini on off on toggle switch purchased at Radio Shack, its for my grip heaters, and the two led lights on the dash light up when the heaters are on, yellow for low, red for high.

The red led on the far left top is for my dual burning headlights, it lights up when I switch on the super high lights (low and high filimaments burning at the same time) its mostly warning for daylight riding, I dont want it on in the daylight.

• Forum CEO

I havent ridden with it yet, It was not working correctly at first, I had to rewire it as it uses the power wires as an antenna. When I am actually awake during the day, and its not so cold I will make a few runs past the static radar spots here in town that tell you your speed and to slow down.

Unfortunatly I burned the palm of my hand with a soldiering iron and its been too tender to ride with.

• 6 months later...
I havent ridden with it yet, It was not working correctly at first, I had to rewire it as it uses the power wires as an antenna. When I am actually awake during the day, and its not so cold I will make a few runs past the static radar spots here in town that tell you your speed and to slow down.

Unfortunatly I burned the palm of my hand with a soldiering iron and its been too tender to ride with.

I want to install a radar detector. I've seen the blogs on the whistler. If you had to buy one (considering pice), and install which would you suggest. I want to make sure that it can keep up with the current tech of the guns.