929/954 Shock Install (5th Gen)

Veefer800Canuck

• Member Contributer
I have seen several of these with round spacers. Anyone concerned about the shock rotating, since the oem square bracket is no longer "keyed" by the frame channel? I guess it's remote, but I don't know for sure.

Zach - I have a stock 5th Gen mount on order. ONce it arrives, I'll try to take some measurements if you're still looking. I also have a 929 shock, so I can take some measurements of that, as well.

Dan B

Thanks, but I couldn't wait so I bought a mount and I already have my shock. I got as far as measuring and drawing up the stock mount, just haven't made up longer mounts yet, or the flats to have them cut out on the laser :blink: Once I'm done with it I'll one for sale, and as soon as I get the new shock in I'll have another useless one :blink: I need to either look at my notes or read through this again :fing02: to see what kind of dimensions worked for others and then I was going to make a few mounts, in something like 5mm increments. I'm hoping to make it along the same design of the stock mount, but tall of flanges are kind of limiting with the tooling we have for forming and also being that much taller it will need more support so it doesn't fold over...

I don't think there should be any concern for the upper shock mount rotating. There are no forces exerting on it to do so and as long as the mount is tight...

Zach571

I'd be very interested in one of your brackets when you get them made up. I have the shock already, it's just sitting there in a box waiting for the slightly warmer weather so I can get my ass in gear and do this mod.

Please, let me know when you have some done.

Thanks,

Paul.

:blink:

Have a shock ready to go would like to see a bracket also.

• Member Contributer
I have seen several of these with round spacers. Anyone concerned about the shock rotating, since the oem square bracket is no longer "keyed" by the frame channel? I guess it's remote, but I don't know for sure.

Zach - I have a stock 5th Gen mount on order. ONce it arrives, I'll try to take some measurements if you're still looking. I also have a 929 shock, so I can take some measurements of that, as well.

Dan B

Thanks, but I couldn't wait so I bought a mount and I already have my shock. I got as far as measuring and drawing up the stock mount, just haven't made up longer mounts yet, or the flats to have them cut out on the laser :biggrin: Once I'm done with it I'll one for sale, and as soon as I get the new shock in I'll have another useless one :blush: I need to either look at my notes or read through this again :biggrin: to see what kind of dimensions worked for others and then I was going to make a few mounts, in something like 5mm increments. I'm hoping to make it along the same design of the stock mount, but tall of flanges are kind of limiting with the tooling we have for forming and also being that much taller it will need more support so it doesn't fold over...

I don't think there should be any concern for the upper shock mount rotating. There are no forces exerting on it to do so and as long as the mount is tight...

Zach571

I'd be very interested in one of your brackets when you get them made up. I have the shock already, it's just sitting there in a box waiting for the slightly warmer weather so I can get my ass in gear and do this mod.

Please, let me know when you have some done.

Thanks,

Paul.

+1.gif

Have a shock ready to go would like to see a bracket also.

Try this site Daugherty Motorsports. Jamie has been a great help to me, I have not done anything YET, but will when I have the cash. His stuff looks Top notch!!! :cool:

Travis

Guest Earache
Progress report... I bought a replacement bolt (100mm, which is 30mm longer than stock) and made the aluminum spacer (see the drawing below; unfortunately, it does not look as good in flesh - made with a hacksaw and a file instead of a milling machine). The 929 shock seems to fit, I will probably try to put it all together tomorrow.

gallery_11554_3576_13425.gif

This would be the perfect bracket for the fourth gen!

Just to clarify my measurements, the 41.5mm measurement on my adapter corresponds to CitizenOfDreams' 36mm measurement.

I can easily whip some of these up if you guys want them - have lathe, mills and associated stuff at my home shop.

Cost wouldn't be much - just a few $ for shipping. I have enough aluminum scrap lying around to make a couple.

Could also make the round tubular style pretty easily if you'd rather have that style.

Edited by Earache

• Member Contributer

That would be awesome earache, the drawing there though is for a fourth gen bike, we or at least I need one for a fifth gen, I think the size is a little different, but really sure of the size. Does anybody else have the correct 5th gen specs.?

Guest Earache
That would be awesome earache, the drawing there though is for a fourth gen bike, we or at least I need one for a fifth gen, I think the size is a little different, but really sure of the size. Does anybody else have the correct 5th gen specs.?

Gotcha - someone come up with the dimensions and I'll make a couple of them.

I could use some final dimensions as well for what works for the 5th gen. Either the specs of your mount, our the difference between your mount and the factory mount. Seems the R and D has been done already and I won't be able to try out different lengths till April at the very earliest. The final length of the 5th gen mounts hasn't really been spelled out too well, yet. Thanks for any help on that.

I'll post up when I get some done, but would be easier if I had a dimension to work with :cool:

Zach571

• 2 weeks later...

I could use some final dimensions as well for what works for the 5th gen. Either the specs of your mount, our the difference between your mount and the factory mount. Seems the R and D has been done already and I won't be able to try out different lengths till April at the very earliest. The final length of the 5th gen mounts hasn't really been spelled out too well, yet. Thanks for any help on that.

I'll post up when I get some done, but would be easier if I had a dimension to work with :fing02:

Zach571

Hey Zach - thought I'd follow up on this...need to get the beast fixed up for an upcoming ride.

I know you have a stock bracket in hand, so I am 99% sure you need to add 42mm in height to the existing bracket, and the resulting longer bolt would need to be 110-115mm long, M10 diameter.

I called a welder, sent him some pics and mockup...said it would cost $200 to add the spacer, or $150 to just fab a new, longer bracket, like the one you drew.

Any chance you can fab one up for me for less than that?

Dan B

I'll post up when I get some done, but would be easier if I had a dimension to work with :fing02:

Zach571

Hey Zach - thought I'd follow up on this...need to get the beast fixed up for an upcoming ride.

I know you have a stock bracket in hand, so I am 99% sure you need to add 42mm in height to the existing bracket, and the resulting longer bolt would need to be 110-115mm long, M10 diameter.

I called a welder, sent him some pics and mockup...said it would cost $200 to add the spacer, or $150 to just fab a new, longer bracket, like the one you drew.

Dan B

Uh, yea, I should be able to beat $200 no problem, including shipping wink.gif . 42mm sounds right as well from what I recall reading through this thread. I'm really hoping some of these guys who have had there's in for a while will post up how its working for them and either the new dimensions of their bracket or how much longer their bracket is now. My design, (if it works out, gotta make one up and see how it looks as far as strength goes) will require a new bolt, but will not require it to be any longer than the stock one. Not to mention, shouldn't require any welding, unless there a gusset will be required with that extra length, an inch and 5/8's is how much longer the bracket will need to be. Also, it should be "keyed" with the frame rail as the factory one is.

Dan B, pm me on the subject. How soon are you looking for this?? I'm thinking of installing my 929 shock after I can put a couple hundred miles on this spring. That way I have something to compare it too, need to refamiliarize myself with how it handles with the stock one first. Anyways, that boils down to the fact that I may not be the first one to use my bracket :biggrin:

Zach571

Edited by Zach571

• Member Contributer

Zach571

Dan B

Uh, yea, I should be able to beat $200 no problem, including shipping wink.gif . 42mm sounds right as well from what I recall reading through this thread. I'm really hoping some of these guys who have had there's in for a while will post up how its working for them and either the new dimensions of their bracket or how much longer their bracket is now. My design, (if it works out, gotta make one up and see how it looks as far as strength goes) will require a new bolt, but will not require it to be any longer than the stock one. Not to mention, shouldn't require any welding, unless there a gusset will be required with that extra length, an inch and 5/8's is how much longer the bracket will need to be. Also, it should be "keyed" with the frame rail as the factory one is.

Dan B, pm me on the subject. How soon are you looking for this?? I'm thinking of installing my 929 shock after I can put a couple hundred miles on this spring. That way I have something to compare it too, need to refamiliarize myself with how it handles with the stock one first. Anyways, that boils down to the fact that I may not be the first one to use my bracket :biggrin:

Zach571

Darn if a spacer gets anywheres near 100,me thinks the stock shock my doing just fine,not to say the time and effort not worth xx amout but it is just a spacer.

Mike

• Member Contributer

My wife got me an ebay 929 shock with triangles and dog bone for xmas.

I finally have my workshop such that I can nearly walk into it without tripping on boxes and bins and what not.

Seb suggested I use one end of the dogbone for the spacer, so I took out my trusty sawzall and went to it.

The first blade I attempted to use was a carbide/diamond blade for cutting hard metal. After 20 minutes of sawing I ended up with a clogged blade and barely cut into the dog bone. So I pulled a new 'demolition' blade out and chucked it into the saw. 30 seconds later I had both sides of the dogbone cut. I'll use a grinding bit in my drill press to smooth everything over.

I still can't find my calipers, but my metric tape measure says that the DB is ~34mm. According to previous posts it looks like I'll need 2 washers to make up the 38 to 43 mm to get the correct geometry.

I'll be building my redneck bike table tomorrow and hope to get setup to finally pull the viffer shock. Can grade 8 bolts be had at the orange box store?

If this works out, I'll be offering up the other dogbone end pay-it-forward style...

Oh, and I'll have pix when I work it all out.

• Member Contributer
My wife got me an ebay 929 shock with triangles and dog bone for xmas.

I finally have my workshop such that I can nearly walk into it without tripping on boxes and bins and what not.

Seb suggested I use one end of the dogbone for the spacer, so I took out my trusty sawzall and went to it.

The first blade I attempted to use was a carbide/diamond blade for cutting hard metal. After 20 minutes of sawing I ended up with a clogged blade and barely cut into the dog bone. So I pulled a new 'demolition' blade out and chucked it into the saw. 30 seconds later I had both sides of the dogbone cut. I'll use a grinding bit in my drill press to smooth everything over.

I still can't find my calipers, but my metric tape measure says that the DB is ~34mm. According to previous posts it looks like I'll need 2 washers to make up the 38 to 43 mm to get the correct geometry.

I'll be building my redneck bike table tomorrow and hope to get setup to finally pull the viffer shock. Can grade 8 bolts be had at the orange box store?

If this works out, I'll be offering up the other dogbone end pay-it-forward style...

Oh, and I'll have pix when I work it all out.

I'm going to install the shock just to see if I can without spending any extra funds.

• Member Contributer

I didn't get a chance to get real time in the mancave last night, but I did steal away a bit of time to find my caliper and measure the height of the dog bone. I'll get more pix when I have 'real time' in the cave.

The measure width of the dogbone is 36 mm. I'm going to run to the orange box after work today and pick up a new bolt and a couple of washers.

The picture below shows what the CFO got me for xmas and where I cut the dogbone to make the spacer.

gallery_1632_2886_521.jpg

929 dogbone cut.

Tonight, for sure, I'll build my redneck bike table and strip plastics off (shock is only 1 item on long maintenance list).

Hi all. I wounder if anyone can say how long a stock 5th gen rear shock is, middle lower to upper mount?

I found a lot length diffrrense here but not the actual mesure...

Thanks.

I dont know if it wil help, but since I put on the 929 shock, I have a spare 5th generation shoc that anybody is welcome to have for their 4th gen. (i dont know if the 5th gen is any better than the 4th gen)

I dont know if it wil help, but since I put on the 929 shock, I have a spare 5th generation shoc that anybody is welcome to have for their 4th gen. (i dont know if the 5th gen is any better than the 4th gen)

Hi, Can you mesure how long the stock 5th gen shock is?

I´m currius to know. I try to figur out to fit a 4th gen Öhlins to my 5th gen, but dont want to take out the shock if any can mesure from one alredy out.

Thanks

• Member Contributer

I´m currius to know. I try to figur out to fit a 4th gen Öhlins to my 5th gen, but dont want to take out the shock if any can mesure from one alredy out.

Thanks

My 5th gen shock is ~ 12 13/16" (325mm) eye-center to eye-center.

Thanks

Thanks!

My 12"/300mm caliper says that the 929 shock is 286.4mm, so a 38mm difference. All this is for a 5th gen, I do not know about how the others are setup. I made up a mount tonight, well did the actual forming and welding tonight, at 42 mm longer than stock. Dan, I'll be working on a PM for ya after this post :fing02: . It is made of 7ga/.187" stainless steel, but with a 10.9 bolt. Hard enough to find a stainless bolt in 10X1.25 the way it is, plus from my bit of searching, not an adequate strength available. The bolt is welded in, not going anywhere, all the welds are TIG welded. All I had to go off making this was measuring a new stock mount that I got at the dealer, my 929 shock, and the info on here, so I really hope it works. Dan is my guinea pig as I won't be able to put mine on, much less ride it before he does :mad: When I get to mine I will probably make up a few different lengths, or at least a 38mm to go along with my current 42mm. That way if I get bored I can toss in the other mount and see how it affects the handling, somehow I doubt that will happen but...

Not that it has to look pretty but I bead blasted it when I was done. Sitting next to the stock mount:

l_c87407d8cd574358836c996afeeafd09.jpg

929 shock and new mount:

l_7eefb489a4b34a93939935f43f85f5c1.jpg

l_b56e2587e9454d179128e5c5602ae1d8.jpg

Zach571

Edited by Zach571

What about the talk of an adapter that you could reuse your old mount? Something like this:

mount.jpg

I guess I missed that talk, the idea of making an adapter and still using the stock mount never crossed my mind. I haven't put much thought into it, but I don't think that an adapter would be feasible. That makes for another bolt that could come loose or fail. You have to track down another bolt, my mount completely replaces the stock one and reuses all of the original fasteners. I'm not fond of adding another piece, more chances for failure.

More than one way to skin a cat :fing02: As seen in this thread there have been several different methods shown that ended with the same results.

Zach571

What about the talk of an adapter that you could reuse your old mount? Something like this:

mount.jpg

I guess I missed that talk, the idea of making an adapter and still using the stock mount never crossed my mind. I haven't put much thought into it, but I don't think that an adapter would be feasible. That makes for another bolt that could come loose or fail. You have to track down another bolt, my mount completely replaces the stock one and reuses all of the original fasteners. I'm not fond of adding another piece, more chances for failure.

More than one way to skin a cat :fing02: As seen in this thread there have been several different methods shown that ended with the same results.

Zach571

I like the look of your bracket and not grinding down the bolt head is a plus! Are you making more? smile.gif

mount.jpg

Zach571

I like the look of your bracket and not grinding down the bolt head is a plus! Are you making more? smile.gif

I can, I won't be stocking them on a shelf though. Made to order.

Zach571

Ok got the shock in but coils a no go for stock placement. Anyone with a 4 gen have an idea what you did? Do the coils need to be grounded via the bracket? Thanks Brian

Edited by SLO97VFR