929/954 Shock Install (5th Gen)

Veefer800Canuck

• Member Contributer

Yep, I have a 100% 929 shock. It does not interfere with the battery box, but _reinstalling_ the box (getting the metal heat shield between the shock and the fender) was a pain. Had to bend the shield, put it in place, then un-bend it.

Guest jonacol
I just finished this mod on my fourth gen.

When you were removing the 4th gen riginal shock, did you get any clearance problems? I'm fighting the removal of mine at the moment. I've removed the lower triangle plates, unbolted the top shock mount at the frame but it doesn't want to drop out, bottom shock eye hits the lower dog bone and won't go low enough to wriggle the shock out. Any ideas?

I just finished this mod on my fourth gen.

When you were removing the 4th gen riginal shock, did you get any clearance problems? I'm fighting the removal of mine at the moment. I've removed the lower triangle plates, unbolted the top shock mount at the frame but it doesn't want to drop out, bottom shock eye hits the lower dog bone and won't go low enough to wriggle the shock out. Any ideas?

On most VFR's when trying to remove the rear shock you will find it much easier if you jack up the swing arm before trying to remove the shock, this gives you much more room to shift the shock around to get it out!

• Member Contributer

+1 on raising the swingarm with a jack. Since the linkage is unbolted and you are only lifting the swingarm and not the entire rear of the bike, not a lot of force is needed so even a helper with 2x4 placed underneath (the board not the helper!) the arm will leverage it up enough to give you more working room to remove the shock. A jack will be more precise during reinstallation tho'.

Also, leave the upper mount in place in the frame until later. Then remove it separately to do the lengthening mod on it.

• Member Contributer
When you were removing the 4th gen riginal shock, did you get any clearance problems?

The 4th gen shock WILL NOT go out from the bottom, even if you take the triangle and the dog bone off (which you should do anyway to clean and lubricate the bearings inside it). The hole in the swingarm is not big enough.

You need to remove the ignition coils (easy), the starter relay (easy), the battery (easy) and the battery box (not so easy). Then the shock will happily slide up and out.

Guest jonacol
When you were removing the 4th gen riginal shock, did you get any clearance problems?

The 4th gen shock WILL NOT go out from the bottom, even if you take the triangle and the dog bone off (which you should do anyway to clean and lubricate the bearings inside it). The hole in the swingarm is not big enough.

You need to remove the ignition coils (easy), the starter relay (easy), the battery (easy) and the battery box (not so easy). Then the shock will happily slide up and out.

Arrr, will go for it again tonight then. More spanner twirling then, thanks for the heads up I was starting to doubt my sanity.

While I've got easy access to the new shock, what base line settings are people using? I'm about 85kg suited up.

Guest slowf2337
While I've got easy access to the new shock, what base line settings are people using?

Baseline? Sag? Preload? Rebound? Spring rate? Don't talk that advanced jargon to me, I will be happy just to have a shock that works. :cool:

You should have bought an Ohlins if you want one that works! LOL :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
Progress report... I bought a replacement bolt (100mm, which is 30mm longer than stock) and made the aluminum spacer (see the drawing below; unfortunately, it does not look as good in flesh - made with a hacksaw and a file instead of a milling machine). The 929 shock seems to fit, I will probably try to put it all together tomorrow.

gallery_11554_3576_13425.gif

This would be the perfect bracket for the fourth gen!

Just to clarify my measurements, the 41.5mm measurement on my adapter corresponds to CitizenOfDreams' 36mm measurement.

• 2 weeks later...
So... I decided to follow the trend and replace the rear shock on my 4th gen VFR with a newer CBR929 part. Here are the measurements I got:

- 4th gen VFR shock, eye center to eye center fully extended - 324mm

- CBR929 (yellow spring) shock, eye center to eye center fully extended - 288mm (36mm shorter)

- 4th gen VFR shock bracket, eye center to top surface - 25mm

- New bracket to be made, eye center to top surface - 61mm

Any corrections and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

gallery_11554_3576_28599.jpg

I'm planning on tackling this project on my '98 before spring. I just won a bid on a shock ($25 plus $10 shipping and I was the only bidder, 8500 miles on it so I'm not going to do anything with it, just toss it in), with a white spring, so it should be the Erion if I read everything correctly.

I could form up (I run a press brake for a living) a bracket like CitizenOfDreams has posted up. It would be pretty easy to ship if ppl were interested in one of there own. To do so I need the dimensions of the stock mount, minus the bolt, and then also the overall length that is needed to accommodate the 929 shock. If no one has that info I will purchase one to measure, but I'd really appreciate the dimensions. It would save me time and some money. I'm really only interested in the 5th gen one, but if someone gives me the numbers I can make up one for a 4th gen as well. I'm looking at making the bracket just like CitizenOfDreams has pictured (maybe with a gusset between the legs tho, (those legs are 2.5" long) depends upon what kinda material thickness is there. Aluminum wouldn't be strong enough at that thickness, but I can certainly do steel or stainless steel, stronger than steel and won't rust. Then it would bolt up just like stock and you would be able to keep the stock mount in case you ever needed to return it to stock.

From what I read it looks like the 5th gen requires a 37mm to 45mm extra to accommodate the shock, but I need to know the stock mount dimensions to start with. The overall I'm looking for isn't just the bare minimum to run the shock, but also if say 5mm longer helps the handling by increasing the ride height I'd like to toss that in right away. I like learning from other peoples "mistakes" (trial and errors) Also, I guess, I could make them in several different lengths too.

Like I said, making 20 is just as easy as making 1.

Thanks,

Zach571

Edited by Zach571

• Member Contributer
Like I said, making 20 is just as easy as making 1.

:biggrin: You could make several brackets of different length in 5mm steps!

As for me, my aluminum spacer seems to work fine. But somebody else may be interested in those brackets. The only issue that I see is liability. Should something go wrong, not necessarily because of a bracket failure... it could turn ugly on the road and even uglier in the court. One thing is posting your designs and ideas, entirely different thing is manufacturing safety-critical parts for someone else.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the VFR spanner wrench work on the 929 shock?? Ultimately that doesn't matter to me because my bike didn't have the tool kit with it when I purchased it, so I plan on making a spanner wrench. I haven't installed my 929 shock yet, so I have that to measure to make the spanner wrench. If any one wants I can make up a bunch of them, should fit in an envelope pretty easily.

It looks like by the pics that it is a straight shot in to get the spanner wrench on the shock. Is that the case or does it need to have a kink in it or any special requests?? Can someone with a stock spanner wrench tell me how long it is, just curious as I have nothing to work off of here.

Zach571

• Member Contributer
Does the VFR spanner wrench work on the 929 shock??

If you are talking about the spanner that you use to adjust chain tension, then no. You need to buy (or otherwise procure) the CBR pin wrench (part number 89202-KY1-700, $11.28 at Honda Direct Line.) It's a fairly straight shot on my 4th gen, don't know about 5th.

• Member Contributer

Well I found this thread helpful, especially the pictures, so I thought I'd add a few of my own that might help others doing this swap.

I dug through my bin of "crap-I-thought-might-come-in-handy-someday" and found some aluminum bar, pre-drilled and with a set screw. I think it may have been part of a bicycle wind trainer but not sure. Whatever it is, it fit the bill perfectly. :laugh:

DSCN1648.jpg

I cut down the spacer and ended up at 66mm eye to end. This should give a tad bit more ride height as Jamie suggested. On the left you can see how much of the old bolt had to be ground away before it could be tapped out.

DSCN1665.jpg

Mounted on shock........

DSCN1670.jpg

And how it sits on the 4th gen frame.....

DSCN1650.jpg

-18 F here this morning so no test rides....have to wait till spring :blush:

Anybody have any feedback on compression/rebound settings? (I'm about 225lbs without gear)

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen several of these with round spacers. Anyone concerned about the shock rotating, since the oem square bracket is no longer "keyed" by the frame channel? I guess it's remote, but I don't know for sure.

Zach - I have a stock 5th Gen mount on order. ONce it arrives, I'll try to take some measurements if you're still looking. I also have a 929 shock, so I can take some measurements of that, as well.

Dan B

I have seen several of these with round spacers. Anyone concerned about the shock rotating, since the oem square bracket is no longer "keyed" by the frame channel? I guess it's remote, but I don't know for sure.

Zach - I have a stock 5th Gen mount on order. ONce it arrives, I'll try to take some measurements if you're still looking. I also have a 929 shock, so I can take some measurements of that, as well.

Dan B

Thanks, but I couldn't wait so I bought a mount and I already have my shock. I got as far as measuring and drawing up the stock mount, just haven't made up longer mounts yet, or the flats to have them cut out on the laser :huh: Once I'm done with it I'll one for sale, and as soon as I get the new shock in I'll have another useless one :blink: I need to either look at my notes or read through this again :biggrin: to see what kind of dimensions worked for others and then I was going to make a few mounts, in something like 5mm increments. I'm hoping to make it along the same design of the stock mount, but tall of flanges are kind of limiting with the tooling we have for forming and also being that much taller it will need more support so it doesn't fold over...

I don't think there should be any concern for the upper shock mount rotating. There are no forces exerting on it to do so and as long as the mount is tight...

Zach571

Mine never moved.

All the forces on the shock are vertical, there are no rotational forces in play.

• Member Contributer

I thought about that....but I really don't think there are any twisting forces that would cause it to rotate. If it did it wouldn't go too far before being stopped by the battery box. If it's ever a problem I'll just drill the spacer for a small roll pin or similar to keep it in place. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer
Does the VFR spanner wrench work on the 929 shock??

If you are talking about the spanner that you use to adjust chain tension, then no. You need to buy (or otherwise procure) the CBR pin wrench (part number 89202-KY1-700, $11.28 at Honda Direct Line.) It's a fairly straight shot on my 4th gen, don't know about 5th.

Thank you for posting the part # :fing02:

Travis

Mine never moved.

All the forces on the shock are vertical, there are no rotational forces in play.

Unless, of course, you ever want to adjust the preload. It's "keyed" to the crossmember in the oem version, I figured that was why.

Dan B

Mine never moved.

Unless, of course, you ever want to adjust the preload. It's "keyed" to the crossmember in the oem version, I figured that was why.

Dan B

I don't recall any difficucty setting mine, but I wasn't at the top of the preload range either.

Basically, once your preload is set, it's set.

Unless you fuss setting it for a short-hop passenger, each and every time.

• Member Contributer

Dan B

Thanks, but I couldn't wait so I bought a mount and I already have my shock. I got as far as measuring and drawing up the stock mount, just haven't made up longer mounts yet, or the flats to have them cut out on the laser :blink: Once I'm done with it I'll one for sale, and as soon as I get the new shock in I'll have another useless one :blink: I need to either look at my notes or read through this again :fing02: to see what kind of dimensions worked for others and then I was going to make a few mounts, in something like 5mm increments. I'm hoping to make it along the same design of the stock mount, but tall of flanges are kind of limiting with the tooling we have for forming and also being that much taller it will need more support so it doesn't fold over...

I don't think there should be any concern for the upper shock mount rotating. There are no forces exerting on it to do so and as long as the mount is tight...

Zach571

I'd be very interested in one of your brackets when you get them made up. I have the shock already, it's just sitting there in a box waiting for the slightly warmer weather so I can get my ass in gear and do this mod.

Please, let me know when you have some done.

Thanks,

Paul.