929/954 Shock Install (5th Gen)

Veefer800Canuck

I put my 929 shock into my 5th gen today. I used part of a 1/4" x 1 1/4" kart axle for the spacer, and made it 45mm longer than stock including the washer. Heavy and not as elegant as some of the other beautiful spacers people have made, but I'm way more overweight than the bike anyway. Plus I only spent $35 for the shock and 3/8 grade 8 hardware.

Due to the larger diameter spacer, I had to grind a little notch in the top of the spacer to clear the protruding angle in the frame rail. No clearance issues. I rode about 15 miles this am, starting with the preload on the 3th increment from max, with damping set in the middle on both comp. and rebound. So far seems like an improvement in ride quality and control compared to the old stock shock.

I put my 929 shock into my 5th gen today. I used part of a 1/4" x 1 1/4" kart axle for the spacer, and made it 45mm longer than stock including the washer. Heavy and not as elegant as some of the other beautiful spacers people have made, but I'm way more overweight than the bike anyway. Plus I only spent $35 for the shock and 3/8 grade 8 hardware.

Due to the larger diameter spacer, I had to grind a little notch in the top of the spacer to clear the protruding angle in the frame rail. No clearance issues. I rode about 15 miles this am, starting with the preload on the 3th increment from max, with damping set in the middle on both comp. and rebound. So far seems like an improvement in ride quality and control compared to the old stock shock.

Try and set up the shock by your sag measurements. If you are over 170 lbs you may need to get a heavier spring in her.

• Like 1

Try and set up the shock by your sag measurements. If you are over 170 lbs you may need to get a heavier spring in her.

Yeah I'm hopefully going to get time to do some measurements later in the week and tweak as needed. I had to get it back together and then get to work supervising my son's science fair project. (I thought suspension upgrades would be a good topic, but got voted down by mom and teacher). I'm about 210 with gear and planning to send everything out to get more appropriate spring rates over the winter.

• 1 month later...

Hi there!

I have been reading this forum for a long time, but not it's my first reply...smile.gif

Please, sorry for my really bad english, but i need your help...

Tried to find someone, who did 929 shock mod with 3rd Gen?

• 5 weeks later...
Guest ScottyDont

Looks like I'll be the latest one to drag this topic out of the depths...

Did anyone decide that they would be willing to fab up one of the mounts that works with the 5th Gen/929 shock for the general public? :wheel: If so, what was the cost? I saw a few people in this thread that said they would make more of them, but I didn't see any followup.

• Member Contributer

Looks like I'll be the latest one to drag this topic out of the depths...

Did anyone decide that they would be willing to fab up one of the mounts that works with the 5th Gen/929 shock for the general public? :wheel: If so, what was the cost? I saw a few people in this thread that said they would make more of them, but I didn't see any followup.

I've been doing that for almost a year now. The cost is $270 which includes the conversion to the 929 shock to make it fit the VFR plus a new spring (the 929 spring is too soft, by the way). This is a modification to the shock itself which makes it a bolt-on replacement for the stock unit, not a separate bracket. PM me if you would like more details!

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

I know I'm a little late to the party here but...

Just throwing my $.02 in. Made a spacer and shims so I could "quickly" check out the 929 shock. Thinking of a Daugherty Motorsports makeover if I come to really like it. Really like zach571's design and syjang40's solid billet mount too. First impressions: Much more taut. Much more stable in mid-turn bumps. Need to dial in the comp and rebound. I added a little ride height (10mm). I like the effects of that.

I think I spent as long trying to carefully trim the battery box around the reservoir as making the spacer.

btw if anyone can tell me how a 5th gen battery box could possibly not need trimming for this mod, I'd love to know.

Thanks to everyone (HS, BR, Veefer et.al) who figured this all out for me. (Still took me all day+.)

post-19514-0-10001700-1311462755_thumb.j

post-19514-0-23700300-1311462773_thumb.j

• Member Contributer

btw if anyone can tell me how a 5th gen battery box could possibly not need trimming for this mod, I'd love to know.

I added a little ride height (10mm).

You kinda answered your own question there. I added a little more than 10mm to mine ( I have to be sure it's on flat, level ground for the rear tire to spin on the center stand). The reservoir is pushing against the plastic below the fuse block, but it's been that way for 20K+ miles, and hasn't hurt anything. The bike holds a line much better on corner exits under throttle now too.

• 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Didnt have a metric bit for aluminum, ended up with a nice spacer, but not a tight fit around the metric 10.9 grade bolt.

Should this be ok?

Something tells me, not ideal, could introduce movement or slop in the connection. Another argument is that the forces are up and down, once bolted in snug, there should be no torquing laterally. That doesnt seem right either though.

Or does an imperial bolt (sorry the sizes escape me) pass through the frame ok, in which case I would use it....

post-23797-0-85901400-1361306652.jpg

Edited by kc5555

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but this was 1 of the winter projects.

Last night I got the 929 shock installed, using a 39mm aluminum spacer. The shocks reservoir is facing backwards, away from the head & exhaust, under the plastic tray that is the battery box, but also holds the wiring harness loom.

When bolting up the shock, I did notice the reservoir pushing up against this plastic lip that shields the harness. I dont think its too much of an issue. Is there much movement of the shock & reservoir itself?

Another thing I noticed, the lower adjustment screw on the 929 shock sticks out a little long, and is coming awfully close to the 3 point triangular linkage where I fear contact. Has anyone had this issue?

Can post pics if it helps. Any input appreciated.

Edited by kc5555

• Member Contributer

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but this was 1 of the winter projects.

Last night I got the 929 shock installed, using a 39mm aluminum spacer. The shocks reservoir is facing backwards, away from the head & exhaust, under the plastic tray that is the battery box, but also holds the wiring harness loom.

When bolting up the shock, I did notice the reservoir pushing up against this plastic lip that shields the harness. I dont think its too much of an issue. Is there much movement of the shock & reservoir itself?

Another thing I noticed, the lower adjustment screw on the 929 shock sticks out a little long, and is coming awfully close to the 3 point triangular linkage where I fear contact. Has anyone had this issue?

Can post pics if it helps. Any input appreciated.

Mine was that way for a couple years, and I had no issues.

quick update....been out for a few km with the 929 shock & new tires so tough to say which has made the improvement, but over rough surfaces and potholes the bike feels alot more planted where before it would get a tad loose in the back end. Not sure what to attribute that to really, assuming the shock is planting the rear end better than before.

So far money/time well spent I think though.

great thread everybody. I am a new forum member with a 5th gen and I am going to do the 929 shock swap. If anybody has an extra 929 shock, let me know, thanks!

• Member Contributer

great thread everybody. I am a new forum member with a 5th gen and I am going to do the 929 shock swap. If anybody has an extra 929 shock, let me know, thanks!

I keep plenty of them in stock, not a problem!

• 9 months later...
  • Member Contributer

OH, OLD THREAD ARISE!!!

I guessed I may have missed it, but does a Grade 5 bolt work for this mod? That's all I seem to fond in M10

Putting my engineer hat on, Grade 5 in such a critical spot is probly not a good idea.

• Member Contributer

You can substitute a 3/8 as it's real close to M10. Grade 5 would probably be fine though as it's not a high shock load fastener, and most of the force is upward which doesn't put the bolt under lots of tension. That is unless you frequently un-weight the rear.......

• Member Contributer

I do not suggest using an extended upper mount to make up that much distance. You would be running a serious risk of failure. All of the 929 shocks that I build are converted so they fit without any changes to the upper mount - FYI

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Yup, dragging up an old thread, but I want to update the best motorcycle ever built, so why not.

My 01 is showing some signs of its age and want to do some modest updates, can you blame me, no.

*I am hoping that someone may have taken the time to build a nice spacer unit to make up the difference on the 929 shock and have an extra to sell.

If not there is enough info here to build my own.

The front end is easy, I plan on taking it to a local suspension shop http://www.rmrsuspensions.com/ and let Rod do his magic on his recommendations.

Message sent to Jamie Daugherty

Edited by maxredline

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

That sounds like a great place to start JamieDaugherty. Should I pm you? I am new to the forum and the rules. Thanks

You can PM anyone you want, as long as it's not spam, it's acceptable. That being said, Jamie usually responds fairly quickly but using his business email is the quickest way to reach him.

Cheers!