929/954 Shock Install (5th Gen)

Veefer800Canuck

• Member Contributer

All,

I wanted to post a follow up to my 929 shock install fun.

I thought I was a genius with my idea to rotate the reservoir counter clockwise 90 degrees, so it points forward. Nope, not a genius. The longer bolt and the shock don't exactly line up, they're at a slight angle to each other. If the upper mount is rotated, you can see the bracket getting bent and torqued funny as you tighten the bolt, and certainly th eshock was getting a force on it it wasn't designed for. I didn't like that, so I turned it back. The frame crossmember where the blt attaches, the bolt and stack of washers seem very strong, I can't imagine any issues from this torque. I'm light-ish, 175lbs, and don't ride 2-up. I hope I'm right.

I'm one of those 5th gen guys with interference, no question about it. I trimmed off the flap extending forward from the battery box. Not my favorite thing, but looking at the original shocks' upper mount, it's pretty clean up in there, so I don't expect issues. I did try 45mm, still had interference.

I did find a speciality fastener shop, courtesy of the BMW car dealer. I got a grade 8.8 with a 17mm locking nut, nylon insert. Much harder than what I had, it took some time on the grinder to get it to clear the shock.

No issues with rotating the shock apart from preload adjustments. I can grab it with something to get that done.

Impressions: This is only my second motorcycle, so I'm not qualified to say more tham "I like it", so there you have it. I measured 38mm difference in length between the original and the 929 shock, and I made my stack of washers 40mm. From there, it looks like I have 19mm increase in ride height at the back, if I measured right. I used the settings from SportRider magazine that vifferluv pointed out. With all that, it seems to like to turn better and seems more steady in faster corners. Slow stuff and regular commuting, these settings are too harsh, I'll probably leave them though.

So, that's my story. Now about them forks...

Thanks

Scott

• Member Contributer
got this lil baby in the post and on the way to me from good old us of a...gallery_5025_556_6893.jpg

cbr 929/954 ohlins Was going for $640.. thats £350 which is cheaper than i was quoted for another far lesser aftermarket shock this morning! Is said to have 2500 mile on it.. so am really pleased.... £30 shipping as well

looking to fab up the bracket to fit said shock on my 4th gen model.. gallery_5025_556_6575.gif

mullet mans fabed up block

am hoping to take this example right out of the thread......

am after standard vfr height as adjustment is avaliable on the shock.. with a 929 front end i may well need to get more length out of the front as its shorter than normal vfr, by adjusting the rear a touch on the shock...

Will i need to adjust the height from 36mm-38mm?

All input here very welcome..

just fitted the two bros system and wow its awsome.. wont be long before the fuzz will be on me case tho as its awesome loud!!!!!!

So here it goes....

On my fourth gen...ive completed said conversion with a few minor mods... Thanks to mullet man for the diagram, as once i added the 2mm onto the 36mm measurement i had a part fabricated to fit right in.gallery_5025_556_30675.jpgDSC00475.JPG the shock mount has been replaced.....

with a little help from some majic silver wheel spray....

gallery_5025_556_6818.jpg

DSC00480.JPG

So I then mocked up what i had in me spare frame and ducati subframe arrangement before stripping VFR and going for it...

gallery_5025_556_15292.jpg

DSC00479.JPG

side view below on me spare frame... cant wait to fit the ducati bodywork. Am lovin the billet ally look i hope to achive.. will see if i ever get to finish project properly..

gallery_5025_556_8496.jpg

DSC00477.JPG

so it looked good, so time to strip and fit shock..

gallery_5025_556_103384.jpg

bodywork stripped, battery out, battery metal shround out also .. metal shround is cut down to remove the large lip which inteferes with new shock..

Also threw out the rubber piece that was floating about....

DSC00486.JPG

You can see the trial fit of the fabricated item before shock fit.

gallery_5025_556_2547.jpg

DSC00487.JPG

Altho not seen here, but the coils finally had to be moved to the right hand side of the battery box.. plenty of space for them to fit comfortably.

gallery_5025_556_10871.jpg

DSC00488.JPG

The blue rope is what i used to lift bike off the ground...

So finaly the shock fitted and bodywork replaced

gallery_5025_556_57875.jpg

DSC00489.JPG

gallery_5025_556_101505.jpg

DSC00490.JPG

And finally you cant even see all the effort you've been to..

Altho actually a very easy mod after examples here have been followed...

But...

After fitting i found shock to be very soft. Probally as i had shock refreshed by k-teck here at the grandstand during TT week. and all settings have been backed right off..

I had to move up the damping and rebound to almost max! Was after about 10cm travel so turned up preload quite a bit also.

Shock is way soft and still have more scope to improve if i was to re-valve and re-spring to suit bike when build finished..

Maybe a standard honda 929 shock would not need so much work??

Over all im over-joyed with the ride improvement and have shown a few newer blades on the circuit here what for!

Shock feels like silk slippers on me rear end now.. and 140mph cornering is comfy!

Am going to have to fit me fireblade front end asap.. but im out of money and i want clocks and ancilleries to make good..............

Have locked up me AP caliper brake unit to swing arm.. looks amazing... woop woop... but..

i cant afford to pay the guy who did the welding job as i lost me job last week.. tut.. but yes it looks trick as fk.. pics to follow.... i hope funds allowing...

• 2 weeks later...

Last saturday I installed a 929 shock (yellow) on my 5th gen. Altough I used a 42mm spacer, the oil reservoir seems to be touching the battery compartment. It was really hard to get the old shock out and the 929 one in.

Anyone who can give me a basic setup for the 929 shock: preload - rebound - compression? My weight is 63kg (+- 139 lbs).

Edited by Wittmann

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
Last saturday I installed a 929 shock (yellow) on my 5th gen. Altough I used a 42mm spacer, the oil reservoir seems to be touching the battery compartment. It was really hard to get the old shock out and the 929 one in.

Anyone who can give me a basic setup for the 929 shock: preload - rebound - compression? My weight is 63kg (+- 139 lbs).

Honda manual sais...

For Honda cbr929rr- General information- Rear wheel/ suspension-

shock absorber -

Spring adjuster standard position - 4th groove

Tension adjuster initial setting- 2 turns from full hard

Compression adjuster initial setting- 1 turn from full hard

Place i would start at.

Im just sorting the 929 front forks on my VFR at the moment and ill also be using standard settings there.

Honda manual sais...

For Honda cbr929rr- General information- Rear wheel/ suspension-

shock absorber -

Spring adjuster standard position - 4th groove

Tension adjuster initial setting- 2 turns from full hard

Compression adjuster initial setting- 1 turn from full hard

Place i would start at.

Im just sorting the 929 front forks on my VFR at the moment and ill also be using standard settings there.

I've set the spring adjuster to the 3rd hardest position (I think that is 7 out of 9). Both other screws are on the standard position I guess (pitted mark next to the screw).

Seems to go just fine, even with a passenger I can take speed bumps much faster.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest VIFFERRIDER

Old thread, but do these 5th gen shock mods work on a 6th gen as well or is there is a different source of rear shocks for my 02 6th gen. Im looking for a cheap upgrade with more adjustability, i think the stock rear shocks are way too soft.

Old thread, but do these 5th gen shock mods work on a 6th gen as well or is there is a different source of rear shocks for my 02 6th gen. Im looking for a cheap upgrade with more adjustability, i think the stock rear shocks are way too soft.

Check with Jamie, he's doing a nice 954 install.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=53309

Guest buzzbeater

Can or has anyone tried using a CBR 1000 rear shock on a 6th gen? Looks like the reservior is angled up which maybe a problem.

Can or has anyone tried using a CBR 1000 rear shock on a 6th gen? Looks like the reservior is angled up which maybe a problem.

You're obviously not talking about late model CBR1000s (or CBR600s) as the shocks on these is incorporated into the swingarm. :warranty:

Guest VIFFERRIDER

Check with Jamie, he's doing a nice 954 install.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=53309

Thanks!! Bookmarked! :laugh:

Guest VIFFERRIDER

I wonder if one of these can be modded and fitted into my 6th gen: a 2009 GSXR 1000 rear shock, i found someone selling brand new ones for $150 each.

2009-suzuki-gsxr-1000-rear-shock-mp2u900030-2.jpg

2009-suzuki-gsxr-1000-rear-shock-mp2u900030.jpg

2009-suzuki-gsxr-1000-rear-shock-mp2u900030-3.jpg

2009-suzuki-gsxr-1000-rear-shock-mp2u900030-4.jpg

I wonder if one of these can be modded and fitted into my 6th gen: a 2009 GSXR 1000 rear shock, i found someone selling brand new ones for $150 each.

Would have to know stroke and overall length, also I'm sure you can find them on eBay or WERA for less than $50.

Like this shock, many newer ones have Hi & low speed comp. adjustment to boot! :laugh:

Guest VIFFERRIDER
The spring rate and rear suspension linkage ratio would tell you a lot about whether it's even in the ballpark or not.

I guess i need to do some homework then, i don't have any of that technical data.

The spring rate and rear suspension linkage ratio would tell you a lot about whether it's even in the ballpark or not.

Yeah, it seems that many gixxers are sprung in the 400lb range which is less than half of why our Under sprung VFR's run stock(850lbs) and like for a 190lb person like me need a 1100lb spring on the VFR, but a re-valve/respring could bring it to terms. Will no be a bolt in no matter what, where as shocks on CBR 929's are sprung exactly the same as our VFR's so it's a much closer drop in shock with the addition of a mount spacer, but again stock is under sprung for most of us. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I just built the spacer like baileyrock did drilling a hole in hex aluminum bar but I drilled the hole too big for the bolt. I used a 1/2" drill bit when something like a 27/64" (.42 inch) bit would have been perfect. Should I try to fill the gap with jb weld or not worry about it since the spacer will be compressed? I'm worried about the spacer walking around. Thanks for any help, I can post pics tonight if need be.

Edit: I decided to redo the spacer as I don't want to worry about a critical suspension component failing due to my lazyness. A 25/64" bit is the ticket for a snug fit

Edited by Ron Mexico

• 2 weeks later...
. Should I try to fill the gap with jb weld or not worry about it since the spacer will be compressed? I'm worried about the spacer walking around. Thanks for any help, I can post pics tonight if need be.

I would say not an issue, if its walking around then your nut isn't tight enough. Once its tight it shouldn't move at all.

Zach571

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

So I installed the 929 shock tonight and I have battery tray interference. Has anyone who installed with battery tray interference had any ill effects with either the suspension acting weird or anything else?

So I installed the 929 shock tonight and I have battery tray interference. Has anyone who installed with battery tray interference had any ill effects with either the suspension acting weird or anything else?

I finally put mine in, with the reservoir to the rear it contacts some plastics and I didn't like that plan. I looked back at the beginning of this thread and saw that the original poster put the reservoir forward, so thats how I put mine in. I also made a spanner wrench for the 929 shock, if anyone needs one let me know.

Any suggestions as to where to start with the adjustments on this thing??

l_b7638b2a3cca40f3ab4b04f009800573.jpg

l_d2042319ad4f4794a00b8a317e7e01ae.jpg

I made two mounts, one the 42 mm and the other 40 mm. I installed the 42 mm first. The rear tire is barely off the ground on the center stand and the bike definitely leans over more on the side stand. My bike is still in pcs from a wipe out Fathers day so I haven't ridden it since.

l_dee6f963b43340209fdbb93a502ba35f.jpg

Zach571

I need a spanner as my tools were dropping out the back of my bike like some kind of bombing run this weekend. Almost took out 2 of the riders behind me. Let me know how much $$ for a good wrench. Also with the shock the other way are you able to get to the top adjustment?

I need a spanner as my tools were dropping out the back of my bike like some kind of bombing run this weekend. Almost took out 2 of the riders behind me. Let me know how much $$ for a good wrench. Also with the shock the other way are you able to get to the top adjustment?

Just to specify, the spanner wrench is for the 929 shock, not sure it will fit anything else, doesn't grab the stock VFR shock, thats for sure. I cut them out of stainless steel, 7ga. $10 a pc.

As for the adjustment, I do believe I will be able to get to it, looks like I just need to remove the one panel on the right side and looks like I'll be able to get it just above the exhaust pipe. I have not yet tried to adjust it, so I do not know for sure.

Zach571

Yep for my 929 shock. PM me with your payment needs, paypal etc.. Thanks Brian

PM sent, and I forgot to mention in there that the spanner wrench works great with my 929 in my 5th gen VFR, I have no way to say for certain that it will work on your bike (clearances and what not, just a disclaimer). If it doesn't work I could make a longer/shorter/kinked one...

Zach571