929/954 Shock Install (5th Gen)

Veefer800Canuck

• Member Contributer

Not a bad mornings work. 954 shock installed. I deviated from other posts a bit but all in all the same methods. Time to sort out the settings...

post-25867-0-40550400-1436127520.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Where can I get a stiffer spring for a 929 shock? I looked at racetech and they don't seem to have anything. I'm thinking around an 1100-1200 lb spring.

Check with Jamie Daugherty

http://www.daughertymotorsports.com

• Member Contributer

Where can I get a stiffer spring for a 929 shock? I looked at racetech and they don't seem to have anything. I'm thinking around an 1100-1200 lb spring.

Does he get them custom made?

• Member Contributer

Does he get them custom made?

To be honest, I do not know, that would be a question for him. All I know is that he does a lot of work on these shocks and builds them to suit.

• Member Contributer

I have one of Jamie's CBR929 shocks. I think he uses an off the shelf Hyperco spring of a suitable diameter and rate, plus a custom aluminium spacer to get the length right.

IMG_0862.jpg

• 10 months later...

These shock extenders looks good, and return the pivot point back to the correct place, although im not sure the arc the shock moves on is that important, so I'm struggling to see the benefit of it, why is it done?

I would have thought (as a design engineer) it would have been better to just extended the top bracket via a properly manufactuerered componet which wouldnt have to be precision made or fit but would eliminate the any issues surrounding alignment on this type of shock side extender.

Clearly 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other but I think bringing the bracket down to the shock is a lower risk, less tolerance critical option - trading off a (very?) slight differecne in the way the shock behaves through the linkage.

Just my thoughts, It does look very cool, and im drawn to cool looking things :tongue:

• Member Contributer

I believe Jamie machines a shoulder into the 929 shock body, which mates with the new extended part, making an entirely solid, but extended, shock body.  It's a robust design, but requires that he machine the actual shock.

I'm working on a 30mm extension for my RC36/RC30 swing arm project, and I've gone with the extended top bracket idea, mainly because this doesn't require any machining of the bike frame or my Ohlins, and I need to include a 5mm offset to avoid spring/swing arm interference. 

Ciao,

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Yes, with a spring compressor!  I have one, so I don't know if there are any cheap bodges that might work (in between killing you and random passers by), but a bike shop nearby might be willing to pull the spring off for you.  It's a 5-10min job.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
On 3/29/2018 at 12:54 AM, squirrelman said:

Long hose clamps (jubilee clips to you GB lads) can be used to compress springs.  use about 4, evenly spaced.

True, but he said he wants to repaint the spring, so presumably he would prefer to not have the new paint gouged by hose clamps?  :blush:

Ciao,