DIY Fuel Pressure Regulator Mod

magellan

• Member Contributer

gallery_5128_669_122438.jpg

Yesterday, Zyvek asked why it wouldn't be a good idea to modify a stock VFR fuel pressure regulator yourself: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...6229&hl=diy

So today I had the bike apart for its 16,000 mile service. I flushed the cooling system, brakes and clutch, changed the oil and filter (MB1 15W-40 gold cap), got rid of the PAIR system

(as per: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...hl=pair+system),

checked valve clearances (all perfect at 16,068 miles), checked synch on the starter valves (similar in principle to this VTEC thread:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7935),

and cleaned and oiled the K&N.

So I figured, "What the hell, I'm in this far, why not try to modify my own fuel pressure regulator (FPR)? I can always get a new one for $39 if I screw up."

So I removed the velocity stacks and airbox pan (lots of hoses and coil wires - take pictures or have a shop manual handy unless you have a photographic memory), clamped the fuel return hose (on bottom of FPR - big fuel spill if you don't clamp it!) and used it to drain the tank into a gas can; removed tank and side fairings (I had other work to do, so it all had to go), pulled off the vacuum hose to the FPR, and cracked it loose from the fuel rail.

gallery_5128_669_303981.jpg

Intake Plumbing and FPR

Here's where I ran into a headache, and I can't advise you to do what I did (I've since had a better idea. See below). The fuel return nipple on the FPR spins around and hits the choke adjuster-screw stop plate, so instead of removing the fuel rail I just grabbed a socket and very gently bent the nipple until the FPR came free. :goofy:

gallery_5128_669_38965.jpg

Bending the Fuel Return Nipple

Once I had it out, I took it to the vise and gave it a gentle tap. I was surprised how little force was required. One tap pushed the FPR spring seat inward about 2mm, so I called it good at that.

gallery_5128_669_122438.jpg

Highly Scientific Modification

Installing the FPR required that I re-straighten the fuel return nipple, and you better believe I was scared I'd crack or break it, but this cheesy metal bends nicely so mine was okay.

The better idea? Leaving the tank attached, remove the airbox and plug open vacuum lines. Without removing the FPR, grab a paint stir stick, hold a ball bearing (approx 3/8"-1/2". From a hobby shop??) on an extension magnet and position it between the frame and the spring seat recess on the FPR. Using the stir stick to protect the frame, insert a pry bar between the ball bearing and stir stick and gently pry the seat inward about 2 mm.

Better idea yet? Start the engine with a fuel pressure gauge attached, get a baseline reading, then pry the spring seat in and watch the fuel pressure until you have it just right. Wish I'd thought of it before I did what I did.

I went ahead and buttoned everything up and put a "T" in my fuel feed line permanently for easy fuel pressure readings later. I now have 40.5 psi fuel pressure (up from 36 psi stock. Shoot for about a 3.6-5 psi increase with this mod, or approx 10% over stock pressure), and the bike starts and runs beautifully.

Tomorrow I'll put the fairings back on, burp the cooling system again, check fluids and go for a ride. I have the aforementioned K&N air filter and a Satantune, so I've likely been running lean with only my ecm running the fuel delivery show. With this mod I expect to see a slight (hopefully noticeable!) increase in power (especially just off idle) without significant loss of fuel economy. I'll post results.

Need sleeeeeeeep now :huh:

Edited by HispanicSlammer

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer

Wow, sounds pretty good, maybe the ultimate free mod! :thumbsup: Good suggestion about putting a fuel pressure gage on for before/after readings. How did you determine that you wanted another 10% fuel pressure?

Removal of the FPR itself is easier on the '02+ bikes. The nut holding it onto the rail spins independently of the rest of the FPR. The hardest part for me was getting the fuel return hose off (stiff spring-clamp). If your tank is in place (with fuel in it), do either crimp the return hose, or have something handy to plug it as soon as you disconnect it from the FPR.

I'm still wondering if adding a tee and needle valve to bleed pressure off the vacuum line to the FPR would work to make it adjustable (less vacuum = higher FP). That, and a FP gage, would allow you to dial it in on the fly, even make quick adjustments for track performance vs. slab economy. My only concern is that you're adding a small vacuum leak, maybe there's a better device to use.

• Member Contributer
My only concern is that you're adding a small vacuum leak, maybe there's a better device to use.

Your idea is actually great, David,. I'm sure a small valve can be found that would regulate vaccum in the FPR circuit without opening the line at all to outside air - no vacuum leak. With the fuel pressure gauge in place you'd see results on the fly.

As for the 10% I was shooting for, I simply aimed for the result the Porsche FPR-modification site suggested. More increase in pressure might be effective with a bigger spring (which might be what Turbo City does - who knows?), but I'll try this first. Baby steps... :thumbsup:

If this works, do you think Tom from Turbo City will start sending hate mail??

Lon

PS: We keep haunting the same threads. I think we're gonna have to meet up for a ride and BS about this stuff over a beer. :huh:

• Member Contributer
Yesterday, Zyvek asked why it wouldn't be a good idea to modify a stock VFR fuel pressure regulator yourself: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...ic=16229&hl=diy

gallery_5128_669_122438.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Highly Scientific Modification

Need sleeeeeeeep now :huh:

Totally Awesome. I think I might be feeling like the mad scientist that everyone doubted! On the other hand if anything goes wrong, I will gladly purchase you a new FPR!

• Member Contributer

I finally took it for a shakedown run today. I wish I'd made a dyno run before the mods - the difference is significant enough that I'd like to see hard numbers.

I only got an additional 4.5 psi out of the mod and am not inclined to think more would be better. Does anyone know what the 6th gen Turbo City FPRs are bumped up to?

Just off idle, if I dump the clutch in first there is significantly more torque - there's simply more fuel available. At 10mph in 2nd, the bike just swallows big gulps of air through the intake and pulls away; previously it would stall. Throughout the rev range the bike pulls harder with no flat spots or surging. Freeway on-ramp acceleration was smile-inducing (seat of the pants says I've dropped a few tenths to 90mph).

That being said, top-gear roll-on is where this modification makes the most obvious (to me) improvement. It feels about like 5th did at the same speed before. For me, this alone makes the mod worth doing.

For 5th gens with aftermarket air filters and exhaust, this may just be the thing to do next. Especially with a PCII for fine tuning, there should always be enough fuel, allowing for shorter pulse-width at the injectors. Definitely a plus, especially at higher revs.

No complaints here, except that now I want a PCII to play with. :beer:

• Member Contributer
I'm thinking if my spare RC51 brake rotor sells on EBAY, I'm going to buy the TurboCity FPR! I could probably use a little more fuel with my modded airbox and pipe, though the bike doesn't seem to run poorly at all ATM.

It's worth a try. I thought mine ran flawlessly before. It just runs, uh... more flawlessly now. :D

Guest seadooloo

I have been testing turbo city toms regulators for about 6 weeks now. Different pressures on different ones. What you guys are talking about doing is probably very close to what he does but I don't believe he just whacks them to preload the spring, thus increasing the fuel pressure. I have to believe he is being a bit more careful about what he is doing carefully measuring and calibrating each one to his proper specifications.

His modifications do what he says they do and the original modified regulator I have from him is probably the best for street use, with way better slow speed control and also a slight boost in overall performance. But, the on that I have from him to test which is a higher pressure even than his original mod is an awesom improvement in accelleration and I guess you would say torque, with the only drawback being sacrificing low speed driveability somewhat. (it's harder to control in low speed maneuvers with the second, higher pressure regulator)

I wonder if we can get turbo city Tom to make a regulator that adjusts between the 2 ranges for (like you guys have considered) an "on the fly" adjustable regulator. I would definitely be in on purchasing one of those.

By the way I don't feel that turbocity Tom is the kind of guy to start sending 'hate mail' He probably is glad that you guys have started to be a little more scientific with your approach to this mod by actually checking the pressures you are creating with your hammer and punches so you can actually repeat what you have done with some success, even though I feel we should honor his research and success in curing the problems with our bikes by supporting his company and his ability to further improve on our fuel injection systems. He's not trying to rip anyone off, he is merely hoping to not be doing something good for someone without being compensated. I feel he is asking a fair price for his research.

• Member Contributer
Do you have to use a ball-bearing to push the seat in? (I ask because I've no idea what it looks like). Like, would a socket of the appropriate diameter do?

There's not enough clearance between the frame and the butt end (spring seat) of the FPR for a socket; thus the ball bearing idea...

As for your thoughts and concerns, seadooloo, let me just say that I often write things satirically to get a laugh. Sorry if that doesn't translate well in forum posts. I too think Turbo City Tom is doing a hell of a job and deserves every dime he charges for his FPRs. Guys like him prove that ingenuity is not confined to manufacturer engineering staffs, and I was definitely kidding about the hate mail. Hilarious, wasn't it? :beer:

As far as doing a proper job of calibration... heeeyyyyy, just what are you saying about my hammer?? It's a finely tuned instrument, my friend wink.gif Besides, I really just wanted to see what could be done on a 5th gen. If I'd screwed it up there would already be a new FPR on its way in the mail - probably from Turbo City! As it stands, I'm glad I did it even though I feel the method can be improved on.

There's not enough clearance between the frame and the butt end (spring seat) of the FPR for a socket; thus the ball bearing idea...

Yeah, I figured that was the case.

In the picture of you wielding the finely tuned hammer, are you whacking - sorry - carefully and expertly adjusting the seat with a socket as a drift? If one uses a ball-bearing instead, is this likely to be problematic? I've no idea what the spring seat looks like - would adjusting it with a finely tuned prybar and a non-metric ballbearing cause any buckling of the seat? Does it matter?

Which prybar should I use? I have four, and I'm not sure which (if any of them) is metric...

• Member Contributer
Which prybar should I use? I have four, and I'm not sure which (if any of them) is metric...

Oh, well you'll definitely have to go get a whole new set then... :beer:

As far as the spring seat goes, you'll find that it has a small cup in the center (imagine this from the inside of the FPR - it's like a Lego bump that the spring sits around and atop so it doesn't move around), into which you can center the ball bearing. With the pry bar pushing on the bearing opposite the cup, you'll apply even pressure to the edge of the cup as you push it inward. It's easier than it sounds once you see what the FPR looks like; I imagine finding a big ball bearing will be the hardest part of the job!

PS: Yeah, I was just using the socket as a drift. The bearing will center even better.

Edited by magellan

Oh, well you'll definitely have to go get a whole new set then... :goofy:

Goodie! I love buying tools and like that there. :thumbsup:

As far as the spring seat goes, you'll find that it has a small cup in the center (imagine this from the inside of the FPR - it's like a Lego bump that the spring sits around and atop so it doesn't move around), into which you can center the ball bearing. With the pry bar pushing on the bearing opposite the cup, you'll apply even pressure to the edge of the cup as you push it inward. It's easier than it sounds once you see what the FPR looks like; I imagine finding a big ball bearing will be the hardest part of the job!

PS: Yeah, I was just using the socket as a drift. The bearing will center even better.

Thanx for that - I had an idea that it was as you described, but it may have been flat, for all I knew, in which case the ball-bearing could've distorted the seat.

Last question: Does this constitute "fiddling"? The reason I ask is that the co-pilot/co-owner/accountant has expressly forbidden fiddling on our bike.

I'm already in trouble for fitting an EvoStar Shift Kit, and while she was away in Murka I fitted (on loan only) a PCII a friend with a '98 lent to me. I've got a few hours to come up with a convincing explanation for that. :beer:

Edited by enzed_viffer

Last question: Does this constitute "fiddling"?

No. Only tinkering that costs money can be considered illegal "fiddling". Of course, that doesn't include the cost of those metric pry bars you'll prolly need.

Good stuff Magellan, would like to see longer term effects to driveability and mpg.

:beer:

Yeah, I love this sort of thing. I'm thinking it might help the flatness/notchiness at low-to-mid revs on 5th Gens. Removing the O2s helps, as does the PCII, but a little fuel pressure gives some tune-ability that otherwise might not be there. Clever mod, magellan!!

Good stuff Magellan, would like to see longer term effects to driveability and mpg.

:beer:

mpg? MPG?!?

Good grief, Man! If I'd wanted an economical bike, I'd've (can I do that?) bought a scooter.

Besides, after the VTR1000 GGM (Gas Guzzling Monster), anything's economical. It did worse fuel mileage than any of our cars.

No, we want MORE POWER! and BETTER ACCELERATION! and especially MORE THRILLS!

Edited by enzed_viffer

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys... I'd love to say I've been racking up miles so I can give more of a long-term report, but I'm in Hawaii for 9 days. Pity me... 9 days of surfing, luaus, and hula girls and all I can think about is where to rent a bike to tour the island! :P

I have to say though, the ride I took last Sunday was confidence-inspiring. I can't imagine any long-term concerns that would not also have to be shared by Turbo City (I'm guessing the higher-pressure FPR they're testing runs substantially above the 40.5psi I'm getting).

Enzed, the shift kit was a "maintenance necessity, the PCII is a "factory recall recommendation" to correct "dangerous" fuel-delivery issues, and modding the FPR is... mmmm, "an accident that happened when my crappy metric prybar slipped". It's all about terminology... :beer:

Trace, I don't mean to make too much of the benefits here (it's not like it adds heaps of HP), but I do think it does a really good job (to quote you), 'helping the flatness/notchiness at low-to-mid revs on 5th Gens... A little fuel pressure gives some tune-ability that otherwise might not be there.'

And I certainly don't see why it won't work equally well on 6th gens but I'm very interested in knowing what the TCFPRs are putting out in streetable trim before I suggest that DIYers shoot for a specific pressure. Fallzboater (or anyone else with a Turbo City FPR on a 6th gen), have you checked fuel pressure yet? Please let us know what you have.

Thanks all.

mpg? MPG?!?

Good grief, Man! If I'd wanted an economical bike, I'd've (can I do that?) bought a scooter.

Besides, after the VTR1000 GGM (Gas Guzzling Monster), anything's economical. It did worse fuel mileage than any of our cars.

No, we want MORE POWER! and BETTER ACCELERATION! and especially MORE THRILLS!

I don't know why I added mpg, I've never carred about it ever ! It's always been FPG (Fun Per Gal) and I don't really care how much it cost ! :beer:

• Member Contributer
[snip]

And I certainly don't see why it won't work equally well on 6th gens but I'm very interested in knowing what the TCFPRs are putting out in streetable trim before I suggest that DIYers shoot for a specific pressure. Fallzboater (or anyone else with a Turbo City FPR on a 6th gen), have you checked fuel pressure yet? Please let us know what you have.

I don't have access to a fuel pressure gage, but I'd be interested to know what the stock and TCFPR pressures are. I'll have to ask around and see if I can find a loaner.

I'm also wondering about the differences in preloading the spring (like the DIY mod, TC mod is unknown) vs. replacing with a stiffer spring. The vacuum line on the spring side of the diaphram means that at high vacuum (throttles closed) fuel pressure is reduced, and at low vacuum (WOT), the spring gives maximum fuel pressure. There could be a significantly different relationship between throttle position and fuel pressure depending on whether a light spring is used with more preload, or a heavy spring with less preload. Any theories?

Anyway, it's obvious that increased fuel pressure fools Honda's lean tuning and allows better driveability. In order to really determine the optimum fuel pressure for your bike, you'd have to do the whole dyno/wide-band O2 sensor thing, and at that point you should probably be looking at a PCIII. Another question is that if you are going to do a PCIII (tweaking pulse widths), is increased fuel pressure helpful? The maps probably wouldn't have to be tweaked as much, but if the stock FP is high enough, does it matter?

Honestly, having the TCFPR in now, the bike runs so well that I'm not inclined to do a lot more experimentation, except for curiosity's sake. Maybe if/when I end up doing some pipe and intake mods. Then again, the bike is pretty stealthy right now so I'd be wise to leave it as is. :D

Cool stuff! It seems to me that buying a PC III and richening up across the board by 10% or so would produce much the same net effect. It would of course cost more (free is hard to beat) but be much faster and easier and adjustable.

Even with pulse width considerations, I can't see needing a modded fuel pump if you are willing to spring for a PC III.

• Member Contributer
Cool stuff! It seems to me that buying a PC III and richening up across the board by 10% or so would produce much the same net effect.  It would of course cost more (free is hard to beat) but be much faster and easier and adjustable.

Even with pulse width considerations, I can't see needing a modded fuel pump if you are willing to spring for a PC III.

Can we get some feedback here from guys with a PCIII installed who've done work with a dyno? Would you prefer to mess with injector pulse-width less because more pressure is available across the board? Would increased fuel pressure make an idealized PCIII map less of a departure from stock mapping? Knowing this would indicate whether a PCIII is a wise use of money after installation of a modified FPR.

Obviously the PCIII would be great to have no matter what, but some of us just want bikes that run great with the least amount of fiddling possible (not me though! :D )

• Member Contributer

I bought a modified fuel pressure regulator from Turbo City a few weeks ago, and Tom mentioned mine was set at 48 psi given my mods (Staintunes and K&N). My "seat of the pants" impression is that the fuel regulator mod cured about 98% of my problems...mostly low speed and light throttle ridability issues...but it's still not perfectly smooth throughout the entire throttle and rpm range/spectrum. I can tell you this though, this simple R&R of the regulator made more of a difference than anything else I have tried, as well as all the different PCIII maps I tried and tweaked--so I highly suggest calling Tom and talking to him about a custom regulator for your bike. Also, for right now, after doing the starter valve sync (this also helped quite a bit), I'm running the modified regulator, 02 Eliminators, PCIII, and I am still trying out a few different maps to smooth out the remaining spots. I don't have access to a dyno or other such equipment, but my general impression is that I might be getting real close to achieving "fuel management nirvana"...

• Member Contributer

NVR2L8, thanks! This is exactly what we need and answers quite a few questions. For example, Turbo City must be making some internal modification to achieve fuel pressures as high as 48psi; we can rule out a simple spring preload adjustment, which is a very modest alteration in comparison. The fact that you've worked so hard with the PCIII yet had your greatest success by upping fuel pressure is also enlightening, and I wonder whether it might not be a good idea at this point to see what happens with the O2 sensors reconnected. I'd also like to know what difference it would make to synch the SV's with some offset between cylinders (ala the following...).

To quote tok tokkie on the VTEC starter valve thread, "The Brits - on their website - have made a truely HUGE issue about how the starter valves should NOT be syched all the same. They believe there was a miss-print in the vtec service manual which omitted the 20mm difference there should be between the 4 starters. The 5th gen has the 20mm difference & those specs were left out in the vtec service manual - the Brits show the two pages in the respective service manuals & it does look as if the text has been left out of the vtec manual compared to the 5th gen. They believe that svynchronising them all together gives the snatch throttle at small openings & that bringing in the starters in sequence makes the throttle much smoother. Basically you start with a V-twin then 10mm later have a V-three & then another 10mm later a v-four."

• Member Contributer

I've been emailing Turbo City, not sure who is writing back since there is no signature but I was told by them that their FPR is 44 low pressure and 48 high pressure. They are only going to be making the 44 low pressure as it seems to cure most issues. So they say. Personally I have not been real impressed with their respones to my questions.