FI Light - How To Read Error Codes

HispanicSlammer

• Forum CEO

Procedure for Fuel Injected VFR models

VTEC follows below on a reply post

To diagnose a fuel injection problem on a 5th generation vfr with the ECM self diagnosis feature,

Begin by removing the seat, locate the ?service check connector? and you will have to find a ?jumper wire? not provided.

codes.jpg

1. With the ignition key to off and the engine stop switch on RUN

2. Short the ?Service Check Connector?

3. Turn the ignition key to on, do not start the bike though

4. If the ?FI? lights up and stays on with the ignition key on then there is no memory data

5. If the ?FI? BLINKS then there is data!

Long blink = 10 short blinks

codes1.jpg

codes2.jpg

VIDEO

here is a short video on the procedure

code01.jpg

look for the blue connector on the left hand side of the rear subframe

code02.jpg

zoomed out I am indicating it with my finger

code03.jpg

my FI light blinked 12 times, number 1 injector, I found the connector was loose, I pulled it apart cleaned it and reconnected, fixed!

VTEC PROCEDURE

essentially the procedure is the same however the connector you need to short is up front on the right side near the fuse box.

codev1.jpg

codev2.jpg

codev3.jpg

codev4.jpg

codev5.jpg

• 8 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Thanks guys, this is great!

P.S. Either you need to set your bike clock, Kaldek, or you make VFR videos WAY too early in the morning! :)

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys, this is great!

P.S. Either you need to set your bike clock, Kaldek, or you make VFR videos WAY too early in the morning! :)

Heh true - clock needs to be set. I was more worried you'd say "185KM and less than half a tank???!"

• 11 months later...

Hey guys,

Not experienced with working on my bike but want to try before going to the dealer.

My light gave two long and three short blinks, I think 'code 23'

Can I just reset the memory or should I search for the problem immediately?

This started after riding for 6 hours in the rain... :tour:

The bike has 42000km.

Update:

Sometimes when I start the bike, the light doesn't come on, mostly it does.

Also, when I'm engine braking, I hear some ticking noise.

I'm pretty sure the valve for the coolant is stuck open too, temperature doesn't rise fast.

Thoughts anyone?

• Member Contributer

My 98 still ran well, but the FI light intermittently goes on (9 blinks, IAT). It used to stay off for days at a time but started to go on more often. I replaced the sensor without effect. I flushed out the sensor contacts with solvent and a toothpick and it was a tiny bit better. I next tried some electrical contact cleaner and lubricant from home depot. I completely flushed the sensor plug with the spray and then let the lube dry for a few hours and the problem seemed to diminish about 75%. Figuring it might be a problem on the other end of the sensor wire, I pulled the 2 plugs from the computer and used the contact cleaner on all of those pins and blew it out with compressed air. So far after 2 days and 200 miles of testing I have no error lights.

Edited by ecn

• 2 years later...

Reviving an old thread.....

98 5th Gen VFR800.

Bike is charging correctly (have Voltmeter installed) and bike starts and rides fine.

On a ride about a month ago, the FI light came on about 20 minutes into the ride and stayed on. We stopped for coffee after about 45 minutes and when I started the bike no FI light came on the entire way home, so I thought nothing of it.

Then yesterday, went for a ride. Went for about an hour and stopped for coffee, no issues. After we left from coffee, about 5 minutes into it the light came on and remained on for the hour ride home. Got home, turned bike off and started again, no light came on.

Will do the Read Error codes this week, but any ideas? Like I said, bike starts and rides fine.

• 4 months later...

Hi.

Could you help mi to interpretate this?

Is it one blink or more? I'm really confused.

The engine runs unevenly at constant revolutions 3000-4000 RPM . Gently accelerates or slows down. Where to find the cause?

Is it one blink and means MAP sensor problem?

Robert

• Member Contributer

A MAP sensor problem could be just a bad/loose connector or damaged wire. The MAP sensor on the 5th gen is on the back of the airbox, before launching into parts replacement I'd suggest you just try unplugging and reconnecting the wire. The service manual shows a procedure for diagnosing whether the sensor is faulty.

When the FI system detects a fault in a sensor like this, it defaults into a "limp home" mode that ignores the sensor. That will mean that the FI system won't be running at its optimum setting, so might run rich and make less power than usual. The MAP sensor is detecting the air pressure/vacuum in the intake system, so I would think when this malfunctions there would be significant effects.

• Like 1

Thanks. I have read service manual there and back and I know almost everything about MAP sensor ;) I'll replace it for test from my friend's bike. I've reconetted it with no effect. Tell me please if repleacing r/r may affect rough running an engine? I've bought r/r with 7 wires whereas my bike has 8 bundle and this 8th wire isn't now connected. Charging battery is OK. 14,2V. I hope you can understand me. My English isn't impressive :)

• Member Contributer

Have you checked continuity in the wires to the ECU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry yes I have checked. It is OK. It has 4,8V in plugin checking with service manual. Tell me please if ECU find problem with e.g. MAP sensor it ignores it at all and waiting for reset procedure or testing it at every engine start and only records error in Memory?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Member Contributer
20 minutes ago, Searmonkey2k18 said:

I have an 02 cbr600f4i. It blinks "F1" 6 times. And the blinks are long blinks. Any ideas?

I've got the manual for that and there is no code for 6 blinks (nothing for 3, 4 5 or 6). A long blink (1.3 seconds) is equal to a value of 10, and if there is more than one fault then it blinks for the lowest number fault first, then second etc. My guess is you have more than one fault. You could clear the fault register and run the bike and see what new fault occurs. If you started the bike with any sensor disconnected during maintenance then it will record that as a fault. I can give you a link to the manual if you don't have it. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...