Push-to-talk switch install

ULEWZ

My old switch broke, so I replaced it and took some pictures.

To install a push-to-talk switch, Buy the smallest momentary microswitch you can find and perform the following:

1. Remove two screws from choke/horn/turn signal electrical housing.

2. Push out small panel piece by compressing retaining edges.

3. Drill out a hole between the retaining edges just big enough to put your switch in.

4. Run the cable to be hooked to the switch through the same opening as the existing cable. Route it under the gold bracket in the picture and tighten it down.

5. Install the switch in the hole and tighten the mount nut.

6. Cut heat shrink tubing and install on cable wire ends.

7. Solder cable wire end to each terminal and position and melt heat shrink. Verify the switch contacts before installing with a multi-meter. Make sure there is no continuity between pins with the switch relaxed, and that there is continunity with the switch closed.

8. Put the housing back together making sure the small plastic tip from the housing is installed in the hole in the clipon.

9. Install the 2 screws to secure the housing.

10. Now you are done.

Note:

I used the cable from the motocom switch that I had previously bought and cut off the switch portion. This enabled me to use a cable with a din connector (looks like a ps2 mouse connector) already wired up.

Good luck. :D

Click image to make it larger. :idea:

• Forum CEO
Does the switch have a cover on the exposed part? ?If not I you can superglue somthing on there, like I did to Larrys Heat Grips.  I cut a rubber section off of a fan switch and glued it to the nut that tightend the switch to the housing.

• 1 year later...
Guest dougrender
could you re-post the pic again? I just purchased communicators and am considering such a mount, but the link to the photo is dead.

Guest jpm163

Yes, please do post the pics.  I'm trying to integrate some "Talkabout" type radios with my disk player.  Any thoughts on how to go about "squelching" the tunes when the radio is in use?  The push to talk mounted on the bar has got to be great!

Jon

I will try to remember to post new pictures when I get home. Hey Miguel, are all the old pictures gone? ?:beer:

I reposted the picture. I hope it helps.  :cool:

Guest dougrender

Where'd you get your switch? The only ones I can find are at Radio Shak and they are not quite small enough to fit between the housing and the clipons. (they are too long). Plus, they are crappy quality.

Thanks

I can't help you much. I bought it at a little electronics shop called IC Electronics here in So. Cal. I would search your local area for electronic shops, and yes, Radio Shack stuff is crap!  :beer:

Guest dougrender

I found a better selection of switches, and bought one that fits and has a nice "throw" and "feel". It was 85 cents.

I was not able to run the wire out with the turn signal, horn, brights wiring--no room to spare (I have a '96). I had to drill a small hole in the control housing to run the wire.

Now to do my wife's CB1...

Thanks for the pics etc. ULEWZ! I appreciate the extra effort!

I found a better selection of switches, and bought one that fits and has a nice "throw" and "feel". It was 85 cents.

I was not able to run the wire out with the turn signal, horn, brights wiring--no room to spare (I have a '96). I had to drill a small hole in the control housing to run the wire.

Now to do my wife's CB1...

Thanks for the pics etc. ULEWZ! I appreciate the extra effort!

No problem. I did mine on a 94, so same model as yours. You must loosen the bracket and route the wires under it, then it fits. Take a close look at the picture, it does work. Maybe it's a little late for you now, oh well.  :cool:

• 4 years later...
... Take a close look at the picture, it does work. Maybe it's a little late for you now, oh well.  :beer:
Picture - what picture? :fing02:

I'd love to see what you have done.

Pleeeeze.

... Take a close look at the picture, it does work. Maybe it's a little late for you now, oh well.  :beer:
Picture - what picture? :fing02:

I'd love to see what you have done.

Pleeeeze.

Dusty thread from 2003.

Lewis was a moderator, but resigned from that position as he'd sold his VFR, gotten an FZ-1 and then moved on to mostly dirtbiking with his kids. He indicated that he probably would not be checking in here very often, if at all.

Member ULEWZ: Last Seen: October 31st 2008 - 06:13 AM

If you REALLY need to see the pic, perhaps hit his profile page and email him. Maybe he's got the pics stashed somewhere on his PC still????