Faq: Low-budget Fixes

fallzboater

• Member Contributer
3. remove the charcoal canister. This saves weight and the thing only gets in your way during oil filter changes.

And it is to be found where, exactly? :goofy:

Guest redrocket800
3. remove the charcoal canister. This saves weight and the thing only gets in your way during oil filter changes.

And it is to be found where, exactly? :goofy:

To the right of your oil filter. It looks like a big black painted apple juice can.

Anyone else having a problem accessing the pages for the different mods?

Tried numerous times and still nothing. Can't locate it with the search either. <_<

same here. anybody can help ?

• 4 weeks later...

And it is to be found where, exactly? :blink:

To the right of your oil filter. It looks like a big black painted apple juice can.

What is the purpose of this black apple juice can? Will it hurt anything to remove it?

Guest bsd43
What is the purpose of this black apple juice can? Will it hurt anything to remove it?

It's to capture gasoline fumes when the engine is stopped so that it doesn't vent to the environment, then reuse it the next time the engine runs.

Eenh, I'd say keep it.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest SixD7

Anyone remove the metal heat shield behind the right drivers peg? If so any adverse affects? Might look better without it and it can't provide that much heat protection.

What about removing the lower chain guide/guard. Also doesn't look like it does much and will look cleaner without it.

• Member Contributer
Anyone remove the metal heat shield behind the right drivers peg? If so any adverse affects? Might look better without it and it can't provide that much heat protection.

What about removing the lower chain guide/guard. Also doesn't look like it does much and will look cleaner without it.

Been done. Gives a hot foot.

Chainguard done too. Not sure where the threads are.

• Member Contributer

are you talking about the guard on the up pipe? Or attached to the peg? I bought my bike with Micron exhaust already on it and it didn't have the heat sheild on the up pipe. 17k miles later still no problems with that. And I do like the looks of the pipe that way.

If you're talking about the little wing shaped guard on your footpeg? ... well, ya need that buddy. For the twisties! :fing02:

• Like 1

are you talking about the guard on the up pipe? Or attached to the peg? I bought my bike with Micron exhaust already on it and it didn't have the heat sheild on the up pipe. 17k miles later still no problems with that. And I do like the looks of the pipe that way.

If you're talking about the little wing shaped guard on your footpeg? ... well, ya need that buddy. For the twisties! :fing02:

No he is talking about the black piece of tin behind the peg. With it off you can see the pipes and it looks good. I bet it blocks more heat than you think.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
REAR SUSPENSION:

Mod:  Increase rear ride height by shimming under top shock mount

Benefits:  Improved handling due to steeper head angle, reduced trail, increased cornering clearance

How to:  Add approximately 4mm of shims under top shock mount to raise ride height ~12mm.

Time: 

Cost:  $0

Permanance:  Completely reversible.

Could anyone help me find anymore information regarding this mod of shimming the top shock mount? My searches are coming up empty...

I think you just needs some M10 washers....I found this

http://www.nabble.com/rear-shock-question-td2715158.html

and am considering trying this myself.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The small section talking about that can by the oil filter, does it sit on the from lower part of the motor under the front part of the header. I think the manual says something about being part of the california model or something. Is that needed?

The small section talking about that can by the oil filter, does it sit on the from lower part of the motor under the front part of the header. I think the manual says something about being part of the california model or something. Is that needed?

Noooo, don't touch that can or the "g-men" will be on your back lickety split, sending you to the slammer for breaking EPA laws!! :huh: ........BTW, it's there to capture polluting "farts" from your gas tank :laugh: .

Beck

95 VFR

• 1 year later...
Guest Cogs69

I just got my '02 VTEC for a song, and was able to pay cash, but not much left for mods right now. Great bike, but definitely could use some improvements, especially in the FI and suspension. I've been searching the forum, but thought it'd be cool to have a list of little to no cost mods to improve the bike, with comments on their benefits. Should be a good FAQ once compiled, and my bike is bone stock now, so I'm willing to be a guinea pig. Mostly looking for improved driveability and suspension performance, also aesthetic (visual and/or aural). I think weight reduction would be another good catagory. By low-budget, I mean: free, using (adjusting, modifying, or removing) stock parts (or used parts from other models) if possible or worthwhile, or the most cost-effective aftermarket options. For example, a new Ohlins USD fork would be nice, but Race Tech springs, gold valves, and rebound pistons and adjuster caps from an F4, while not free, would be more cost-effective for the majority of riders.

Please add comments, links to how-to threads, and any new mods. I'll compile and edit as we go along, and add my impressions as I perform the mods. Feel free to PM me, or just reply.

Let's go!

-David

INTAKE SYSTEM

Mod: Flapper valve disable

Benefits: Smoother acceleraton through 5k rpm??? Sound enhancement at low rpms?

How to: Lift fuel tank, pull vacuum hose off of flapper control valve diaphram on top of air box, plug hose with bolt, secure with zip tie (optional).

How it works: Disconnecting the vacuum hose will keep the flapper valve from closing the second intake opening under the control valve.

Time: 5 minutes

Cost: $0

Permanance: Completely reversible.

Help: got to http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?page=parts

click on "Air Cleaner" for drawing

Mod: Remove intake snorkel

Benefits: Sound enhancement at WOT, possible performance benefit due to less restriction.

How to: Lift fuel tank, pull snorkle out of right front of airbox lid.

EXHAUST SYSTEM

Mod: De-baffle stock exhaust

Benefits: Sound enhancement, possible performance benefit due to less restriction.

How to:

Time:

Permanance: Not reversible without buying another stock exhaust.

FUEL SYSTEM

Mod: Adjustable fuel pressure regulator (FPR)

Benefits: Improve drivability by reducing lean running conditions

How to:

Time:

Cost: $130 (retail)

Mod: Dynojet Power Commander (PCIII)

Benefits: Improve drivability by modifying fueling maps

How to:

Time:

Cost:

FRONT SUSPENSION

Mod: Heavier fork oil

Benefits: Increased compression and rebound damping with stock internals

How to:

Time:

Cost:

Mod: Raise forks in triple-clamps

Benefits: Improved handling due to steeper head angle, reduced trail

How to:

Time: 20 minutes

Mod: Replace fork springs with Race Tech appropriate for rider weight and use

Benefits: Improved handling, reduced brake dive. Stock springs are too soft.

How to:

Time:

Cost: $110 (retail)

Help: got to http://www.racetech.com/evalving/SpringRat...SpringType=Fork to choose your rate, or direct (15% discount for VFRDG) or through your favorite vendor

REAR SUSPENSION:

Mod: Increase rear ride height by shimming under top shock mount

Benefits: Improved handling due to steeper head angle, reduced trail, increased cornering clearance

How to: Add approximately 4mm of shims under top shock mount to raise ride height ~12mm.

Time:

Any chance to get the broken links fixed? I'm about to do a search, but for the ease of other newcomers it would be nice to have the links work again. These just take me to the homepage. :warranty:

Guest ThomasNielsen

Remove the stickers on the fuel tank

- Use only unleaded fuel

- Always wear protective gear

Improves the look and lower the weight with up to .5 g.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest PlayWithGravity

- Use only unleaded fuel

Got any great advice about removing the stickers from the tank without messing up the finish?

• Member Contributer

- Use only unleaded fuel

Got any great advice about removing the stickers from the tank without messing up the finish?

Goo Gone.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I did the PAIR, flapper, and snorkel mod and noticed a 1 to 2 MPG better gas mileage on average. That's over the last 2,000 miles. Happy so far.

• Member Contributer

I just got my '02 VTEC for a song, and was able to pay cash, but not much left for mods right now. Great bike, but definitely could use some improvements, especially in the FI and suspension. I've been searching the forum, but thought it'd be cool to have a list of little to no cost mods to improve the bike, with comments on their benefits. Should be a good FAQ once compiled, and my bike is bone stock now, so I'm willing to be a guinea pig. Mostly looking for improved driveability and suspension performance, also aesthetic (visual and/or aural). I think weight reduction would be another good catagory. By low-budget, I mean: free, using (adjusting, modifying, or removing) stock parts (or used parts from other models) if possible or worthwhile, or the most cost-effective aftermarket options. For example, a new Ohlins USD fork would be nice, but Race Tech springs, gold valves, and rebound pistons and adjuster caps from an F4, while not free, would be more cost-effective for the majority of riders.

Please add comments, links to how-to threads, and any new mods. I'll compile and edit as we go along, and add my impressions as I perform the mods. Feel free to PM me, or just reply.

Let's go!

-David

INTAKE SYSTEM

Mod: Flapper valve disable

Benefits: Smoother acceleraton through 5k rpm??? Sound enhancement at low rpms?

How to: Lift fuel tank, pull vacuum hose off of flapper control valve diaphram on top of air box, plug hose with bolt, secure with zip tie (optional).

How it works: Disconnecting the vacuum hose will keep the flapper valve from closing the second intake opening under the control valve.

Mod: Remove intake snorkel

Benefits: Sound enhancement at WOT, possible performance benefit due to less restriction.

How to: Lift fuel tank, pull snorkle out of right front of airbox lid.

EXHAUST SYSTEM

Mod: De-baffle stock exhaust

Benefits: Sound enhancement, possible performance benefit due to less restriction.

How to:

Time:

Permanance: Not reversible without buying another stock exhaust.

FUEL SYSTEM

Mod: Adjustable fuel pressure regulator (FPR)

Benefits: Improve drivability by reducing lean running conditions

How to:

Time:

Cost: $130 (retail)

Mod: Dynojet Power Commander (PCIII)

Benefits: Improve drivability by modifying fueling maps

How to:

Time:

Cost:

FRONT SUSPENSION

Mod: Heavier fork oil

Benefits: Increased compression and rebound damping with stock internals

How to:

Time:

Cost:

Mod: Raise forks in triple-clamps

Benefits: Improved handling due to steeper head angle, reduced trail

How to:

Time: 20 minutes

Mod: Replace fork springs with Race Tech appropriate for rider weight and use

Benefits: Improved handling, reduced brake dive. Stock springs are too soft.

How to:

Time:

Cost: $110 (retail)

Help: got to http://www.racetech.com/evalving/SpringRat...SpringType=Fork to choose your rate, or direct (15% discount for VFRDG) or through your favorite vendor

REAR SUSPENSION:

Mod: Increase rear ride height by shimming under top shock mount

Benefits: Improved handling due to steeper head angle, reduced trail, increased cornering clearance

How to: Add approximately 4mm of shims under top shock mount to raise ride height ~12mm.

Time:

Any chance to get the broken links fixed? I'm about to do a search, but for the ease of other newcomers it would be nice to have the links work again. These just take me to the homepage. :warranty:

It may be that those posts have been purged. Going to the end of the modifications section, there's only a handful prior to 2006. The generations sections were recently purged to no more than 600 days old, so many links there are no longer working, either.