FactoryPro Evo Star Shift Kit Report

Trace

All right!

My shift kit is now installed and working (yet to be road-tested). The install was pretty straightforward, thanx to Trace's and Jetpilot's great illustrated instructions. The only hard parts were getting the fairing panel off (despite having done it twice before, it was still a pain, thanx to the plastic clips), and removing a vast quantity of impacted chain spooge from behind the countershaft cover.

No pix, I'm afraid, as the bike is so embarassingly grubby, and I have nothing much to add to the already detailed instructions previously posted.

Edited by enzed_viffer

• Member Contributer

This is a mod i have been meaning to do the last 2 winters and never got around to it.

I guess it was " mine shifts fine" although i've had more than a few false neutrals between 5th and 6th... not good.

I rode a a friends 6th gen a couple times and noticed an immediate difference in the "short throw" of the 6th gen over my 5th. The shifting on his bike was smooth and short. I loved it. I wonder would this install compare to the smoother , shorter shifting on the 6th gen? Anyone? Trace?

Thx for an excellent report Trace

Gary

This is a mod i have been meaning to do the last 2 winters and never got around to it.

I guess it was " mine shifts fine" although i've had more than a few false neutrals between 5th and 6th... not good.

I rode a a friends 6th gen a couple times and noticed an immediate difference in the "short throw" of the 6th gen over my 5th. The shifting on his bike was smooth and short. I loved it. I wonder would this install compare to the smoother , shorter shifting on the 6th gen? Anyone? Trace?

Anyone here. :blink:

I test-rode a 6th gen and my current bike back-to-back, and they were very similar (should be - they share all except gear ratios), and both very slick.

The reason I ordered the shifter kit is that most of my riding is commuting around town, which in itself is hard on transmissions (lots of gear changes, lots of accelerating/decellerating, etc.) and I think I'm a serial transmission wrecker. :goofy:

The gear change was starting to lose its precision, and as it's the best shifting Honda I've ever owned, I was rather alarmed, so I figured (based on the reports) that the kit may help me retain most of the slickness of the gearbox, and help to avoid further trashing of the whirly bits.

I'll post more when I get to road-test it.

I'll post more when I get to road-test it.

Road test completed.

It works: Snickety-Snick.

I'm not sure if it's due to cleaning all the spooge off the bike, the new erl (Mobil 1), or that star thingo (technical term).

Should I replace them one at a time till I work out which one did the trick? :goofy:

I'm not sure if it's due to cleaning all the spooge off the bike, the new erl (Mobil 1), or that star thingo (technical term).

It's clearly due to spooge removal!! :D

dude---I have no time on a 6th, so I can't compare/comment. But it did improve the snickfeel of my relatively low-mileage 2000, FWIW.

• 6 months later...

Great write-up and a good front-page feature. Thanks JetPilot, Trace, and HS.

Why not just mod the OEM star to replicate the Evo Star? Always looking for something to Dremel :lol:

• Member Contributer

i installed one on my 03 the installation was simple but a bit tedious there was a set of instructions on the site that were useful and exact follow it and you will not go wrong i have a service manual and did not need it during the process.

Edited by NYMBYSS

Great write-up and a good front-page feature. Thanks JetPilot, Trace, and HS.

Why not just mod the OEM star to replicate the Evo Star? Always looking for something to Dremel  :lol:

I guess that if you had the Star in your hand, you could maybe dupe the OEM with a Dremel.....but you'd better be good (to keep the surface parallel to the axis) and then get your grindings to a mirror finish. Of course, if you actually have the Star in your hand....you might as well put it on your bike. Plus, you still need to make the rollerized bearing arm and the heavier spring to get the full effect.

Or you could spend the $200. wink.gif

Or you could spend the $200.

Well I think I will - have always been interested in the Factory shift kit, and the Star wheel makes it that much better again. As has been mentioned, shifting is something that you're always doing, so you might as well enjoy it more.

• Member Contributer
i installed one on my 03 the installation was simple but a bit tedious there was a set of instructions on the sit that were useful and exact follow it and you will not go wrong i have a service manual and did not need it during the process.

Just jumping in here a little... :salesman: So do you think it really helps the shifting on your 03? I have an 02 and am always looking for some reason to spend the day with my bike (either on it or under it). I do mostly in town riding with occasional freeway jaunts/ twisties. No track time yet (keyword= yet).

• Member Contributer

I just installed the full kit on my '05 this past week so I only have about 100 miles of experience with it, but in my opinion it definitely helps with overall shifting. Coming off a CBR600F4i I always thought the whole VFR shifting process was a little too mushy, and I often had trouble with the first to second gear shift plus I was always getting false neutrals. The kit just makes shifting more...I think "positive" is a good word to describe it...and combined with good technique makes the whole process seamless. Anyway, if you ask me I think $200 (plus a few quarts of oil and a $2 water pump o-ring) might be a little pricey for what you get, but like Trace has said you couldn't give me $500 to remove it. In fact, even if you gave me $1000 I'd just buy another kit and spend the profit on other goodies. :P

I think what is important with the shifter kit is to install it before your gearchanges start getting bad and the gearbox starts getting tired. Even waiting (as I did) until the effects of your SerialTransmissionWreckingWays take effect in the form of missed shifts and false neutrals, the Evo Star is still beneficial.

I often forget I've got the thing installed.

I wrote up a report on my install for Kiwi Biker, and the comment from one of the many Suzuki GSXR riders was, "So... now it shifts like a Suzuki? Why not just buy a Suzuki then?"

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Phaedrus

Hello,

The factory pro website doesn't have a listing for my '91..and I am assuming the '93 is the same? Help?

Thanks.

i installed one on my 03 the installation was simple but a bit tedious there was a set of instructions on the sit that were useful and exact follow it and you will not go wrong i have a service manual and did not need it during the process.

The factory pro website doesn't have a listing for my '91..and I am assuming the '93 is the same? Help?

Yep, same from 90-97.

Guest Phaedrus

Thanks so much. I believe one can get the original without the star thing for $89. Now...I wonder if the the star thing is really req'd. I am in no hurry to do an oil change just yet (just did one after the winter slumber!!) 'Course if this miss shifting continues to piss me of...well.

Joe

Thanks again for your help.

Phantom,May 10 2006, 01:21 AM]

Yep, same from 90-97.

Joe,

The Evo Star is a relatively recent addition. People have been reporting great results from the original kit without the star for years.

• 1 year later...

FYI I will be the first to have a Star on a Gen 4 (94-97's). Factory Pro is sending me one/the only one made so far to test and report back and if all goes well Factory Pro will be selling them real soon. Don't bother calling Factory Pro till testing it done since I will have the only one made so far. They all ready have a list of who is waiting if you requested to be contacted when they become avalible if you want one and are not on the list call and get on to be sure you get one with the first batch they make. I just happen to be lucky/the first one to request one years ago. I all ready have the Facory Pro Shift kit installed and have been useing it for years/before teh Star was invented so this will be intresting to see if the Star has been worth the wait. I'll post details asap.

• Member Contributer
FYI I will be the first to have a Star on a Gen 4 (94-97's). Factory Pro is sending me one/the only one made so far to test and report back and if all goes well Factory Pro will be selling them real soon. Don't bother calling Factory Pro till testing it done since I will have the only one made so far. They all ready have a list of who is waiting if you requested to be contacted when they become avalible if you want one and are not on the list call and get on to be sure you get one with the first batch they make. I just happen to be lucky/the first one to request one years ago. I all ready have the Facory Pro Shift kit installed and have been useing it for years/before teh Star was invented so this will be intresting to see if the Star has been worth the wait. I'll post details asap.

Looking forward to the writeup! I was hoping they would start making them for our 4th gens.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Joe Foe:

any update on your 4th gen evo star install?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Group buy for 25% off for all gens until July 15, 2007:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33515

Any install reports for other gens will be welcome! Marc at Factory Pro says he will post them on his website if you do a tutorial with pics.

Major bonus points to anyone with a video of an install.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

OK, I've got my shift cover off and am about to start putting the star kit in, but first... The green gasket that's on the shift cover comes off and is replaced by the provided gasket, correct? How do you get it off? It's glued on pretty well around the fastener holes... any tips/tricks?

Thanks,

• Member Contributer

Motherf******************.

I was able to scrape the old gasket off with a razor. Assembled the shift kit, it actuates fine, and I reassembled everything. Cleaning up and I find two small metal pieces. Oh, shit. They're the dowel pins that are supposed to install with the shifter cover. Arggggggg.... are these things important enough that I really have to disassemble the whole thing again to put them in?

I'm not cut out for this mechanic stuff.... ><