Front end shake - help

Guest zenwhipper

Guest zenwhipper

sad.gif

I am on my annual tour from WA to MT. I have noticed a head wobble when I take my hands off the bars and lean back just a bit (to stretch) when I am coming to a slow stop. Sometimes I even notice it with the hands on the bars. I have the hard bags on and a duffle bag with about 70-80 extra pounds of total weight (bags included). This seems to lighten the front enough to cause the shake. My suspension settings are stock on my '02.

Should I be concerned about this? I only notice it when I unweight the front.

Is there a change in my suspension setteings I can do to fix this?

Hmmm - what do two up folks do with an additonal 100+ pounds on the back? :huh:

Thanks Mates!

zw

smile.gif

headshake on decel has been an on/off issue with VFRs since the 4th gen came out. I'd try a different brand front tire. I had headshake on Dunlops, but not on Metzlers, Avons or Michelins.

While on your trip, I suggest you not perform the behavior that initiates the headshake. Address the tires when you get home.

• Member Contributer
sad.gif

Should I be concerned about this? I only notice it when I unweight the front.

Is there a change in my suspension setteings I can do to fix this?

Hmmm - what do two up folks do with an additonal 100+ pounds on the back?  :huh:

This happens with my '02 with Avon Azarros, with no weight on the back, just 120 lb. me on the front. The tires are fairly new -- maybe 1500 miles or so.

I don't take my hands off the bars when I decel any more. smile.gif

Mine also shakes under hard acceleration -- much more so, and less predictably than any other bike I've had, but that may just be a characteristic of the VFR too.

This happens with my '02 with Avon Azarros, with no weight on the back, just 120 lb. me on the front.  The tires are fairly new -- maybe 1500 miles or so. 

I don't take my hands off the bars when I decel any more.  smile.gif

Mine also shakes under hard acceleration -- much more so, and less predictably  than any other bike I've had, but that may just be a characteristic of the VFR too.

my front shakes aswell when i let go of the bars. i thought it might be because of how old the bike was. im look at installing a stablizer shock on the bars like you see on most new rice burnners.

• Member Contributer
Should I be concerned about this?

Please note that most bikes will experience a normal deceleration wobble if you let go of the bars... most noticeable as speed drops in the 40 to 30 range... if you grip the bars back and it should go away...

Bike manufactures spend huge sums of money working directly with tire manufactures in designing special tires specifically for each model that quills this natural tendency...

Guest Jackman

FWIW - I replaced the head bearings with roller type bearings over a year ago and the wobble went away. My front Avon looks like it has scales right now and no wobble anytime.

I have had this on my 99VFR, when front tyre is worn, but only with hands off the bars slowing down at about 30mph. New front tyre and it goes away. Am running Bridgestone 020s. I've also had the tread "cupping" (probably the same as scales), but this doesn't always cause the wobble. I had a chat to the Bridgestone rep at a bike show and he said that the cupping occurs on some tyres but not on others, and as long as handling is OK don't worry.

You could try raising the rear height by winding the preload up a bit when the bike is loaded. May help. But as said before, alot of VFRs do the shake.

• 2 months later...
FWIW - I replaced the head bearings with roller type bearings over a year ago and the wobble went away. My front Avon looks like it has scales right now and no wobble anytime.

I am looking to replace my head bearings with tapered bearings. Where, or better yet, how did you figure out which bearings to get? I have tried some part #'s but got no where. I have a '93 VFR with 51000 miles.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Randy Stem

I am looking to replace my head bearings with tapered bearings. Where, or better yet, how did you figure out which bearings to get? I have tried some part #'s but got no where. I have a '93 VFR with 51000 miles.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Randy Stem

If you're getting headshake on decel and have more than about 15K miles on your VFR, there's a strong chance your steering head bearings are toast. Honda uses those crappy ball bearing ones.

Honda makes the appropriate parts (this is for my 98):

1 ? Dust seal, steering head (lower) - 53214-371-010

1 ? Dust seal, steering head (upper) - 53214-KA4-701

1 ? Bearing, tapered head pipe (lower) - 91016-371-000

1 ? Bearing, tapered head pipe (upper) - 91015-425-832

After replacing my steering head bearings, I have no signs of shake, even with the bike and Givis loaded.

Note that on almost any motorcycle, if you're getting headshake on decel (usually 40mph or so) you shouldn't ignore your steering head bearings as a potential cause.

1411742-M.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

• 1 month later...

thanks guys i posted a question like this before and all i got was people saying that its all bent and this and that junk so yeah i got 20k on mine so i think i should change the bearings

does honda sell the roller bearings or better ones than stock

or where did you guys get yours?

• 2 months later...

:beer: This list is great! I had the dreaded head shakes this weekend on my first ride on my 95. I was thinking all kinds of scary thoughts like bent forks etc... but at 35k miles I'm going for new head bearings as the probable cause.

I had the low speed, hands off the bars, head shake too. Got a new front tire and it is gone. I think proper wheel balancing may be the main issue. You guys may want to rule out tire and wheel issues before replacing head bearings.

• Member Contributer
thanks guys i posted a question like this before and all i got was people saying that its all bent and this and that? junk?  so yeah i got 20k on mine so i think i should change the bearings

does honda sell the roller bearings or better ones than stock

or where did you guys get yours?

No, you posted that your bike moved while on the brakes. That has nothing to do with coasting with your hands off the bike. Link 1.

And while braking and cornering at the same time. Plus, you mentioned it was a salvage bike. Link 2

• Member Contributer

Head Shake....Me too. Only at low speed and hands loose on bars. Grip the bars firmly and it's gone.

Running a Dunlop 208 and it is almost at the end of its life. The middle of the tire has tread the edges don't and the chicken strips are about 1/2" from the edge.

Never had this problem with 220's and the wheel is in for a new D220 now.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wingspan

My '94 does this as well. I haven't had the bike long, so at first I blamed the worn tires it came with. This morning it did with with the new (~100 miles) Diablo Stradas. The bike only has 15k miles and the steering head bearings feel fine.

If you're getting headshake on decel and have more than about 15K miles on your VFR, there's a strong chance your steering head bearings are toast.  Honda uses those crappy ball bearing ones.

Honda makes the appropriate parts (this is for my 98):

1 ? Dust seal, steering head (lower) -  53214-371-010

1 ? Dust seal, steering head (upper) -  53214-KA4-701

1 ? Bearing, tapered head pipe (lower) -  91016-371-000

1 ? Bearing, tapered head pipe (upper) -  91015-425-832

After replacing my steering head bearings, I have no signs of shake, even with the bike and Givis loaded.

Note that on almost any motorcycle, if you're getting headshake on decel (usually 40mph or so) you shouldn't ignore your steering head bearings as a potential cause.

1411742-M.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

First thing I did with new bike, make sure steering head was well greased and snug it good, stability although good went into excellent status afterwards. How long the caged balls hold up dont know, but I suspect most never do anything in that area till it fails.

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Yep, i know that shake....

My 99 is rock steady with roadtec z6's (love em!) with no hands on the barsi can come miles down the twisties that way.

HOWEVER, if i have the GF on the back (or a lot of luggage ) it will do it every time. i think it has to do with unweighting the Fr end. adding some rear preload helps.

But ya, worn bearings will do it, and the roller bearings dont help per se, but they will add some induced drag which is what helps stop the initial cyclic movement. Roller bearings have very little drag, and none when they are slightly worn.

That induced drag is what makes a steering stabilizer work. they dont have to stop a full blown headshaker, they just have to stop the tiny little initial surge that sets the whole thing off...

• Member Contributer

I had this problem (it is a problem) on my '94.

1. Stiffened the rear shock a bit and got new Pilot Powers (this eliminated the wobble totally)

(also, the original owner had a 180 rear, and I went back to 170)

Then I did:

2. I lowered the front on the forks like 6-8mm, and added the Rogue Risers. This really improved the handling.

I guess some can except the wobble as "normal". I don't. You should be able to ride the bike without any hands on the bars, imo. It should inspire confidence at all times, or I will be freaked out.

The bike is now totally PLANTED in turns. Before, the front end felt vague and scary in turns. I used to hate tight technical roads, now I seek and destroy them!! Alot of the feel now is the Pilot Power tires. They are incredible tires.

I know this works for the 4th gen, don't now about the others. Also, I am noticing a harmonic sound from my triple area, so I suspect I need new bearings, too.

Archived