Best tires for the VFR??? Updated 2011

Guest apaquin

Which is the best tire for the VFR?  

861 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best tire for the VFR?

• Pirelli Diablo Angle
    • Avon AV45-AV46
    • Michelin Pilot Road 2
    • Bridgestone 023
    • Metzeler Z6
    • Bridgestone 016
    • Michelin Pilot Power
    • Conti Attack
    • Dunlop Roadsmart
    • Dunlop Q2
    • Rensports

• Member Contributer

Update:

Under 3k miles. The rear BT-023 is D-U-N done. The front has about 2/3 life left, which is impressive.

$/mile

BT-023 front (est) $100/7.5k-$.013/mile (hard for me to believe if I didn't ride the miles myself)

RS2 front $130/5k-$.026/mile

BT-23 rear $135/3k=$.045/mile (not much of a deal, despite lower pricepoint)

RS2 rear $180/5k=$.036/mile (and better in rain)

• Member Contributer

I've got Pilot Powers. Two seven hundred mile trips of Superslab riding has created an unfortunate flat spot on the rear, but the front is okay. I will try the Road2 on the back. I don't do much riding in the rain so I don't think I need the Pilot Power Road 3s.

Also, I know some of you use a Pilot Power up front and a Pilot Road on the back. I spoke to a Michelin Rep who didn't see the need to have the Power up front; he thought I ought to get the road 2 set. Maybe he was just trying to sell me something.

The Michelin guy probably doesn't understand the desire for the front and rear to wear out at the same rate. Nothing I disliked more before I started using ST tires on the rear with Sport tire on the front than that in between set of tires where the rear was worn out but the front looked ok so I spooned another rear on and the front feel was crap.

nothing feels better than a new pair of shoes on the VFR...

• Like 1

I need to share my experience with the ContiRoadAttack 2 tires. They are hands down the best tires I have ever used. They are quiet, are wearing wonderfuly, don't have "dual compounds" so there is no transition feel, but rather one compound that is heated differently between the sides and the center tread. These things grip like glue and they didn't even need to be scrubbed in.

For a hypersport tire, they are the best that I have found. Definitely worth a look if you are due for a replacement.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Update:

Under 3k miles. The rear BT-023 is D-U-N done. The front has about 2/3 life left, which is impressive.

$/mile

BT-023 front (est) $100/7.5k-$.013/mile (hard for me to believe if I didn't ride the miles myself)

RS2 front $130/5k-$.026/mile

BT-23 rear $135/3k=$.045/mile (not much of a deal, despite lower pricepoint)

RS2 rear $180/5k=$.036/mile (and better in rain)

Interested to see how you go, I would vote for you to try a RSII rear to see how the 023 front wears.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well, I pulled off the BT-023 pair and installed a set of RS2s today. The rear was done at under 3k miles, which just makes me sad. The front has a ton of life left, but I wanted a match pair. One test drive later and ayep, I made the right decision. They are better in every way. They last longer, provide way more feedback, make tar snakes disappear, and work better in the wet.

I now have a less than ½ worn BT-23 front left over which I may keep for later, or sell along with my track day takeoffs. I wish Dunlop made these in CB-1 size…

• 1 year later...

I expect to be riding rain or shine, so I do want safe grip in either conditions. I also want a comfortable ride. I still have the original OEM Bridgestones with 3500 miles on them, but they are five years old.

I don't know if it would be worth switching out for something else. I keep hearing about the Michelin P3 and P4's. How do they rate on a VFR?

• Member Contributer

I expect to be riding rain or shine, so I do want safe grip in either conditions. I also want a comfortable ride. I still have the original OEM Bridgestones with 3500 miles on them, but they are five years old.

I don't know if it would be worth switching out for something else. I keep hearing about the Michelin P3 and P4's. How do they rate on a VFR?

I love my Pirelli Angel GTs in all conditions on my VFR800... don't know how they will perform on the big 1200

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Can't say how they are on a 1200 but I've had 2 sets of PR3s on my 800s and they are outstanding.

Have a new PR4 on the spare wheel waiting for my 6th Gen.

I've been through a couple of sets of PR4s & they are just outstanding. A felllow VFR buddy has a 6th gen--he uses angel GT's and he swears by them also. Neither tire will disappoint you.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished a 2300 mile cross country on PR4's. It was in the 30s and raining for most of the trip. One leg was below 30 in freezing fog, that got my attention. Mostly freeway but a brief technical segment on old Rte 66 between Needles and Kingman.

1. Tires held up amazingly well. Other than being well run-in, there is no visible wear in the front. The rear is a teeny teeny bit squared off. Mighta shoulda run the rear at 42psi instead of 40, I was riding pretty heavy.

2. Absolutely amazing stickum in cold rain. I don't think I could have asked the tires to do more than they did. Absolutely no indication of hydroplaning, although I kept it below 60 when it was raining.

3. Hard to say how they did in the twisties, I was carrying a lot of weight in the rear and the road was in awful condition. I didn't push it. (If you've been on that road, you know why)

I dunno that I would choose this tire for aggressive riding in good conditions, among other things the wear pattern on the PR3's that the bike came with was really weird, leaves a high ridge of hard rubber that makes the bike really squirrely. But for the open highway, my jaw is hanging open. Just can't believe how well these things did.

• Like 1

I'm about 3/4ths of the way through a set of PR4's on my 8th gen and seeing pronounced feathering of the sipe blocks both front and rear. I suppose I have done too much aggressive canyon riding for the intent of these, but after 3000 miles with about 1000 left on the rear, the handling is still excellent. Getting at least 25% more treadwear out of these compared to PR2 on the 6th gen.

Next will be a set of Dunlops, Q3 front and R2 rear.

post-12595-0-55596900-1424183190.jpg

• 3 months later...

I had some Pilot Road 4 GT's fitted at the weekend, they're not broken in but already seem excellent. They're stiffer than the regular PR4's and really improve the flickability of the bike (though that may also be due to coming from squared off T30's). I rode home in the rain yesterday and they felt incredibly confident, traffic was too heavy to try and actively upset the traction control but the way they held the road felt as good as the T30's on a hot, dry day. I can't wait to see what they're like after another 60 miles.

• 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On September 9, 2013 at 2:06 PM, CornerCarver said:

I've got Pilot Powers. Two seven hundred mile trips of Superslab riding has created an unfortunate flat spot on the rear, but the front is okay. I will try the Road2 on the back. I don't do much riding in the rain so I don't think I need the Pilot Power Road 3s.

Also, I know some of you use a Pilot Power up front and a Pilot Road on the back. I spoke to a Michelin Rep who didn't see the need to have the Power up front; he thought I ought to get the road 2 set. Maybe he was just trying to sell me something.

The Michelin guy probably doesn't understand the desire for the front and rear to wear out at the same rate.  Nothing I disliked more before I started using ST tires on the rear with Sport tire on the front than that in between set of tires where the rear was worn out but the front looked ok so I spooned another rear on and the front feel was crap.

nothing feels better than a new pair of shoes on the VFR...

Picky, picky, picky.....and I thought you could throw around a bike in the twisties.....; )

• 4 weeks later...

Rogue Option:
Shinko Verge 2x.  ~220 a set.

016-verge-2x.jpg

I'm on my 3rd set of them.  outstanding grip,  feedback,  and wear characteristics for a tire I would rate 1 on 1 with Pilot Power 1's.

Capable enough in Jacksonville NC every-other-day rains.  I take them out on Old Maple Hill Road,  and smash them at 45 degrees near triple digits with zero drama,  I do 650+ mile trips to ohio from NC on them,  flawless on the interstate,  flawless getting smashed through the WV turnpike,  flawless over roadworks and weird grains of chewed up pavement.  I've done several Advanced Rider Course sets at Cherry Point on their prepped airstrip tarmac as well.  towards the end of the program they put the quick and experienced riders with like,  and the beginners with beginners,  and turn them loose on the coned out sort of auto x they have on the airstrip,  because we're the military and we know we're gonna push a little no matter what,  so good pointers for form when pushing are in order.  and they REALLY hung on.  kept the rearend underneath the bike while the instructors were telling me to be cautious because I was spinning the rear up coming out of the sharper bends,  but I didn't get even a wag out of her.  the tread was accordingly a little melty on the shoulders in the rear,  but they held together really well for 15 minute nearly full on romps through the cones digging in 2nd gear,  to the chip on the short straights and mashing brakes before sharp hairpin turn ins ect. 

I know some people have tried to hoon on Ravens and have been bitten.  I know some guys have tried to do more than just track day short stints on their soft compound slicks and gotten bitten,  but if you do what they're designed for,  the verge 2x will really treat you right.  Even in the wallet.  I get about 3-4 out of a rear,  and I pretty much torture them when they're not on a road trip.  7-8 k before the front's shoulders get barren. 

Breakins are no thing either.  ride them with traffic around town and through some turns.  take them out of town and 55mph around some bends,  check to make sure the shine is beaten off of lion's share of the tire,  then enjoy.  ~ 50 mile break-in or less.

• 11 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Anyone used the new Pirelli Angel GT?  What do you think of them?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I commuted for years using Pilot Road 4 on my CBF 600 before selling it and was more than happy with them on (very confidence inspiring, great durability, outstanding wet grip).

Now, when I bought my VFR few months ago, she had brand new Metzeler z6 equipped so I just thought "Well, let's try it".

Today, after 2k Miles and 2-3 nasty surprises from my rear tire I am thinking of replacing them, even if they are still in pretty good shape...

Knowing that I ride mostly to commute (under any weather/temperature, on dirty/bumpy roads...) with some outing in twisties during week-ends and that I don't ride very aggressively, should I just go for the PR4s?

Are there interesting alternatives?

I read/heard some pretty good things about the last Road Smart, has anyone tried them??

Thanks in advance :wink:

• Member Contributer
46 minutes ago, Coatzin said:

Hi everyone,

I commuted for years using Pilot Road 4 on my CBF 600 before selling it and was more than happy with them on (very confidence inspiring, great durability, outstanding wet grip).

Now, when I bought my VFR few months ago, she had brand new Metzeler z6 equipped so I just thought "Well, let's try it".

Today, after 2k Miles and 2-3 nasty surprises from my rear tire I am thinking of replacing them, even if they are still in pretty good shape...

Knowing that I ride mostly to commute (under any weather/temperature, on dirty/bumpy roads...) with some outing in twisties during week-ends and that I don't ride very aggressively, should I just go for the PR4s?

Are there interesting alternatives?

I read/heard some pretty good things about the last Road Smart, has anyone tried them??

Thanks in advance :wink:

Many riders here use and enjoy the PR4, myself included. It is a very well rounded tire (pun not intended), it does a lot, last a good many miles and seems to perform well for most riders. I usually stick with what I know and may step out of my comfort zone once in a while to try something that others have made good comments about. However, that is usually when I have doubts and/or desires to see if there is something better than what I know. Sometimes cost is a factor and considering Michelins are not cheap, it may be worth trying something else once in a while. Basically, if you're comfortable with them and don't have any cost issues, they will do just fine on your VFR.

As far as the Road Smarts, I believe there are few here that have tried them, so I'll let them chime in as I have used Dunlops in quite some time.

20 minutes ago, Duc2V4 said:

Many riders here use and enjoy the PR4, myself included. It is a very well rounded tire (pun not intended), it does a lot, last a good many miles and seems to perform well for most riders. I usually stick with what I know and may step out of my comfort zone once in a while to try something that others have made good comments about. However, that is usually when I have doubts and/or desires to see if there is something better than what I know. Sometimes cost is a factor and considering Michelins are not cheap, it may be worth trying something else once in a while. Basically, if you're comfortable with them and don't have any cost issues, they will do just fine on your VFR.

As far as the Road Smarts, I believe there are few here that have tried them, so I'll let them chime in as I have used Dunlops in quite some time.

Yep, it seems we have the same way of seeing things :happy:

But since lots of people tend to say that the RS3s perform even better than the PR4s, I am quite tempted ....

Will wait some more feedback in read into it a bit more before making my decision.

lol, I love a tire thread,  since there's like 100s of posts, I'll just throw out my take on the subject.    Pirelli Diablo Rossas   Nuff said. :goofy:

• Member Contributer
58 minutes ago, RVFR said:

lol, I love a tire thread,  since there's like 100s of posts, I'll just throw out my take on the subject.    Pirelli Diablo Rossas   Nuff said. :goofy:

that's what I am running right now. roughly 2000 miles and they are starting to flatten off from commuting on the highway with them. next week I should be able to test them in some good corners.

• Member Contributer
On 5/18/2017 at 10:10 AM, Bent said:

Anyone used the new Pirelli Angel GT?  What do you think of them?

Ah-May-Zing

I got almost 10k out of my front.  The rear had 7500 on it before I got a flat and replaced it.  Looked like it could have gone a few thousand more.

If you want mileage AND grip, go Angel GT.  If you want grip, go Diablo Rosso 3.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, deltaboxii said:

Ah-May-Zing

I got almost 10k out of my front.  The rear had 7500 on it before I got a flat and replaced it.  Looked like it could have gone a few thousand more.

If you want mileage AND grip, go Angel GT.  If you want grip, go Diablo Rosso 3.

Thank you!  I hope to be Ah-May-Zed, once I get them out of the basement and onto the VFR.....; )  I've never gotten even close to 10K from any tire.  I'll feel fortunate if I get 4K from them.  

They really lean against a wall well in a basement........great grip.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1