Best tires for the VFR??? Updated 2011

Guest apaquin

Which is the best tire for the VFR?  

861 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best tire for the VFR?

• Pirelli Diablo Angle
    • Avon AV45-AV46
    • Michelin Pilot Road 2
    • Bridgestone 023
    • Metzeler Z6
    • Bridgestone 016
    • Michelin Pilot Power
    • Conti Attack
    • Dunlop Roadsmart
    • Dunlop Q2
    • Rensports

OK, I updated a few of the tire models and zeroed out the poll numbers to get a fresh start in 2011.

PM me or post here about tires that you think should be added or deleted from the poll.

I also deleted most post older than early 2009 to keep the thread more current!

BR

PS let me know of any tire you wish added to the poll.

I believed the Pilot Road 2 was the best tire I have ever used. Now, I can say the Pilot Road 3 is the best tire I have used (sport-touring wise). Awesome in the rain, glue in the dry, and glue around the twisties (NC not FL...LOL). PR3 two thumbs up, way up!

One of my long time riding buddies is running the PR3 on his K1300 and he doesn't like them as much as the 2 when pushing them. :ph34r:

BR, do you gather its a front tire thing or the rear?

He was talking about the feel of the rear when pitching it hard into a turn.

BR, any chance your friend was/is running the BMW version of the PR3 rear? I'm not sure Michelin offers this for the PR3, but they did offer a PR2 with stiffer sidewall that was really meant for heavier bikes, but in some cases marketed as a BMW-specific tire.

• Member Contributer

BR, any chance your friend was/is running the BMW version of the PR3 rear? I'm not sure Michelin offers this for the PR3, but they did offer a PR2 with stiffer sidewall that was really meant for heavier bikes, but in some cases marketed as a BMW-specific tire.

The PR3 is available in the "B" rating just like the PR2.

**Note: The size denoted by "B" is designed for loaded touring or two-up riding

I believed the Pilot Road 2 was the best tire I have ever used. Now, I can say the Pilot Road 3 is the best tire I have used (sport-touring wise). Awesome in the rain, glue in the dry, and glue around the twisties (NC not FL...LOL). PR3 two thumbs up, way up!

One of my long time riding buddies is running the PR3 on his K1300 and he doesn't like them as much as the 2 when pushing them. :ph34r:

BR, do you gather its a front tire thing or the rear?

He was talking about the feel of the rear when pitching it hard into a turn.

Will ask at some point!

• Member Contributer

13k miles? That is something. I get far less than that from my sport touring bikes/tire combos. I'm not getting anywhere near 50MPG on my '99 either. One of us is doing something wrong. lol

Once these Michelins that came on the bike wear out, I'm likely to go with Q2 or RoadSmarts.

Best motorcycle oil, 'eh? Thems is fightin' words! lol

After buying a second 5th gen (Lobsters '00) with PP2CT's I've come to the conclusion that thePP2CTs on the '00 handle significantly better than the RoadSmarts. The PP2CTs practically turn themselves. Much less effort. I am voting for the PP2CTs now instead of the Roadies.

I do have some insight into my high mileage numbers. First, I am 5'8" and 145 pounds. I present a lower frontal area being a small person. Weight also is a factor. Second, I have an aftermarket Givi windscreen that is 2" taller than stock. At first I thought it would decrease mileage, but I found the opposite. And, this is a big one, I spend a good portion the time at speed tucked behind the windscreen. When I go from upright sitting position to a tucked position, speed increases by at least 5 mph. I figure this represents a significant reduction in drag. I can cut back the throttle and maintain the same speed; this must result in increased mileage. And my neck muscles are now a big as a TV wrestler's. :pinocchio: Seriously, to does require some conditioning in the spring (read: sore neck).

Just my 2 cents worth.

Edited by MaxSwell

not sure if this a deal or not

Michelin Rear Pilot Road 2 180/55ZR-17

Michelin Front Pilot Power 2CT 120/70ZR-17

$248.98 Dennis Kirk

That's a pretty good price! I would switch the front from the PP 2ct to the standard PP and save more w/o losing any grip for the street and the PP/PR2 set will wear out at about the same rate! :smile:

• Like 1

OK, I updated a few of the tire models and zeroed out the poll numbers to get a fresh start in 2011.

PM me or post here about tires that you think should be added or deleted from the poll.

BR

It might be splitting hairs, but the PP/PR2 (or 3) combo FTW...maybe put it as its own line on the poll? Otherwise if I vote for both separately it skews the results.

Brian

BR

It might be splitting hairs, but the PP/PR2 (or 3) combo FTW...maybe put it as its own line on the poll? Otherwise if I vote for both separately it skews the results.

Brian

For some reason I can't figure out how to add anything else! :sad: I can only edit what's already there! :ph34r:

• Member Contributer
not sure if this a deal or not Michelin Rear Pilot Road 2 180/55ZR-17 Michelin Front Pilot Power 2CT 120/70ZR-17 $248.98 Dennis Kirk
That's a pretty good price! I would switch the front from the PP 2ct to the standard PP and save more w/o losing any grip for the street and the PP/PR2 set will wear out at about the same rate! :smile:

thanks for the info

i got the pp/pr2 set for $237.98

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I like Dunlops and was keen on trying the Qualifier 2, but I called the bike shop where I get my bike stuff from the other day (realising the middle of the rear tyre was almost gone) and asked what they had in stock in a 170 rear. They probably won't get any more stock in until after Xmas, and the tyre they had in the size was a Pilot Road 3, so that's just gone on the rear.

I'll see how it goes. I put a PR2 on the back of the Street Triple a couple of years back, and handling and durability were good, but on a light bike at least, I didn't think the edge grip was any better then the OEM Qualifier, and the feel not as good.

Most likely the progress made from the PR2 to the 3 comes into play, and the VFR is heavier than the little 675. I suspect that the PR3 would last better than the Q2, and all these tyres are on a different planet to the non-radial 130 rears some of us were raised on, riding big Japan Inc fours back in the early Eighties.

The rear that just came off was a tired BT 014 with most of the side tread still left, probably from the commuting done by the previous owner. Compared to the 014 at the standard 42ish psi (I haven't checked the new one's pressure yet), the ride quality of the fresh PR3 is immediately and quite noticably sweeter - almost as though a better quality rear shock had just been fitted. I guess that if it's a lighter tyre as claimed, then the rear end losing some unsprung weight could well be helping the suspension compliance.

That might not be completely fair, given the unknown age of the old Bridgestone and the flattenedness (the bike was still steering nicely), but the maker's claims and some of the testimonials here and elsewhere line up with what I've noticed right away in the first few km. The steering's obviously better, thanks to the new profile not having a flat spot in the middle, not to mention the fact that the rear ride height has likely gained a few mm with the new tread.

So far, so good. The new tyre feel, and especially for the first time on this bike that came to me with a tired set, is one of life's great pleasures for me. Knowing there's plenty of miles/km ahead (depending on where the tyre was made), to be ridden on a new tyre that's a generation (or maybe two) ahead of the last one, along with the clear improvement to the whole ride, is always a treat.

The front Bridgestone BT 054 is on the way down, but is evenly worn, so that can stay on for while longer since it seems to be behaving well enough. Like the rear, I don't know how old (and possibly hardened/tired in the carcass) it is, but grip and handling seem workmanlike. I don't think it's a top shelf model, and I definitely want something very grippy on the front when I change it. That said, I've touched a foot down here and there around town without meaning to test the grip, so it's decent for sure. The trouble is, I don't really want to explore closer to where the limit might be until I get a new front as well, so that I can be dealing with higher spec, newer compound/construction and a more known quantity. I also don't really know the 054's form in the wet either, so I'll hold off a bit (or try to, with the new rear PR3 urging me on, my ever-growing familiarity with the 4th Gen, and my steadily returning bike Mojo after two years bikeless) until a top notch new front goes on. I love fanging in the rain, so long as I'm not freezing cold.

Best tire/tyre for the VFR? Who knows, but it's surely hard to go wrong with any of the higher performance recent tyres from the usual suspects, so long as the model matches the usage/bike/rider triangle, so I'm just going to enjoy the new PR3 anyway. While I'd still prefer the Q2 for pushing the limits in the twisties (but having not yet tried newer than the the OEM Triumph Qualifier), my plans to do more travel rides on the VFR probably means enough necessary straight roads in the mix to make the PR3 an ideal choice.

In the meantime, I'll have to decide on what will go on the front next...

Edited by GearWhyne

Guest Gamecock94

I've only had PR2's on my VFR since I've had it 18 months or so. However, I just picked up a PP2CT front with only 400 miles on it for $65 off Craigslist. So I'm gonna try that PR2 Rear/PP front combo.

On my old FZ1 I had been through Maxxis (on it when purchased), Metzler M1 and M3's, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, Michelin Pilot Powers. Also had Bridgestone BT014's on my old FZR600. Of all the tires I'd say I like the Michelin's the best, then Pirelli.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I bought the bike about 900 miles ago and kept the used PRs set with 2008 date codes. They were down to 2.5mm of tread then. The previous owner just putted around. Once I started riding it at any speed with the dreadfully soft stock front end, odd tire wear ensued. I will surely need tires in 2011, likely before summer.

There seem to be plenty of options. My short list is:

Dunlop: Q2, Roadsmart, Roadsmart II,

Michelin: PR2, PR3

Bridgestone BT-023

I'm a diehard Dunlop fan but am open to trying others. The PR2s on the VFR now work fine, but others can be had cheaper, and will probably work and wear about the same.

This bike will see some track time, now that the suspension is done. I have the option of leaving the street sport touring tires on, or spooning on a set of /track/race tires.

I enjoy reading about everyone's experiences and opinions on tires, suspension, etc!

• Member Contributer

This Poll needs to be reset and the Pilot Road 3 and other new tires added to the list. I've heard great things about the PR3, so that's what I'm probably ordering. Any suggestions as to where the best deal is?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Who has used the Angel ST on their VFR, fully loaded ( 2 bags / 3 bags tent and sink ) for long distance rides - all weather riding. Good mileage with all of your gear on the bike ?, great wet grip?.

I have been offered a set and I am thinking about trying them out but want a little feedback if any is avail.

Reminder, I live in Alberta where a drive to Calgary is a 3 hour trip..... almost in a straight line. 6 hours away from the "spirited" roads so draggin my knee does not happen unless I leave the Safeway parking lot really fast.