Best tires for the VFR??? Updated 2011

Guest apaquin

Which is the best tire for the VFR?  

861 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best tire for the VFR?

• Pirelli Diablo Angle
    • Avon AV45-AV46
    • Michelin Pilot Road 2
    • Bridgestone 023
    • Metzeler Z6
    • Bridgestone 016
    • Michelin Pilot Power
    • Conti Attack
    • Dunlop Roadsmart
    • Dunlop Q2
    • Rensports

• Member Contributer
On 10/30/2020 at 8:56 PM, CornerCarver said:

Conti Road Attack 3....grip like a sport tire, wear like a touring tire.

If you have a 5.5” rear try a 170 and be amazed at the feeling, it is as though your VFR lost 100 lbs in weight.

Good thing I have a huge pile of 180 Conti RA3s in my basement along with a leftover T31. 🥴

• 11 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I guess, my opinion will not qualify since I am running not very popular Shinko 011 verge on my '97.

These tires stick pretty well, not  sensitive to tar snakes (which we have a lot here in central CT)

I usually get 4K miles out of my tires, but I do not tour, just sport on back roads. Had Conti Sport Attack on the front for 3 weeks but took it off due to steering wobble (2" shake at 45 mph with hands off)

I would be inclined to try the Shinko stealth 003 but would like to know a reference point on how long these will last. Not that I care about how many miles I can get out of them, I just do not feel like taking the wheels off every 1000 miles to get them replaced.  

• Member Contributer

The tires on my '98 are nearing end of life, especially the rear (~3500 miles per RS2 rear). The tires on the '00 are original and unpleasant to think about riding on. 🙂

My '98 had RoadSmart IIs, which I am in love with. They aren't available anymore, but IIIs and IVs are. I have one set left in the closet and am not sure which bike they will go on. Probably the '00 as it isn't riding as is (not is it on the road yet). 

I truly had no issues on the GPR-300 set on the CB-1, but the typical dunlop feedback wasn't in play. If I were riding the VFR more (too many bikes!) I'd try the RoadSport IIs and report back. 

I haven't ridden any Metzlers, Bridgestones, or Michelins that I've liked. I generally ride the VFR pretty hard solo or two up and have even had it coaching at some track days (with proper tires, not STs which uslaly start to give up before turn 2!). 

N2_CMP-20190901095641-6345sm.thumb.jpg.598e2f265259c01027924d91c5af4ea2.jpg

IMG_1884.thumb.JPG.e479083bf9b5f109ad40d387e46f9714.JPG

1685460541_2015-08-27gap.jpg.b9effa1569d44e51c7fc80b12a4f22c7.jpg

1 hour ago, Wald said:

I guess, my opinion will not qualify since I am running not very popular Shinko 011 verge on my '97.

These tires stick pretty well, not  sensitive to tar snakes (which we have a lot here in central CT)

I usually get 4K miles out of my tires, but I do not tour, just sport on back roads. Had Conti Sport Attack on the front for 3 weeks but took it off due to steering wobble (2" shake at 45 mph with hands off)

I would be inclined to try the Shinko stealth 003 but would like to know a reference point on how long these will last. Not that I care about how many miles I can get out of them, I just do not feel like taking the wheels off every 1000 miles to get them replaced.  

I too have Shinzo Verge. They were less than $200 for a pair before installation. Lasted nearly 5k, still has some life left. Gripped well on the dry pavement. I do not ride much in the rain. I can’t say anything bad about these tires. 

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Personally, I've had really good experience with Shinko past 10-yrs. Been using their 003 model for track on my CBR600RR. They're exactly same as former Yokohama 003 tyres, didn't even change the name or tread-pattern! Get about 20 trackdays from set!

Been using their Verge 2x for street and it offers amazing grip. Dual compound really works, looks like I'll get 10K-miles out of this set. When tyres on VFR wears out, I'll put set of these on there too!

• Member Contributer

The original poll gets a lot of votes for PR2's.  They are still available on Amazon.  The 120/180 set is $220 at your door.  I bought a set spring '21 - the date codes were around Oct, '20, so for me acceptable.  Made in Spain.   There are a few buyers that report old date codes - I guess that's the roll of the dice anytime buying tires on line.  At any rate - that is a smokin' deal on those.  I hope they're still around when I need them again! 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

+1 Cogswell for the Michelin PR2's, my go to tires as well. For good all round performance, longevity and price.....a great tire. Probably not the best for high performance riders!:wheel:

However if you're like me....Faster than slow riders and slower than fast riders! They are excellent.:fing02:

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Grum said:

+1 Cogswell for the Michelin PR2's, my go to tires as well. For good all round performance, longevity and price.....a great tire. Probably not the best for high performance riders!:wheel:

However if you're like me....Faster than slow riders and slower than fast riders! They are excellent.:fing02:

+1 Me Too!

• Member Contributer

I'm a creature (truth) of habit, but I like the original Pilot Powers and generally cheap. (About $110 rear and $95 front)

Now if I was going cross country, probably would need something else.

• Member Contributer

I ride like Grum - definitely not the fastest, but enough so that I want a tire I'm confident in.  My last Road 2's came off at just over 8,000 miles.  Had I been 1,000 miles from home, I'm very confident they would have made it - maybe even further, to around 10,000 total miles before they were truly shot - showing cords, etc.  I'm too chicken to take it that far for a lousy couple of hundred bucks, so I change 'em before they're totally done.  I have a set of Pilot Powers (didn't know they could still be had) on a 2nd set of wheels, but have never ridden them to exhaustion so don't know how far they'd go. 

I don't see Angel GT's in the original poll, likely they were not out then.  They might be on the list if it were taken again.  I've thought about trying those when I can no longer get the Road 2's. 

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Spooned the last pair of RSIIs onto the yellow bike and will eventually get to ride it! The'98 will likely get RSIIIs in the spring. 

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 10/5/2021 at 7:03 PM, Cogswell said:

The original poll gets a lot of votes for PR2's.  They are still available on Amazon.  The 120/180 set is $220 at your door.  I bought a set spring '21 - the date codes were around Oct, '20, so for me acceptable.  Made in Spain.   There are a few buyers that report old date codes - I guess that's the roll of the dice anytime buying tires on line.  At any rate - that is a smokin' deal on those.  I hope they're still around when I need them again. 

Well Michelin fans . . . I was stumbling through my Amazon account and saw the PR2's I bought last year.  I wondered . . . and clicked on them to see if they're still there.  Nope.  I don't see the vendor any longer.   Looks as though the PR2 availability is finally over.   😞   Strange, too as the date codes on the set I got were less than 6 months old at the time.  Unless that vendor re-surfaces in the spring, I don't know where to find them any longer.  It was a good run . . .

• Sad 1