Chain, Sprocket Replacement

HispanicSlammer

• Forum CEO

Change Your CHAIN and Sprockets

CHAIN01.JPG

I bought an RK gold x ring CHAIN and sprocket kit from AZ motor-sports for $140, the sprockets are OEM size and steel.

I decided that I was going to clean out all the gunk that has built up for the last 30k miles on my swing arm, CHAIN guides and whatever else needs cleaning.

CHAIN02.JPG

I took off my wheel and moved the exhaust out of the way.

CHAIN03.JPG

Loosen the 17mm pinch bolt

CHAIN04.JPG

I decided to take off the CHAIN guard so I can clean that too unscrew the 2 plastic fasteners and pull them out.

CHAIN05.JPG

CHAIN06.JPG

Remove the Hose stays, they bone shaped backers will fall out so be careful not to loose them 4 screws 2 places

Here is a tip - after you clean up your CHAIN guide use some tape to stick the bone shaped backers in place makes reinstalling much easier.

CHAIN07.JPG

Remove the 2 hex bolts and take off the CHAIN guide.

CHAIN08.JPG

I loosened the rear sprocket nuts

CHAIN09.JPG

Remove the 6 bolts that hold on the clutch slave and speed sensor to get to the front sprocket, make note of the which bolts go where, they are odd sizes.

CHAIN10.JPG

So thats what the speed sensor looks like, it just couples over the bolt on the sprocket.

CHAIN11.JPG

OH my God look at all that gunk! don't loose the dowel pins inside 2 of them.

CHAIN12.JPG

With the bike in 6th loosen the bolt, I forgot the size 14mm it think, its a normal bolt not reverse thread. WAY easier than those stupid Suzuki Hex bolt and nut combos.

I removed the metal CHAIN guide the crescent shaped plate with the holes in it and cleaned it up, and cleared all that gunk out of there, I just unbolted the swing-arm pivot axle and removed the sprocket and CHAIN intact.

CHAIN15.JPG

CHAIN16.JPG

CHAIN17.JPG

CHAIN13.JPG

I also have a CHAIN breaker that pushes out the pins but I did not use it since the kit CHAIN is the right length, its a pain to use.

CHAIN14.JPG

Here is the new stuff

CHAIN18.JPG

CHAIN19.JPG

Remove the rear sprocket now

CHAIN20.JPG

Sprocket comparison, definitely had signs of wear, its hard to spot but these sprockets would have killed my new CHAIN if I had not changed them out too.

CHAIN21.JPG

The front does not look worn at first glance

CHAIN22.JPG

look again

CHAIN23.JPG

I made a huge mess cleaned up all the gunk inside the sprocket well, the metal CHAIN guide, the CHAIN guard, the rubber CHAIN guide

CHAIN24.JPG

CHAIN25.JPG

I used my CHAIN press tool to press on the master link.

CHAIN27.JPG

Pressed on now it need to be peened out. don't forget to put the O-rings on first.

CHAIN29.JPG

Fit in a rivet peen on the CHAIN too and went at it

CHAIN30.JPG

CHAIN31.JPG

I measured the staked area 5.82mm (5.55-5.85 limit)

Replace everything and your good to go,

the front bolt 38ft/lbs the rear nuts 25ft/lbs

• Like 1

• 8 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Thanks so much for the right up ! I am in an area where I have access to a shop but do not have my shop manuals and I know that a chain is just a chain but seeing your pics are invaluable to me !!! Thanks again, David

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...