Fork clunking/knocking

Hi, I’ve recently developed knocking/clunking through the handle bars while riding down bumpy roads. I don’t feel it on smoother roads or even over large speed bumps. I’ve checked the head stock, no forward/backward clunk and no notching on the steering, also wheel bearing feels good. Is there anything else I should be checking before I send forks off to be re-built/serviced? Anybody upgraded fork internals, worth the money? 
many thanks 

clint 

• Member Contributer

I get a click/pop kind of sound on my 6th gen because a clip fell out of a piece of inner fairing plastic and it was contacting the fork when really compressed. I'd look for anything that might be loose and only touching the forks when compressed. 

• Member Contributer

I would inspect the secondary master cylinder on the fork leg.  Could be making some noise when it is not having any pressure applied to it.  The old school forks with TRAC would do that too on small bumps when not being activated / pressured by the braking force. 

• Member Contributer

Has the horn bracket come loose?

Upgrading fork internals is always a good idea on the 5th gen. I've got Racetech Gold Valves and uprated springs in mine, but I'm sure there are plenty of UK-based suppliers too. Setting the springing for your weight and putting in better quality damping will make for a calmer and faster ride on bumpy bends. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, after finally getting round to having a good look, I found that the steering head nut was hand tight, not good considering I rode round the TT for a week like this 🤦‍♂️  
Thankyou for all your suggestions 👍

Archived