New VFR rider in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

Jack000

Hello, new owner/rider from Cambodia. I’m actually originally from London, England and have lived out here for just over a decade. I rode out here from England on a BMW G650x, which I still own and also have a Honda Shadow 750 which I kind of inherited from a friend. But my first passion has always been sports-bikes and building Streetfighters.

Bikes are relatively hard to find out here but I’ve come across a Honda VTR750 (1997) for a good price. It’s not in running but is in excellent condition. This is a common issues out here, the ridiculous heat tends to turn the fuel in the carbs into glue and gums up the jets so I’m hoping that’s the problem. In any case, it’s cheap enough that I’m happy to take a chance on it.

I’m picking it up next weekend and will ship it from the coast back to the city.

My plan is to strip it down and build it into a pretty radical streetfighter.

So hello everyone and if anyone could give me any pointers about what to look for, I would appreciate it.

Hello and welcome to the site 🙂

Good luck with the VTR750. Hopefully you can get it running fairly cheaply.  I would personally (from experience) watch out for rust in the fuel tank, it is time consuming to resolve.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm hoping so too. I've had 7 bikes (so far) dead from sitting a few months in the heat. A round of carb cleaning has worked every time so I'm optimistic. I've had just about every configuration (except a straight 6, which I have no interest in owning and a Wankel) but never owned a V4 so I'm pretty keen to give this a go.

I'm going to be getting the tank painted (red to black) at some point but I'm planning to just ride her for a few months first, just for fun, while I plan what to do. Parts are expensive her but fabrication is dirt cheap so the sky is the limit.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to vfrd. Good luck with the build, there's a few nice examples of '90-'97 streetfighters on here. This is probably my favorite, I think it was a '93, not my work and I don't think the build thread is still available but gives you an idea of what can be done.

image.thumb.jpeg.5ec2f0785b369423e96190123c63f0d3.jpeg

• Member Contributer

That is absolutely lovely. I bet it made a serious track weapon. 

• Member Contributer

It was based on the RC36-2, 94 to 97.  Those are actually the stock headers.  I always liked that build too, except for the backwards Honda badges on the tank.  I think he claimed he did that on purpose.  Seem to remember that bike selling to somebody in Washington State perhaps, but I haven't seen mention of it lately.

• Member Contributer

The blue bike build post, I think. 

The blue bike is awesome. My bike should be getting delivered today after a very difficult weekend picking it up. I'm going to ride her for a while before I decide what to do.

• Member Contributer

Totally highjackign the thread, but I found some other builds I thought that folks might like. They may belong to listers. 

Too much red for me, and I dispise colored hoses, but the visual is excellent. 

Sounds lovely!

Ummmmm

Love the black frame. 

Archived