I am going to shut down vfrd soon

• Member Contributer
50 minutes ago, flya750 said:

Management of this site can't be that difficult?

It seems to me we could find an IT Guy/ VFR lover who would/could take over the site?

Management of this site can't be that difficult?
It is and isn't. It's sporadic. Easy until there's major upgrades or alterations then it takes time and effort. A lot of the day to day work is that of the moderators.

Having such a large database also makes certain things a little more time consuming or difficult to plan for. It's not the smallest website in the world, but far from the largest.

It seems to me we could find an IT Guy/ VFR lover who would/could take over the site?
I have made a proposal to do such a thing (scroll up to read the full text). Miguel is going to reach out when they are able to discuss.

So fingers crossed we may be able to keep things going.

• Like 8

• Member Contributer

I volunteer to mod to get rid of spam accounts if that'll help. I know Seb usually does it. I just know that when I get to work (5a EST) and hop on here, I always see the spam and start reporting lol. I'm not sure how much it'd help but I'd be willing to do that easy peasy. I only just got here a few months ago but this place has been invaluable to helping me get my new-to-me VFR sorted out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

I'd be more than willing to spit up a monthly fee to keep this knowledge base memorialized.

How's that archiving going? 

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

Hi @HispanicSlammer

I am very sad to learn this, although I understand you and would like to thank you very very much for your years of dedication to this forum.

I myself am not a "computer guy", but please there must be someone out there with knowledge to keep VFRD alive.

It will be a shame if such a forum compiling years of expertise and information, being able to achieve great deeds like the performance headers, will indeed come to an end.

If having an annual mandatory fee, let's say €20 for instance, could help another person out there to reach out to @HispanicSlammer and keep on his amazing work, do sign me in. 

How many are we here, 200 guys, that's €4k per year, would that be enough?

Let's not let this forum die pleaseeeeeeee someone out there are you reading this 😅

• Like 4

• Member Contributer

I see the cert has lapsed, so if there is going to be a change of admin/ownership it needs to happen soon. 

Happy to donate if the site will continue.

Here's hoping 👍

• Like 6

• Member Contributer

Wow... I don't come on much anymore, really haven't been riding much through COVID or since.

Thanks Miguel for hosting such a great site over the years.

If someone else is able to take over and save it, that would be swell.  If not, I certainly can't complain, this site has been a wealth of knowledge... its the reason I bought my 02 VFR when I was ready to move on from my first bike, 05 Ninja 500.  I definitely got more involved and interested in motorcycling as a whole due to this site, and in the early years of owning my VFR I used to ride a lot.

Great to chat with and learn from so many of you.  Thanks to the great folks who sell their used parts on here from time to time; I've purchased from many members and never had an issue, all smooth transactions.  

Hope it continues, if not, see you folks on the other side.  Keep it between the ditches.

2012, shortly after purchase:

IMG577.jpg.de8d492c0267af318c9d2968f0f74f75.jpg

As it sits today.  Thanks to YOUR info & help.  Damn I love this bike, even if I don't ride it much anymore.

vfr.thumb.jpg.f599aedef046ed5ac973e5207331dfce.jpg

And the 99 I bought to refurbish, also because of you guys 😄  Problem is, this is still sitting in my garage untouched 2 years later... how will I ever get the inspiration & knowledge to complete the task if VFRD goes away?  Hmmm...

20210814_121027.thumb.jpg.25ad4a33054cfd53e6cd09b4cfb12f0e.jpg

• Like 8

• Member Contributer

Miguel,

I'll add my voice to the chorus of thank you's for all you've done for the site and the members.  I've benefitted immensely over the last decade.  I hope the site gets a new life somewhere and if so you can hang out as a member.

To those members with the wherewithal and knowledge to save the site, please count me in for financial support, or anything else I can do to keep this going.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Thanks to you Miguel VFRD is unquestionable an outstanding site... The
membership you have attracted is of the highest expertise... they know
how to multiply V4 pleasure and divided V4 grief... It is indeed a joy
to express an appreciation on behalf of that membership as well as my
personal gratitude for your passion and participation... you will be
missed my friend...

HispanicSlammerLarryBubbas.JPG

HispanicSlammerBeltSprocket .jpg

MrRC45HispanicSlammer.JPG

Picture251.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Whoever is performing the archive, I am more than willing to setup a NAS at home to host an offsite backup image/mirror.

DM me. I've dabbled in computer networking before, and I could make it so. 
--- 

EDIT: I may be able to use this FOSS tool called "HTTrack" and make my own mirror of the site.
- I'll determine the size of the download, and I'll be off to buy a buncha hard drives.
- I'll likely perform the task within a VM so I can work the process in tandem. I dont have many CPU cores, but It may help
++
If anybody has an ET for the hard sunset of the site, PLEASE let me know so I can gage how much time is remaining to get this done. It will accelerate my decisions.

• Like 1

Awww man I'd just finished rebuilding my 750 and wanted to come on and say "I've made threads before where I describe how guilty I've felt about letting the 750 sit in the shed but, hey, look at now, it's ready to ride!!!"

21 years is an amazing run and this place has been really good to me, even if I wouldn't necessarily consider myself a "regular" in that I pop in the odd time for a look, ask for advice, give advice, admire the photos, admire the layout of the place too! 

As my bio says I'm in Cork, Ireland and was visiting Atlanta before for some work stuff. I posted up on here to see were there are VFRD members in that area who would like to meet up and, lo and behold, I actually ended up having a burger in The Vortex with a member from here (who's name I now can't recall). There was a sense of community, still is I think. 

Thanks to @HispanicSlammer for keeping it going for so long. I really hope that @thtanner can continue your great work and keep this fantastic resource online for those of us with discerning motorcycle tastes!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Ughandi said:

Whoever is performing the archive, I am more than willing to setup a NAS at home to host an offsite backup image/mirror.

DM me. I've dabbled in computer networking before, and I could make it so. 
--- 

EDIT: I may be able to use this FOSS tool called "HTTrack" and make my own mirror of the site.
- I'll determine the size of the download, and I'll be off to buy a buncha hard drives.
- I'll likely perform the task within a VM so I can work the process in tandem. I dont have many CPU cores, but It may help
++
If anybody has an ET for the hard sunset of the site, PLEASE let me know so I can gage how much time is remaining to get this done. It will accelerate my decisions.

There should be no need to bog down the poor web server with HTTrack. I am not archiving the site, but going to push to just continue it as is.

I'd hold off on doing such things unless we're unable to keep things going. Those crawlers really spike CPU and Disk IO.

• Like 3

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Man, the cert expires and a tumbleweed rolls thru VFRDeadwood.

Popups saying the site might be out to eat your family can't be trusted don't exactly instill confidence in visitors, I'm sure. 

• Member Contributer

I've stayed off of it for that reason. 

Any word on if there will be a download or way to keep the site active? 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
59 minutes ago, bmart said:

I've stayed off of it for that reason.

Yet, here you are.  So....   Thursdays are "safe" days?  😉

• Haha 1

• Member Contributer

I got an e-mail from the forum. "Man, the cert expires and a tumbleweed rolls thru VFRDeadwood."

"Dead things go down river, mother." I poked my head in. 

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

So...what happened? A few days of "Safari can't find this page" then VFRD life as normal.

thtanner, have you stepped into the gap?

• Member Contributer

Well, activity sure has slumped...  I do hope VFRD can be rescued!

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

So...what happened? A few days of "Safari can't find this page" then VFRD life as normal.

thtanner, have you stepped into the gap?

Nothing has changed as of yet; the certificate is still expired. Some browsers will ignore it after a certain period of time (still will show Not Secure in the address bar) and load the site without prompting. 

I'm currently in a holding pattern waiting for contact back. 

• Member Contributer
45 minutes ago, thtanner said:

Nothing has changed as of yet; the certificate is still expired. Some browsers will ignore it after a certain period of time (still will show Not Secure in the address bar) and load the site without prompting. 

I'm currently in a holding pattern waiting for contact back. 

Happy to lend a hand if needed. Currently IT management, meaning a long time since hands on servers/db, but willing to make calls, review contracts, fundraise or whatever you need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can also help with things like data migrations etc.

Working in IT (system administration, now DevOps) for last 12 years or so

I found lots of useful knowledge here so I think it would be a shame to let it disappear. 

• Thanks 1

C'mon Miguel. This is a truly great site.

Multiple people want to keep it going.

Please let them.  You will always be the founding father. 👍

• Like 2