I am going to shut down vfrd soon

• Member Contributer

This is sad news indeed.

I just parted with my '99 but spent much time here gaining valuable information. Thanks for putting the time and effort in Miguel.

BTW...I passed it on to my son.

Dragon 2 - Copy (2).jpg

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Miguel

Do let us know if the cash box is empty and there are still liabilities (to come).

• Like 5

• Member Contributer
On 5/26/2023 at 3:45 AM, Northesk said:

I've been mostly a lurker on here, but I am sad to hear that VFRD is to meet its end soon.

I don't know whether this suggestion may be helpful, but maybe a Discord server could be an option for those who want to share VFR tips, builds, advice and that sort of thing? I've found this forum to be the best in how it's all laid out and easy to navigate, so I was hoping that maybe an idea is to transplant that over to Discord?

YES! This is the best VFR forum with a good layout and the friendliest and most helpful members!   😢that it is ending.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, DannoXYZ said:

. I've PMed Miguel and volunteered to keep this site going

3 cheers for DannoXYZ! Hope your generous proposal works out. I bet we are all rooting for ya.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, monstar said:

Hate to say it's like a library building on fire! Save the books, save the knowledge!

Perfectly said!

• Member Contributer

And as Dutchy said earlier, if there are current or future liabilities (IE: more cash needed) let us all know. 

I was looking around the other VFR site today and it's clear we really do need to keep this one going....

• Like 4

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Not in my world.  FUCK FB.

Facebook can be a blessing and curse. Depending on how you use it. Like it or not, it’s a place that we can keep VFRD alive. I’m not ready to let go of this awesomeness yet.

• Member Contributer

Just saw this. I will echo the comments of everyone in VFRD. This has been a terrific site with many wonderful people and a monumental source of knowledge. Miguel, you have done a fantastic job, but I truly understand your emotions. I have personally met you four or five times over the years at the VFRD Spring Memorial ride (formerly TEXASMAC) in Franklin, NC. Last year, we got to ride together and had lunch at the Tapoca Lodge. It has been a pleasure my friend. 

I hope this site can continue here or on some other medium. I have met many wonderful people through this site since 2009.

I fully understand your feeling that it may be time to move on to something else. I am turning 70 in August of this year and realizing that maybe I should spend more time going slower on the bicycle on the bike trails.

Best wishes to you. Hopefully, we cross paths in the future. I will buy dinner.

Sincerely,

Bill Mersch, aka MisterBill

• Like 3

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

Ahem... lol 

Screenshot_20230527_172137_Chrome.jpg

In true American fashon....

"The counting was RIGGED!!!"    :unclesam:

Nah, I mistook posts with likes statistics or so. My bad.   That can be only one and that is Sebspeed.. HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Next week we will fly to SFO and pick up a 30ft camper for 3 weeks in support of the US economy :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

Ahem... lol 

Screenshot_20230527_172137_Chrome.jpg

Only cause I stepped out for ten years *cough cough* 🤪

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Having been here since ca. 2007,  and lurking for longer, this site has inspired and motivated me to try things outside of my mechanical comfort zone. I learnt so much from many people whom were happy to share their knowledge, there are too many to name but they know who they are. I truly thank them. 

Thanks Slammer for the all effort you've put in to this great site.

It has and always will be the best VFR site the world has ever seen! 

So IT wizards, how do I download years of information as a back-up for when I need it? Or being able to pass it on to someone who needs it?

• Like 4

"All good things ..."

Thanks for providing VFRDiscussion to the world and operating it for so long. Congratulations on rediscovering the joy of motorcycling - even with something else. My VFR and me have been together for more than thirty years so I foresee a crisis when one of us eventually give up. I have not been around here so long so I have mostly found entertainment by reading the contents.

So a big thanks to all you posters for sharing your stories.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

I guess it is true that all good things must come to an end

I just got into restoration of the VFR’s a few years ago and without this site and it’s members I would have had a lot harder time figuring out problem areas. I hope there is some way it can move on to a new chapter, if in the end it fades away it will be remembered by a great many around the world as the site that saved a lot of VFR’s from being rust buckets behind a shed somewhere.

long live the VFR.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Dutchy said:

In true American fashon....

Next week we will fly to SFO and pick up a 30ft camper for 3 weeks in support of the US economy :laugh:

VFRD has soo much more to give! Making popcorn now.

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

Hispanicslammer, What you have done for the VFR community has been great & we applaud you for it. All good things must come to an end & if we can't find someone to replace you as super admin & take over & move the site, then so be it & thanks for all the fish 👍👍👍😁

• Like 3

Sad to hear, this place has been one of if not the best automotive site on the net.

I took The Phantom off the road in 2003, joined here in 2005 (after 7 years on the Big List) and The Phantom is still not back on the road 😆

But in that time have acquired three more VFRs, one of which does actually get ridden.

Thanks Miguel and everyone else for everything... I'm Murray Duncan on the FB groups.

• Like 2

HispanicSlammer,

As has been said countless times on this thread, THANK YOU, for all the blood, sweat, and likely tears that you’ve put into this site. I am a member of some other threads (motorcycles and car models), but nothing comes close to the professionalism, comprehensiveness and world wide reach of VFRD.  

I’ve been a member since 2006, after reading an article in one of the moto rags that mentioned VFRD.  I still hit the site almost every day, looking for the endless nuggets of wisdom that are here.  

I totally under stand moving on, it happens to all of us.  All that said, you should be justifiably proud of what you’ve created here.  It is truly one of a kind and will be missed, but not forgotten. 

• Like 2

Sorry to hear it Miguel. I have been a member here a long time, but not as active the last years. It's a great site. Hopefully someone else can take over running it. Good luck whatever you do.

• Like 2

At the risk of getting flamed, maybe you should sell to VerticalScope or someone like that, Miguel.

Cash in your chips instead of just walking, but the site could live on.

Worked for the founder of Ducati.ms, which is still a good site I may add. 👍

• Like 1

Uh wow... vertical scope bought custom fighters and there it sits... I mean, you better get a pretty penny for that purchase... sorry slamm. I get it. My bikes are all covered in 4 years of dust because of grandkids and work... glws

• Member Contributer

Just want to jump on the bandwagon and say thanks, HS, for all your work in creating and maintaining this special community over the years.  I used VFRD to research my purchase in 2010 and went to my first ever motorcycle rally in Nelson in 2011, then Montrose in 2012.  I'm glad I had the chance to thank you in person then (and again in Montrose in 2015).

I understand wanting to change, and wish you the best with the KTM.

Covid torpedoed my riding for the past three summers, but I'm hoping to get back on the road (with the VFR) this summer.

As for the site, selfishly I hope someone who knows how to run things will step in and carry on your legacy.  I enjoy reading ride reports, and this site has been a tremendous resource for all things VFR (mechanical, parts, tires, add-ons--and oil!).

As a nice lady in a small town gas station in Oregon once said to me (there was a Harley parked around the back): "May you never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!"

• Like 1