I am going to shut down vfrd soon

• Forum CEO

I have notice that will require a major update, and a  renewal of certificates, more license fees.

It's going to be a lot of work and frankly my interest have moved on. 

Last year we did not meet the goal, keeping vfrd going has been a lot of work over the last 21 years but I think it is time I moved on. It was a passion and not a business. My goal was never to make money, I did it because I loved vfrs. But over the years I became less and less interested in riding. 

I even almost stopped riding. I bought a second bike and renewed my love of motorcycles a couple of years ago, with a smaller lighter bike.

Every time I got on my vfr, my neck, knees, back and well it hurt. So I sold the vfr a couple of weeks ago for a more upright bike.  2020 ktm 1290 gt. I had 89k miles on the veefalo, I got the best miles out of her. But it's time to move on. 

Honda has..

Thanks for all the friends, good times, rallys, meet ups, Frankenstein vfrs, turbo builds, tire and oil posts. 

I just don't want to do this anymore. I will keep it going until the certificate expires. All good thing must come to an end. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Sad 5

• Member Contributer

What a priceless service to the VFR community VFRD has been - thanks Miguel for building a community and for carrying the immense workload of maintaining this site.  I wish you well...sad to see you go, but totally understand.  

• Like 4

• Member Contributer

As a newcomer to this service, I just want to say a heartfelt thankyou for all the advice, sharing of expertise and camaraderie of the VFR community. You have done us proud Miquel ( if I may take that liberty). Well done and best wishes; Dan

Is there any way we could transport content to another platform? I confess to being a complete luddite for tech stuff

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Thank you for providing this platform for us all to enjoy over the years, it has been awesome, thank you thank you thank you! I wish you all the best! 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Thank you for all of your hard work and time maintaining a great platform.  I joined in November 2005...   almost 20 years ago!  I learned a bunch and passed on some knowledge too.  Exactly what makes these forums great.

Enjoy life and thanks again.

-Mike

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Thank you Miguel. Never met but you have helped me many times. Fixing a block that was because I went on your site through SW Airlines for example. You probably spent a half hour helping me solve the issue. Amazing.

When I moved to CA nine years ago it was through VFRD that I rode with BrianF, JeffyJeff, RC1237V and the gang of NorCal hooligans.

I perfectly understand your decision, shame you had buy that little KTM GT scooter.  😁  Best wishes.

And thanks for making the connection for times like this:

IMG_2321.JPG

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Oh noooo.... but I get it... kinda panicking..... I get on here  3 or 4 times a day... 

Mbe you peeps dare I say jump over to VFRW?

• Member Contributer

Fully understand where you're coming from Miguel, can't thank you enough for all your efforts in running VFRD. It's a sad sad day for VFRD and its core members, a huge melting pot of knowledge, experience, and information I've been so grateful for. To all the wonderful members out there, cheers, good health, and safe riding:sad:

20230526_140400.jpg

• Like 7

• Member Contributer

Thank you, Miguel, for creating such a vibrant place for us to hang out. If we ever cross paths - stranger things have happened - I'll sport you a free beverage of your choice.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the heads-up Miguel, and for the effort that you have put into keeping the site going. As others have said, I have "met" some great folks here over the years and gleaned much useful or just entertaining stuff. Enjoy your inferior orange motorcycle!😁

IMG_3622.JPG

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

Thank you for doing this for us for so long. 

Is there any chance to get a download of all of it? I use it often to search fro solutions...or problems. 

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

Thank you Miguel, and all the mods, for all the work the last 17 years I've been hanging out here. I've met a few of you over the years and hopefully we'll meet again. Safe journeys everyone.

'09 Dillon Summit

image.jpeg.37eb960a4d4250ccb8e32a4fd4afc35c.jpegimage.jpeg.28afef126f348fc1c258188c15941108.jpeg

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

Miguel, so sorry to hear this but absolutely understand. 

3 hours ago, bmart said:

Is there any chance to get a download of all of it? I use it often to search fro solutions...or problems. 

I'm so sad to hear this website will shut down. In 2 years I've owned a veefer I've come to know just about everything about it, mostly through this website.

A quick google search and I've found a way to archive all of this knowledge that has been shared through this website and it's downloading as I'm writing this. HTTrack can download all of the webpages from a domain.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the fish Miguel!!

I have truly enjoyed my experience here in vfrd and on Facebook. Wonder if vfrworld can help you? Speak to Anne Marie from VFR world maybe she can find someone to carry the torch.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, bmart said:

I hope so

I've been mostly a lurker on here, but I am sad to hear that VFRD is to meet its end soon.

I don't know whether this suggestion may be helpful, but maybe a Discord server could be an option for those who want to share VFR tips, builds, advice and that sort of thing? I've found this forum to be the best in how it's all laid out and easy to navigate, so I was hoping that maybe an idea is to transplant that over to Discord?

• Member Contributer

I'll echo the same sentiment most have.

Thanks for being the steward as long as you have.  I've met some tremendous people through this forum, and have you to thank for it.  

Onward!

• Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, HispanicSlammer said:

It's over 1000 gigs hence the difficulty in moving to another server. 

What would make it doable though? A TB doesn't sound like a lot in terms of today's storage even if moving that between servers would be a chore. 

• Member Contributer

I would have never met so many cool, knowledge people w/o VFRd.

Most folks don't keep a job for 21 years now a days, let alone run a server for which the passion has faded.

Congratulations HS, and thank you.

• Like 1