2001 VFR 5th Generation Buying Advice

Evening All, 

Newbie here looking for some specific buying advice.

Recently found a 2001 Blue VFR800FI local to myself with around 8000 miles on the clock, bike looks to be in immaculate condition and runs without issue, however, the bike was sat for a period of 10 years between 2012 and 2022. The bike has been running for around 1000 miles after this period off the road without issue. Any specific issues to look at, I am going to view it this Saturday. 

Look forward to reading the responses. 

• Member Contributer

Inspect fuel tank for rust and methinks you could do with a good injector cleaning, send them to a cleaning service who will give you a before and after flow report.  You'll have to change all the fluids.... tires may be beyond their best before date....... chain and sprockets won't be worn, but check chain is not rusty and has stiff spots.

• Member Contributer

Its good that the bike has done 1000 miles since it was re-animated from the long sleep, that would give me confidence that there were few nasty surprises lurking. Rayzerman makes some very good points, I'd add that it is most important to check that the secondary master cylinder on the left fork leg moves freely (should move just a few mm) and applies the back brake when you push the left calliper forward. Also check that the rear wheel spins freely with the brakes off. The SMC can get blocked or seize and at best that just overheats the rear disc, at worst it locks the wheel solid.

• Member Contributer

Corrosion never rests, especially with electrical connections. Disconnect, inspect, and clean all the connectors you can find. Repair as need be. Download the service manual to find all the service data you'll need. 

• Member Contributer

I'd suggest you look into a VFRness from wire-my-bike. And get an up-to-date R/R.

• Member Contributer

Electronics, as mentioned, particularly the charging system including wiring and connectors. 

Bikes have rubber on them and rubber ages. Check hoses (should be supple), tires (should be under 5-ish years old and not have dry rot/hardness to touch/fingernails), etc. 

Thank you to all of those that have read and responded to my post, I feel a lot more confident about what to keep an eye out for. 

I shall let you know how tomorrow turns out. 

Stay tuned 🙂 

Archived