VFRD 2023 Fall Ride

TheJay

• Member Contributer

The Fall Ride dates are Sept. 21-24. After looking at several different locations and accommodations I've settled on Abingdon, VA. I based this on the variety of roads in the area and restaurants. I'm still working on the hotel, (I'm going to take a ride up and scout a couple out), but I wanted to go ahead and put the dates out so y'all can plan accordingly. Stay tuned......

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Will there be a way to stay in touch about this rally if the site is G-O-N gone? 

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, bmart said:

Will there be a way to stay in touch about this rally if the site is G-O-N gone? 

There’s the Facebook group. It will remain active.

• Member Contributer

Not sure how long this will be up, but the hotel will be Alpine Motel
(276) 628-3178

https://maps.app.goo.gl/XrFBYsDWNZSyqh1w9?g_st=ic

No group rates, no need to specify that you’re with Vfrd, just book it. 

I stayed there and it’s a very nice little independent place. Rooms have been updated and I think it’ll be a good spot for us.

• Member Contributer

Thank you. I'd hate to show up if it were cancelled or moved. 🎯

• 2 months later...

This event is still on for those of you not on FB. Just over a month out now. Rumor has it that I won't be the only one from Alabama this year. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Whew!  Back from the Fall Ride - excellent time.  Highly recommend going if you are at all on the fence about attending.

Able to stitch together a few videos for your viewing enjoyment - these are just some of the roads...

Start of day run - temp in the 50s (F) so the pace shows the rider, tires and road cold condition plus is was a recce run for the road condition.  Yeah, yeah, excuses, excuses.

We get to watch Sweeper demonstrate his skills, finally!

The one below is from the Spring Ride but since The Snake is North of Asheville it kind of belongs in this collection

Enjoy watching.

Cheers,

VFRpwr

• Like 2

It was an awesome week of riding! We had seven for the PreRide out of Little Switzerland and then eighteen for the FallRide in Abingdon. Thursday, we all were awaiting the arrival of three VFR's but one had an electrical failure mid route (what are the odds?). They arrived well after dark with the backup ST1300. We missed a few of the regulars but the turn out was good and what an excellent group to hang out and ride with! I've said it many times, VFRD is loaded with great people. I left my GoPro at home so there is no video from me this time. I'll do better this spring with a new camera mount and better editing...maybe.

• Like 2

And... I hate being on camera! I tend to ride the struggle bus on fast downhills and really appreciate the camera bike insisting on staying behind.😀

• Haha 1

Awesome videos - thanks for sharing them here! 🙂

Seeing those really makes me miss riding in the mountains, something I've not done yet this year.  But also, NC226A reminds me very much of most of the roads I hit regularly in SE Ohio.  Gravel driveways, pavement imperfections, etc.  It's a more technical road than many in that corner of Ohio, but the challenges are similar.

I'm glad the turnout was good.  I wish I'd been able to attend.  Maybe next year!

1 hour ago, vfrgiving said:

On Sunday I stopped by the general store in Shady Valley for a bit on my trek back.  There were plenty of bikes but didn't see any other VFRs.

We all left for home on Sunday but there were a couple of VFR's and an ST1300 heading that way on their way home. 

8 hours ago, bmart said:

I wish that I knew it was actually happening! I was out there. 🙂

Sorry that I missed your post. I was already up there riding. I'll look for you again in May.