Is It the Battery?

Skids

• Member Contributer

Evenin' all, had an issue with my 2014 VFR1200F this morning.

She sits in the garage over the winter on a battery tender (Optimate) and gets an occasional outing when the weather is not crap. I last rode her a few weeks ago and all seemed fine.

Decided to give her a run this morning, started up fine but then realised I'd forgotten something in the house so switched her off and went to get it. Came back, pressed starter button and she laboured to turn over, let alone start. Ignition OFF/ON and tried again, even worse, barely turned over. As I was in a rush for work, I plugged her back into the Optimate and took my usual VFR800X instead.

Got back this evening and tried again. Started fine 6 times, though sounded like it was progressively struggling but on the 7th attempt same as this morning, struggled to turn the engine over and no start.

So that sounds like a battery to me (it's 9 years old OEM) but thought I'd check with the Guru's before forking out hard earned dosh on a replacement and see if I should do some other checks first.

Thoughts? :beer:

• Member Contributer

Hi Skids.

You've done well for 9 years out of the original. Lucky it happened at home!

Give it a charge then get it load checked at any good automotive parts store.

I'm surprised you managed to squeeze another 6 starts out of it in the evening. That would probably suck the life out of any battery without a charge in between! 

Batteries can do strange things, my original 2014 battery started doing similar things to yours and died after 7 years, it had a rated CCA of 210 but when load tested could only achieve 99cca. And of course, fitting a new battery solved my issues.

If in doubt chuck it out! Especially with a VFR1200.

• Member Contributer

Thanks.

I'll look for a load checking place this weekend but probably just order new one anyway...off to Northern Spain (Picos) end of June so needs to be 100%. 

:beer:

Archived