Vfr750fv 1997 fuel pump drips fuel from bypass

Pumps are fairly cheap too. Facet solid state ones, low pressure, are considered very good but you can always run without a pump too (just keep the tank above half full).

• 1 month later...

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "bypass" as they don't have one...If you mean the plastic top that's where the "points" live. 

If it's leaking (same happened with mine) then it's dead, bin it and replace. 

They are fantastically reliable normally with the only thing that typically goes being the points (which can be replaced). 

You can get cheap Chinese aftermarket ones that are meant to be a direct fit but beware that they're often wired up wrong (either wires transposed or even the diode in them the wrong way round), can be very noisy and occasionally catch fire! 

I would suggest either a second hand original (with replacement points if required) or fit something else entirely, Facet or similar. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Andy72210 said:

What would work well?

A quality fuel pump designed for that bike would work great.

K&L and TourMax both offer Genuine Mitsubishi pumps identical to what came on the bike.  Not cheap, but correct.

Here's what I do.  Take a look at this application chart from K&L

replacement-fuel-pumps_App(1).pdf

18-5529 is the correct style.  Now look at the models that take that exact same pump.  I go to ebay and find the lowest mile, cleanest example that has a return policy.

I got this Mitsu pump from a YZF600 with 14K miles. 

PXL_20230720_2350045811.thumb.jpg.5e9b754cce68981e65c68bbd81e92adf.jpg

It looks brand new and has the correct plug.  Works perfectly...   $30 shipped.  And if it didn't, I could have returned it.  I also usually get a bunch of really nice formed fuel line and clamps with them too.  The one dud I got, they just instantly refunded me.  And again, I got a bunch of expensive formed fuel line to use on projects for free for my "troubles".

• Member Contributer

Not sure about your bike, but Many of the Honda pumps are the same with only different lengths of wire on them. I needed one for my old CB-1 and just ordered a new(er) one from a cruiser and lengthened the wires. 

• Member Contributer
38 minutes ago, bmart said:

Not sure about your bike, but Many of the Honda pumps are the same with only different lengths of wire on them. I needed one for my old CB-1 and just ordered a new(er) one from a cruiser and lengthened the wires. 

^+1 

I am sure about his bike and that's exactly what I'm talking about.

• Member Contributer

Forgot to post a few pics on the CB-1 bits to be clear. 

Previous owner took the dead pump off and tried gravity feed, which doesn't work. I put a proper used pump on for a while, then discovered that many pumps would work...even the connector is the same, but on shorter wires. An extender with a plug on each end would also work. I soldered.

20210414_173121.thumb.jpg.80da743be761857d8cdbc0f426a738ab.jpg

20210414_174735.thumb.jpg.da95eddbdbbe4dbded9834009b10c760.jpg

The rest of the plumbing is from stainless beer making parts...because Honda parts are NLA. It CAN be done!

20200508_183248sm.thumb.jpg.fedcef9c8d76b43de77cc10792a7dcbc.jpg

20200508_193220sm.thumb.jpg.5390720d4132a1759c626e1165ec78d6.jpg

8 hours ago, bmart said:

Forgot to post a few pics on the CB-1 bits to be clear. 

Previous owner took the dead pump off and tried gravity feed, which doesn't work. I put a proper used pump on for a while, then discovered that many pumps would work...even the connector is the same, but on shorter wires. An extender with a plug on each end would also work. I soldered.

20210414_173121.thumb.jpg.80da743be761857d8cdbc0f426a738ab.jpg

20210414_174735.thumb.jpg.da95eddbdbbe4dbded9834009b10c760.jpg

The rest of the plumbing is from stainless beer making parts...because Honda parts are NLA. It CAN be done!

20200508_183248sm.thumb.jpg.fedcef9c8d76b43de77cc10792a7dcbc.jpg

20200508_193220sm.thumb.jpg.5390720d4132a1759c626e1165ec78d6.jpg

So, what "other plumbing" was needed? That looks like a direct bolt-on for the 4th Gen VFRs?

• Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, Andy72210 said:

So, what "other plumbing" was needed? That looks like a direct bolt-on for the 4th Gen VFRs?

There's no other plumbing needed.  He was just relaying what he did for the CB-1 that has unique challenges regarding placement and plumbing.

"Bolt on" and go.  It is the exact same pump if you source the correct configuration.  Some pumps have a nipple vent/weep (like his) instead of the channel, so pay attention as there could be fitment issues that result.  The connector is right there, so just about any original lead length will work too.

Thanks Cap. Good info about your Ebay find...may go that route. Other sellers are a bit pricey & w/o guarantees.

I found a Facet pump that may work with mild mods of the mounting/routing. I was thinking 90deg barbs on either side & vertical mounting. That should point the fuel lines towards the front.  Horizontal mounting might work under the seat? Now to figure out how to frame mount, and whether I'd need to isolate it from vibrations?

It flows 1.5-4psi with 10gal/hr @ 1.5psi.  No siphon valve, but it does have a backflow check valve.  It has no points or diaphragms to go bad either. 

Might be a permanent fix...and about $65 including parts. Could get similar with 4-7psi for same price?

image.jpeg.062a98bd83e1e0781eefba204a1d6e88.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Seems like an option if there wasn't a bunch of correct, bolt on, reasonably priced, reliable replacements available.

Seems like a no-brainer to me, but go for it.  Might be a nice project.

On 7/20/2023 at 4:54 PM, Captain 80s said:

A quality fuel pump designed for that bike would work great.

K&L and TourMax both offer Genuine Mitsubishi pumps identical to what came on the bike.  Not cheap, but correct.

Here's what I do.  Take a look at this application chart from K&L

replacement-fuel-pumps_App(1).pdf 1.18 MB · 3 downloads

18-5529 is the correct style.  Now look at the models that take that exact same pump.  I go to ebay and find the lowest mile, cleanest example that has a return policy.

I got this Mitsu pump from a YZF600 with 14K miles. 

PXL_20230720_2350045811.thumb.jpg.5e9b754cce68981e65c68bbd81e92adf.jpg

It looks brand new and has the correct plug.  Works perfectly...   $30 shipped.  And if it didn't, I could have returned it.  I also usually get a bunch of really nice formed fuel line and clamps with them too.  The one dud I got, they just instantly refunded me.  And again, I got a bunch of expensive formed fuel line to use on projects for free for my "troubles".

^ Remember this post. ^

The  K & L PUMP IS the way to go. Especially if you are replacing, yah may as well spend the coin for reliability. 

• Member Contributer

I had a Facet solid state pump on my bike for a bit, but the plumbing and mounting aren't as easy as fitting an OEM-type pump.  Most of those Facets generate too much pressure, but there is one version which matches.

I second the stainless beer line parts idea.  Love those u-bends.  Lifesaver!

Ciao,

JZH

On 7/22/2023 at 9:40 AM, 3rdgenred said:

^ Remember this post. ^

The  K & L PUMP IS the way to go. Especially if you are replacing, yah may as well spend the coin for reliability. 

3rdGen...but reliability is an issue on the OEM pumps?

A Facet has no points/seals & is solid state...will probably last the life of the motor... 😏

• Member Contributer

The first pump lasted 25 years.  I have pumps that are 35+ years old that I have never had to touch that still work fine, but I am replacing for preventative maintenance.  

Everything can have an issue, but I personally don't have a problem calling that a reliable part and design. 

If your definition is different and you want a little project, then go for it already

I bought one of those cheap Chinese ones a while back (well, the ebay seller said it was coming from the UK but when it arrived it was clear it came from China). One of them failed and was replaced, the replacement has been on the bike for about 8 years now. 

It is noisier than the original (one which I had replaced the points a while back but between a house move and stuff I lost it whilst it was off the bike). It works fine though. 

Archived