6th Gen Engine Won't Keep Running

emhyrkaemor

Greetings everyone!

I've been having this issue this morning. The bike was perfectly running yesterday, High/low revs all good...

I was wondering if anyone could help me solve what the issue is. I can't figure out which FI code it's trying to tell me...

Info:
Got the bike from the first owner, it's a 2005. He only installed a complete LeoVince Exhaust System when he got the bike from the dealer, He was a 55 year old retired banker, he did all the maintenances at the best shop in the country. They only did a grounding thing with the wires back in  08-07. 3 months ago I had the stator re-wired by the same shop the bike's been going since 2005. Installed a K&N Air filter a month ago.  Everything was normal until this morning. I put the key in, turn it: then I hear the deep injection/fuel pump sound and the ticking noise. When I hit the ignition it turns on as long as I'm holding the ignition button down. When I release it, engine kills itself. All 4 hazard lights are non and they are not blinking, just straight lights. Playing with the engine switch does nothing at all...

Sincerely...

• Member Contributer

Looks like you have the classic Green Ground wire fault at the Blue connector symptoms.

The buzzing will be the front relays chattering due to insufficient voltage or current flow, because of the poor Ground to most of the front devices.

To make things easier it's only the forward section of the Blue Connector Green wire that needs the additional Ground, or just do as per the image provided.

There is most likely a very sick high resistance contact within the Blue connector for the Green Ground wire. Separate the Blue connector and check the pins and sockets for the Green wire, you will most likely see evidence of the issue!

You could also just cut the Green wire at the front end of the Blue connector and neatly join and sleeve a wire then properly Ground it. See how that goes.

Bottom line is the ground wire forward of the Blue connector needs a good Ground. Choice is yours how you provide it.

Good luck.

IMG_0591.JPG

Thanks for the reply, didn't have the time to get back to you. I removed the fairing and checked the grounding just to see that it was already fixed... The weird thing is; I opened it up and saw it was fixed already, then I tried to ignite the engine to see whether I could read voltages or so... And it just started running like before... Any ideas why or how...?

• Member Contributer

Your fault is very typically a poor ground to the relays etc. all at the front of your bike. It sounds like an intermittent issue.

Thoroughly check that the Ground repair is good. Make sure that the Green wire forward of the Blue connector IS properly Grounded back to the Battery Negative terminal, not just frame! Measure zero ohms back to the battery Negative.

With Ignition to on move the wire harness near the Blue connector and forward of the Blue connector, see if you can induce the buzzing effect.

Post some photos of the repair etc. If you can.

Seeing your H.I.S.S. light and Fi light are being affected points to the ESR (Engine Stop Relay) that is killing your engine. So that could possibly point to a faulty BAS or its ground Or low voltage on the Black wire to the ESR or possibly a faulty ESR.

Question - During the fault situation are your headlights working normally?

I took it to the shop and they checked for the grounding and the battery, and told me that everything was alright. And no, the headlights were barely lit during the fault. Also today, When I turn the handebars to the right; the headlights go off. I'm starting to think this not-starting issue might be related to my headlight cables...

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, emhyrkaemor said:

I took it to the shop and they checked for the grounding and the battery, and told me that everything was alright. And no, the headlights were barely lit during the fault. Also today, When I turn the handebars to the right; the headlights go off. I'm starting to think this not-starting issue might be related to my headlight cables...

Grab a voltmeter. Clip the black lead to the Negative Terminal.

Switch on Ignition and probe the Green Ground wire at the Headlight Relays, Globes and BAS connector with the Red meter probe.

If you measure any voltage on the Green Ground wires then your Ground is NOT properly grounded. In this situation a good ground will have No voltage on it.

Another thing to try. When the fault is active remove the Headlight Fuse does this change the situation? Does the engine start and continue to run? Does the buzzing disappear?

I also have a start-up problem, tho' a little different to emhyrkaemor. VFR1200F, 2014 I think, bought new, now 41,000km. The problem is (inevitably) intermittent. When the problem is operative, on start-up, the engine just dies. It has gone through several stages over the last couple of years. Originally the engine started if the throttle was opened a little, and held open. Idle was off-beat, choke function (i.e, revs around 1500 at start-up) didn't appear to be working, and sometimes the engine would die even after warm-up.  Flashing orange engine light, sometimes solid, sometimes ABS light also on. Switching the ignition off for 30 sec.s or so after about 10 minutes running cleared the problems, and restored normal running. I have had a sensor replaced, which solved the problem for about 6 days. More recently, I replaced the battery with a new Yuasa, and carefully re-routed all cables to the terminals. 4 days of normal operation (~1500 revs at starting and idle around 1100 revs). But the last couple of days, back to stall on start-up, no choke function evident, flashing engine light, but if started with open throttle running at around 1100 revs  through warm-up. My low beam failed at some point, but pulling the light fuse or completely disconnecting the battery makes no difference to the present problem. Frustrating. I suspect some glitch in the electrics, perhaps storing and repeating some fault condition, or perhaps the moving parts of the ignition system need lubricating.

Any insights would be very welcome.

JBA

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, jackblackaust said:

I also have a start-up problem, tho' a little different to emhyrkaemor. VFR1200F, 2014 I think, bought new, now 41,000km. The problem is (inevitably) intermittent. When the problem is operative, on start-up, the engine just dies. It has gone through several stages over the last couple of years. Originally the engine started if the throttle was opened a little, and held open. Idle was off-beat, choke function (i.e, revs around 1500 at start-up) didn't appear to be working, and sometimes the engine would die even after warm-up.  Flashing orange engine light, sometimes solid, sometimes ABS light also on. Switching the ignition off for 30 sec.s or so after about 10 minutes running cleared the problems, and restored normal running. I have had a sensor replaced, which solved the problem for about 6 days. More recently, I replaced the battery with a new Yuasa, and carefully re-routed all cables to the terminals. 4 days of normal operation (~1500 revs at starting and idle around 1100 revs). But the last couple of days, back to stall on start-up, no choke function evident, flashing engine light, but if started with open throttle running at around 1100 revs  through warm-up. My low beam failed at some point, but pulling the light fuse or completely disconnecting the battery makes no difference to the present problem. Frustrating. I suspect some glitch in the electrics, perhaps storing and repeating some fault condition, or perhaps the moving parts of the ignition system need lubricating.

Any insights would be very welcome.

JBA

G'Day Jack.

Reckon you should post this in "Seventh Generation VFR's" forum.

Sorry I don't have a vfr1200 but I do have the 2010 VFR1200 Service Manual. You can also download it from this site, have a look in the Download Section.

- The Flashing engine fault light is probably flashing a Fault Code, its important to identify what code it is as it may be telling you what exactly is at fault. Service Manual will tell you how to interpret the code and the item at fault.

- These bikes are very sensitive to a weak battery condition! Even though you have replaced it doesn't mean you have a perfect battery, charge it and take it to Autobahn or Super Cheap Auto and have them load check it for you free of charge.

- When you have the bike running, check your charging voltage at the battery, should be around 13.5 to 14.5 volts. Check this at idle and 5000rpm both cold and warm engine.

- The Low beam light failure is probably nothing to worry about according to the 2010 info I have its just a standard H7 Halogen Bulb, fit a new bulb it may have just blown.

That's about all I can offer at this stage. Perhaps some of the 1200 owners might chime in with some suggestions.

Good Luck.

Thanks Grum.

I thought the 1200 VFR was a sixth gen!

I saw your post in "traction control light on" and just tried adding a second battery via the charging pig-tail (checking the polarity first - it needed to be reversed). Problem gone, at least this evening, so it may well be a battery problem. Charging voltage reads at ~13.5. I should add, I keep my battery on an Oximiser which almost immediately settles down to 'maintenance', and the battery does appear to be fully charged. Perhaps I need to permanently attach a second battery.

JBA

• Member Contributer

Looks like you got it sorted. I have seen other posts with 7th Gens (VFR1200) acting up with dash light issues, idle issues ABS light issues, and many were just low batteries. Seems like that Gen is very sensitive to available current, from low batteries. So far have not heard of wiring or stator issues with those bikes, but time will tell....

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late reply everyone! Had an operation, just recoverd. The machine though has just recovered fully(?) from what was happenning...? It was weird still no idea how it got this good...

Archived