Bag of Goodies...Silicone coolant hoses

mello dude

• Member Contributer

Nice! I'm installing an identical set in black as I reassemble my 5th gen. If you got their hose clamps look up the torque values and try tightening them to that and tell me you don't think you're about to damage the hose or break the clamp. I did them all to spec, which was a lot tighter than I have ever tightened hose clamps before. Samco have similar torque specs on their website.

• Member Contributer

On the hose clamps, I didnt want to pay $52 for a set..... nutz nutz. 

But based from this guy, John Reynolds (phenom gearhead guy), I'll be using Norma clamps... (checkout his car builds...wow)

Oh Yeah..... Project Farm too... 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Out of interest I looked up the Norma clamps in the video and found the spec sheet here; https://www.gtp.com.au/irrigationperth/inewsfiles/Norma_Wormdrive_HC_Torro.pdf

Not sure which size he is using, 9mm or 12mm wide (looks like 9mm) but the values they list made me realize that the AS3 clamps are higher because of the extra width that spreads the clamping over a larger area. The values for the Norma clamps are 3Nm (2.2 ft.lbs) for the narrow and 5Nm (3.7 ft.lbs) for the wide ones.

AS3 spec 5 ft.lbs for their clamps, and a torque screwdriver set to that seems really tight.

• Like 2

• mello dude changed the title to Bag of Goodies...Silicone coolant hoses
  • 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 4/28/2023 at 4:29 PM, Dangeruss said:

Out of interest I looked up the Norma clamps in the video and found the spec sheet here; https://www.gtp.com.au/irrigationperth/inewsfiles/Norma_Wormdrive_HC_Torro.pdf

Not sure which size he is using, 9mm or 12mm wide (looks like 9mm) but the values they list made me realize that the AS3 clamps are higher because of the extra width that spreads the clamping over a larger area. The values for the Norma clamps are 3Nm (2.2 ft.lbs) for the narrow and 5Nm (3.7 ft.lbs) for the wide ones.

AS3 spec 5 ft.lbs for their clamps, and a torque screwdriver set to that seems really tight.

I went ahead and bought the AS3 clamp set.....when I started pricing out all the Norma clamps, getting all the sizes was a bonkers task....it was then....screw it. Buy the pre-packaged set and be done with it..... As a BTW, the AS3 clamps are quality pieces, like the Norma clamps anyhoo....

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Did yours come with the wax unit lines, if your bike has that?  Gotta do hoses on mine some time in the near future.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, ShipFixer said:

Did yours come with the wax unit lines, if your bike has that?  Gotta do hoses on mine some time in the near future.

Dunno, I haven't gone through hose by hose and laid it all out....AS3 sell separate wax hose kits though....

This looks its gonna be a winter teardown project. Probably thermostat, injectors sent out for cleaning, and general overview check out.

Yeah I got the hose clamps as well, don't regret it one bit. Was a relatively painless process - I'd read online of some people needing to take the TB off after putting it all back together because of a small leak. Not a drop from mine after first install, knock on wood

• Member Contributer

I have both AS3 bags of goodies sat on the shelf in my garage awaiting the day they are needed. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Pay attention to the coolant fittings the hoses connect to, 3 of mine were heavily pitted and after a thorough cleaning found they had corroded right through. All but one of them are still available, luckily that was the only good one. The O-rings behind them were pretty much done too, glad I took them off to check.

• Thanks 3

• Member Contributer

My bag of goodies and clips came today, They'll be going on in a couple weeks.

Any thoughts on thermostats? Honda line? Test before buying? Quality aftermarket available? 

I went with OEM, I don't want to risk needing to do this job again for a long time. 

Along those lines I replaced the o-rings on all the coolant fittings, with a light smearing of RTV on the mating surfaces as well since even after cleaning the o-ring grooves weren't as smooth as I'd liked. I can deal with scraping off the RTV in 20 years' time if needed 

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, tsmitty said:

My bag of goodies and clips came today, They'll be going on in a couple weeks.

Any thoughts on thermostats? Honda line? Test before buying? Quality aftermarket available? 

I just purchased the OEM part from RonAyers...

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, mello dude said:

I just purchased the OEM

Me too, plus I was missing 1 o-ring for the water pipe assy., got that too. So I'm about ready for a carb tear-down and water pipe seal re-new!

6 hours ago, Dutchy said:

OEM may be 20 year old NOS..... 😇

I know Dutchy, that battles been going on in my head through out my bikes whole re-tool project.  

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, tsmitty said:

Me too, plus I was missing 1 o-ring for the water pipe assy., got that too. So I'm about ready for a carb tear-down and water pipe seal re-new!

I know Dutchy, that battles been going on in my head through out my bikes whole re-tool project.  

Even if the 'new' o rings were NOS from a bag on a shelf they'll still probably be 100x better than what you are replacing. The o rings in my bike were totally spanked when I removed them... square, brittle and covered in mineralization. I also used the AS3 clamps with their hose kit and it all went swimmingly and I haven't had any issues since. My bikes live in a barn in the winter (no heat) here in VT so they see all our winter lows (regularly colder than -10 F, often a few nights of -20 F). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
3 hours ago, tsmitty said:

Hey Mello, did you or anyone torque those hose clips down yet? 40 in. lbs.? 

I have to go rent a torque wrench, not trusting mine.

Hey....I am going to do mine over the winter. I will probably buy a wrench off Amazon. There's at least 10 choices. Haven't decided which one. Dunno if I would trust a rental....

No hurry for me though.

• Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, mello dude said:

I am going to do mine over the winter

Ok thanks, I torqued my clips by hand to the point I thought was tight and my old Snap On didn't measure but 20 in lbs. Sure seems like I'm going to break a clamp or split a hose or something. 

So I don't know if I should trust this wrench.

Good luck with the winter project...

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Dangeruss said:

seemed bloody tight, but didn't dig into the hose at all so I went with it.

Thanks for the reassurance Dangeruss...I'll go with it as soon as I get my hands on a wrench.