Gen 2 1986 750 Replacement Chain and Sprockets??? Lithium Battery?

Open1mind

I have a really mint Gen 2 86, and I am trying to make it outlast me.

Does anyone know the best supplier for a replacement chain and sprocket set that is a fit?  I see a few options on the web, but I am pretty skeptical of just a google search.  Some forum members mentioned that the Factory Stock front sprocket has a rubber insert to quiet things down.  Does anyone make a fit that would have the same feature?

I am also considering a switch to a Lithium battery and seeking recommendations.

Ride On...

3CD84F71-AEC2-437C-B704-0F009EB2939C_1_105_c.jpeg

JT sprockets makes OEM style sprockets and that's what I run on my 5th gens.  The catalog page for the 86 VFR750 is here.  They do make rubber cushioned front sprockets.  Try copy pasting the sprocket part numbers in Amazon as that's where I usually order mine from.

http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/s687/

https://www.amazon.com/JT-Sprockets-JTF339-16RB-Cushioned-Countershaft/dp/B06ZYK1P6Z/

https://www.amazon.com/JT-Sprockets-JTR1334-45-Steel-Sprocket/dp/B001AVONP6/

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, vfrgiving said:

They do make rubber cushioned front sprockets. 

They are not cushioned, they have rubber vulcanized to them for sound dampening, regardless of what a description might claim.

Please explain how this sprocket can be "cushioned".

csm_JTF513-16RB_pic2_1__6c10c0f1e9.jpg.94b85485c712c81ba910d162f7db098b.jpg

Sometimes the rubber goes all the way around, but it's still not "cushioned".  I can't believe they actually claim that.  Imagine how fast a reasonably powerful bike would absolutely disintegrate an actual rubber damped c/s sprocket. 

csm_JTF565-15RB_1__a93dbdbd73.jpg.a3905dca3e15f44e50ddfd158448af08.jpg

I have been wrong before and I'll be wrong again many times.  Somebody melt/grind one down and prove me wrong.  I have with the Honda ones "from the early 90's" they claim they are replicating to show a customer.

4 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

They are not cushioned, they have rubber vulcanized to them for sound dampening, regardless of what a description might claim.

Please explain how this sprocket can be "cushioned".

csm_JTF513-16RB_pic2_1__6c10c0f1e9.jpg.94b85485c712c81ba910d162f7db098b.jpg

Imagine how fast a reasonably powerful bike would absolutely disintegrate an actual rubber damped c/s sprocket. 

Sometimes the rubber goes all the way around, but it's still not "cushioned".  I can't believe they actually claim that.

csm_JTF565-15RB_1__a93dbdbd73.jpg.a3905dca3e15f44e50ddfd158448af08.jpg

I have been wrong before and I'll be wrong again many times.  Somebody melt/grind one down and prove me wrong.  I have with the Honda ones "from the early 90's" they claim they are replicating to show a customer.

I wasn't using "cushioned" in the way I guess you thought I meant?  I was just saying they do offer front sprockets with rubber, that yes just helps quiet or "cushion" the chain as it comes around.

• Member Contributer
23 minutes ago, vfrgiving said:

I wasn't using "cushioned" in the way I guess you thought I meant?  I was just saying they do offer front sprockets with rubber, that yes just helps quiet or "cushion" the chain as it comes around.

My point was that JT actually claims that if you go to the link you provided.  It was introduced strictly for noise being transmitted thru the transmission shaft.  Same reason Honda put rubber "plates" on the inside of the 86 VFR crankcase covers.  Every decibel you save from gear and engine noise can be spent on intake and exhaust noise.

I still fail to see how rubber on the sides of the sprocket cushion the chain in any way.  Even if the chain does slightly touch it when new, it won't take many miles before it's doing nothing.

Again, I could be way wrong.  Also, I've never seen this revolutionary technology applied to any rear sprockets.

58 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

My point was that JT actually claims that if you go to the link you provided.

I don't see them claiming that.  They're just stating it dampens chain hits.  Go to the main page and click the big "sprocket" button.

Rubber Cushioned Front Sprockets

JT rubber cushioned sprockets offer the same quality, design, and OEM proven technology as used by major Japanese motorcycle manufacturers since the early 90s to dampen chain impact.

I've never found them to make a huge difference, but I've been installing them since they started offering them.  It's not a huge price difference over the naked sprockets.  When pulling old ones off you can see the slight indents in the rubber where the chain lands.

I'm not a motorcycle engineer, but I'm guessing we've never seen a rear sprocket with the rubber pads is because it's not needed.  Think about how many links are making contact with the rear sprocket at any given time.  The load is spread out over a huge surface area. The front sprocket on the other hand has only a small number of links making contact with all the engine torque.  It's the same reason why a front sprocket shows wear to the teeth much earlier than the rear.

• Member Contributer

Alright.  

Still think it doesn't do anything, but I see your points. 

Cheers

• Member Contributer

If you look at old sprockets with rubber, you'll see little divots on them where chain has been hitting for years.

The cushioning isn't between sprocket and countreshaft. It's the landing-pad for chain when it hits sprocket. You can actually hear difference.

• Member Contributer

I don't... I wear earplugs on gear driven cam bikes with sprocket covers.

Again...  If it's the cheapest/only option, fine.  But its not affecting a decision process, that's for sure.

Thanks for the good info guys.  I decided against an LI battery, and I cant find an AGM one that fits.  So, I will stick with the old school wet battery for now.  

As for the chain/sprockets- the links were very helpful.  

For the money, I will likely get the rubber one.  My current Front sprocket makes some notable noise- perhaps due to wear.

Ride on

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, bmart said:

Motobatt has them. 

Yep.  I have them in my 86 VFRs.

MB12U (pretty sure)

Thanks for the good info guys.  I moved to fast on a regular Battery, so that will go in the bike this week.  I will remember motoBatt for the next time...

Chain and sprockets are on the list for a replacement per the info here.  My front sprocket is pretty dam noisy, so I will likely try the rubber ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd bump this as I was in there doing a new chain install today.

You can see chain riding into rubber bumper.  Old sprocket next to new showing the divets formed by the links.

IMG_20230514_161409_(1080_x_486_pixel).thumb.jpg.1bce76ee4ef1897e61afb08ebeba9a5e.jpgIMG_20230514_161418_(1080_x_486_pixel).thumb.jpg.7142a94c794d6bd5e2a248c5a38229c9.jpg

Archived