6th Gen Taillight Facelift Install

WDIV

• Member Contributer

After being on here for a couple of months, I noticed some 6th gens had clear turn signals and I LOVE the look over the amber turn signals. So much that I bought a used tail light off of ebay to throw onto the bike. What I didn't see on here (initially) is what to do about the different connector on the newer tails. So if you're looking to update, you'll definitely need to order "Sumitomo part number 6189-0890" aka Sumitomo HX .040 - .090 Connector and Terminals (cycleterminal.com) from cycle terminal dot com.

Step 1: order the newer style tail light and clean it up. I just used a random orbital buffer wtih some swirl and scratch remover to clean the light up. You can see buffed versus unbuffed below. 

52819561689_c078062f01_c_d.jpg

52818821552_944f915c23_c_d.jpg

Step 2: Realize the new taillights have different turn signal connectors and order the ones linked above. 

Step 3: Get your connector kit in the mail

52830321849_faf2f86bd8_c_d.jpg

Step 7: The old connector can be taken apart with a connector pin removal tool. I tried to take a picture of the pin catch below. You just need to insert the pin tool from the same side the wires enter the connector. I used a screw driver to push the pins out while I had the pin remover inserted. 

52831210700_092de233a6_c_d.jpg

52830992059_95d8e6c7ba_c_d.jpg

Step 11: Add the new connector. Once you've gotten the new pins crimped on, make sure to press them into the connector until they click. That'll guarantee they won't just fall out. The little plastic piece that goes on the front of the connector to align the pins is pretty intuitive. 

52831258613_834ab4070a_c_d.jpg

52831258623_796b3ff9ea_c_d.jpg

STEP 99: Verify the lights are working and enjoy! I should have taken video instead of trying to take a pic while the lights were flashing but meh. 

52831258783_d7cf1d1a53_c_d.jpg

52831210640_9e950c02cd_c_d.jpg

EDIT:
This was the original thread that helped me find the connector part.
This was a referenced thread in there to a much more complicated way to do this.

Edited by WDIV
Added two NOT BROKEN links at the bottom for reference

• Member Contributer

Looks smart, good job.

Now, if only I could find help with connecting my printer to my network, contacting yahoo or an airline 🤔

• Haha 2

• Member Contributer
Just now, Bren said:

Looks smart, good job.

Now, if only I could find help with connecting my printer to my network, contacting yahoo or an airline 🤔

It might be your lucky day. I'm not sure if you've seen the most recent slew of ... um... "help" available on the forums but it seems we have some new members that are dead set on making sure you can get your printer hooked up to print your flight tickets 🤣

• Member Contributer
42 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Wouldn't this technically be an "Asslift"?

Looks good.

I mean... you're not wrong 🤣