The old lady has been sitting too long

• Member Contributer

I had to take a 3 year break from riding in order to get neck surgery and both shoulders and biceps repaired. Old age sucks. 
The only things i have been to do for the VFR have been to get her plated as an antique and keep the battery on the tender. 
i started her last weekend and i think im going to have to once again rebuild the clutch slave cylinder (i just rebuilt it 3years ago shortly before i parked the bike) - is that a common issue with bikes sitting too long?

Also, i have been bugging the folks at NRP in the UK about making diaphragms for the 4th gen since 2019 and they keep telling me they’re “looking into it”. 
are there any other options? When i rebuilt the carbs last time i had to buy some used diaphragms/slides off ebay and they were ok but wont last forever. 

thanks!

Not sure about the clutch slave cylinder, but you will want to run some carb cleaner and get the old fuel out if there was any left in the tank, check hoses and such for the fuel system, also check for rust in the tank. All that is if you left fuel in the tank but if you haven't you still just want to give it all a good look around. Might already know most of this but a reminder cant hurt. That's all I got but I'm sure some more knowledgeable people will come along.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Csper said:

Not sure about the clutch slave cylinder, but you will want to run some carb cleaner and get the old fuel out if there was any left in the tank, check hoses and such for the fuel system, also check for rust in the tank. All that is if you left fuel in the tank but if you haven't you still just want to give it all a good look around. Might already know most of this but a reminder cant hurt. That's all I got but I'm sure some more knowledgeable people will come along.

Thanks! I had a full tank + Sta-bil when I parked it. 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, MadFrog said:

Thanks! I had a full tank + Sta-bil when I parked it. 

Whoa!!!!   Who are you?!  In the minority, that's for sure.

I'm a little surprised that a rebuilt slave would leak after 3 years with all fresh fluid.  But usage is better than sitting on those systems for sure.

I'm going thru a 92 VFR right now that sat outside for 3+ years under a lean-to, and (the non-rebuilt for sure) clutch system is still working fine and not leaking...   shit...  I should have never said that.  I'm fucked.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, i am a little surprised as well! I have had that bike for 17 years (shit, 17 years?) and 5 years ago i had to rebuild both master cylinders, 3 years ago the clutch slave and now again. And i had used all Honda parts. Oh well. Its just the bleeding that can be a pain. 

any info on the carbs diaphragms from anyone? I see some one from china is selling a kit on ebay but as cheap as it is i am a bit leary of what i might get. 

• Member Contributer

I would roll the dice on another used set before I spent money or time on some chinese diaphragms.  BUT, if you can buy 1 and it was cheap enough, it would be interesting to see if they are even correct and what the rubber feels like.

• Member Contributer
On 4/13/2023 at 4:26 PM, Thumbs said:

This is the only reliable source of diaphragms and other parts 

https://nrp-carbs.co.uk/honda_carburettor_diaphragms.htm

How about the guy (Blair, I think is his name) in Thailand?  https://www.litetek.co/index.html

No diaphragms that I can see, but other carb parts, and I've heard good things about them.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Just seems to be seals and O rings, no diaphragms

• Member Contributer

Couple of places advertise in the VJMC magazine that may have what you need. www.jbmindustries.com and www.Moto-Vintage.net. They are least as far as I know here in the states.

Archived