Here's a 2001 with only 1200 miles on it...

jroberts427

• Member Contributer

Low miles but will need a lot (more) $ to get it set up! looks like no suspension, can, luggage...perhaps tires (anyone remember $200 tire sets? Those were the days!

57 minutes ago, bmart said:

(anyone remember $200 tire sets? Those were the days!

That's still a thing if you're willing to shop outside the mainstay brands.  I use a VFR almost daily and chew through tires, so I'm looking for tread life on a budget.  I got great mileage out of some Shinko 009 Ravens recently.  I have a set of Kenda KM1 ($150) ready to go for a big trip here shortly.

• Member Contributer

Sadly, they all get ridden like track bikes, so I'd be spending more at the ER. 😕

12 hours ago, vfrgiving said:

That's still a thing if you're willing to shop outside the mainstay brands.  I use a VFR almost daily and chew through tires, so I'm looking for tread life on a budget.  I got great mileage out of some Shinko 009 Ravens recently.  I have a set of Kenda KM1 ($150) ready to go for a big trip here shortly.

Thats a great price, I paid €200 ($220) for a Mitas Touring Force, rear only, fitted, here in Ireland.

7 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

$6500!! For a 22 year old bike? I love my '99, but not a chance.

There's a handful of 5th gens on cycle trader right now, and this is actually one of the more sensible listings.

7 hours ago, toreckman said:

Thats a great price, I paid €200 ($220) for a Mitas Touring Force, rear only, fitted, here in Ireland.

A US power sports site currently has 180/55 Kenda KM1s at $85.  I bought a couple despite not having tested them yet.  I'm about to put down thousands of miles on them in short order, so I guess I'll post up a report when I get back.

• Member Contributer
On 4/12/2023 at 3:20 PM, vfrgiving said:

There's a handful of 5th gens on cycle trader right now, and this is actually one of the more sensible listings.

No offense, but while it may be one of the lower priced ones, that does not make it sensible. 🙂

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, VeeEffArah said:

Random thought, but am I the only one doubting that "only 1200 miles"  claim by the seller ?

The pictures are loading on your computer, right?

Besides being a shame someone didn't enjoy it more and it is a sparse ad, what evidence do you see or read that makes it not believable?

13 minutes ago, VeeEffArah said:

Random thought, but am I the only one doubting that "only 1200 miles"  claim by the seller ?

Who knows. It does look very clean in the pics. I've read that it is possible to modify an odometer reading on modern vehicles. Not sure how that would be done on a VFR. 

I'm not the seller btw. My 2001 has 26k miles on it and is not for sale. Just thought folks would like to see what appears to be a low mile time capsule. 

Cheers,

Justin

I don't think it's all that shocking a 2001 motorcycle would have only 1,200 miles on it.  Many people who buy motorcycles only ever use them as occasional weekend toys.  It's not unusual to see bikes for sale that only saw 100-200 miles per year.  The motorcycle's condition, as least outwardly, seems to reflect the low mileage.  Assuming the odometer is correct, maybe there's a story behind why this VFR mostly sat all those years.

Between how clean that thing is and all the warning stickers still on the tank, I don't think it's fake. They're out there.  I've also seen a low mileage "barn find" 5th gen show up at a bike meet in person.  It wasn't this low, but was under 5K.

• Member Contributer

Definitely possible but not always easy to confirm.

I purchased my 01 last year with 8900 miles on the clock. The condition reflected this and I could check online with the government website the mileage recorded at each of its annual roadworthy checks (required after bike is 3 yrs old), plus servicing receipts which led to to conclude it was genuine mileage.

The owner unfortunately developed hip issues meaning he could barely ride it after he bought it. For 10 years he only managed to ride it to/from its annual check and for the last 6 years didn't ride it at all, zero miles, all adding up to a total of 400 miles in 16 years.

So it is entirely possible but one should still confirm.

8 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

No offense, but while it may be one of the lower priced ones, that does not make it sensible. 🙂

What I'm getting at, is it at this mileage it would be like walking into a Honda dealer and finding a left over 2001 VFR on the floor.  $10K in 2001 (original MSRP of these from sources I've seen) money is $17.5K today.  So a left over 2001 VFR800 for $6500 in 2023.  Those other listings that are asking as much or more while certainly not high mileage, have seen some use.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

'80's Toyota pickups are going for $15K-$20K all day on BAT, old Celicas and other 80's cars just as much.

I don't think sense comes in to the equation.

That is a nice example and I can see it getting $5K. 

• Member Contributer
On 4/14/2023 at 2:34 PM, jroberts427 said:

Who knows. It does look very clean in the pics. I've read that it is possible to modify an odometer reading on modern vehicles. Not sure how that would be done on a VFR. 

It's definitely possible on a 5th gen, but I haven't done it myself.  Someone (greenVFR) on the UK VFR club website used to change mileage on 5th gens, but he passed away some years ago.

The electronics to store mileage in non-volatile memory in an instrument panel is surprisingly unsophisticated.  Most vehicles seem to store the mileage there, rather than in the ECU.  I've done some research on this, as I will need to change the mileage reading on my Toyota Hiace when I do the engine swap (and use the instrument panel relating to the Lexus 3UZ engine).  There's not much to it (no encryption, for example).  You just need to be able to connect to the IC chip, read the information via serial adapter into a computer, calculate what the data should be, write it using a free software program and it's done. 

But this would be an unusual effort to go through when selling a vehicle, as in most cases the condition would give it away.

Ciao,

JZH

Archived