R1 R/R upgrade

omegasteve

Hi all, picked my 97 VFR up on the weekend and have had a look through the service history, its had the R/R replaced twice already and its only on 17k. I've heard tell about a R1 unit that can be used as an upgrade? Does anyone have links to a guide and parts used to do so? Or have any other recommendations? It'll be doing a lot of M6 work and I don't fancy being stuck live lane on it.

Thanks in advance.

• Member Contributer

I have no idea.  But he has a lot of good info on what needs to be done (and copy) if you want to create your own harness after finding a unit.

• Member Contributer

@Captain 80s is, as usual, right. They are OEM on loads of bikes and cheap on ebay.

Mine is the FH020AA from a late model cbr 500 but Yamaha and others have been using them for years.

Eastern Beaver for the  RR connectors, Google it, and metri pack connectors or solder the connectors and you'll be done. Search the 4th Gen forum and every possible question is answered there.

DON'T  buy an ebay/Amazon 20 quid one or you'll be back here asking the same questions very soon. Do it once, do it right.

• Member Contributer

2007-ish onward FJR1300's and some later Yamahas used FH020AA's and they never seemed to fail... I'd chance a used one.  If on ebay, ensure the pics show the number on the rear end.  Buy connectors from Eastern Beaver and make your own harness if you like, recommend 12 ga. wire.  Be sure to put a 30A fuse in the wire going to the Battery +.  The Roadster harness is made from excellent quality wire.

If you want a series Shindengen, they were used on Kawi Versys 1000 2015-18, possibly later, SH826 I think....

• Member Contributer

Also the CBR500R uses the FH020AA. In a pinch being cheap, I would look for a used one.. 

Keep in mind many OEM's use the FH020 unit from the factory. My friend got one from ebay off an Artic Cat ATV for like $45.

Visit the Roadster Cycle website and jack offers great info and even some videos.

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, omegasteve said:

Thanks all, I'll get looking. Is there any guides to follow when it comes to fitting these?

Circuit looks like this.... 

i-3tCCxVq-L.jpg

• Member Contributer

I think this is the plug set you need for the R1 reg/rec: https://kojaycat.co.uk/epages/950000457.sf/secda19f77148/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950000457/Products/KYG3W-GREY

Another, but more non-motorcycle UK source: https://www.auto-click.co.uk/QLW-A-3F-GR

(You will need both the black and the grey connectors.)

Another option is to buy a certain cheap-ish Triumph reg/rec sub-harness and snip off the Triumph-side connectors, but I don't have the part number to hand.  (Found it: T2500676, but I see that it's no longer as cheap as buying the connectors alone.)

Loads of info in this classic thread from TriumphRat: https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/charging-system-diagnostics-rectifier-regulator-upgrade.104504/

Ciao,

JZH

Archived