Thinking of a vfr 98-2001

jason2023

Hi guys, new to the forum but I love the style and looks of the 95-97 and the 98-2001 vfr , I'm 6 3 and currently own a deauville which is a great bike but I need something more ,I'm in 2 minds between the 750 or the 800 non vtec , unfortunately I have drove neither but would love info if any tall lanky lads like me have drove or owned both and could give me some advice, thanks in advance, Jason 

• Member Contributer

Two good choices there. I have the 800 so I'm biased, but the 95-97 is said to be the pinnacle of the previous models with good performance and balance. AFAIK there is little between them for performance, durability weight or ride position. The 750 lacks the linked brakes; some would say that is a bonus and the 800 brakes are great but need to be kept in good shape to avoid issues. The 800 is injected, some find the carbs on the 750 much smoother to use, personally I'm quite used to FI bikes and prefer the durability of the FI system.

IMG_2947.JPG

On the 5th Gen, once you get the known niggles addressed and sorted, will be a solid ride. Can attest as I'm in the middle of resurrecting a 2000.

Guy at work bought a 1997 and already hitting snags on some replacement parts. But know will also be the case for the 5th Gen.

• Member Contributer

I would not buy a carb bike today with the fuel available, between the ethanol and H2O. I have two carb bikes now. Iv'e ridden a bunch of bikes and the 5th gen suits me best with the mods I've done. The linked brake don't bother me at all. I never notice that they're there, even with the rubber hoses. Even on track days. 

Recommend:

• Sorting charging system properly once (pretty cheap and easy)
  • Suspension on both ends (not cheap, but do it once properly)
  • Luggage rack
  • Sargent seat
  • Lighter can/muffler (love my cheap Delkevic)
  • Bar risers
  • Gearing change to 17/45 steel
  • Voltmeter
  • Tank grip (TechSpec)

If you're curious about riding position, head over to www.cycle-ergo.com and pull up the VFR.  Add in your measurements to get a sense of the stock riding position.  You can then play with modification changes like lower footpegs and higher handlebars.

The fifth gen has plenty of handlebar options to put the rider at varying degrees of more upright seating.  From riser blocks for the stock clip-ons all the way up to the big kahuna, the Hurricane Police handlebar kit. 

• Member Contributer

Faster than all but the yellow ones! (This sure reminds me of the '89 vs '90 CB-1 discussions!)

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with @bmart -- I'd go with a 5th gen. over a 4th mainly due to the new bike being fuel injected.  But they're both great.

I've seen some fairly tall riders and fairly short riders on VFRs over the years.  Even without bar risers and a footpeg lowering kit, if you're a bit flexible and nimble you might be fine.  Personally, I always recommend riding a new-to-you bike in stock form at first, then determine what you want or need to change.

• Member Contributer

Go for a 5th Gen.  They are great. I prefer the 98-99 with fast idle lever (plus no cat) over the 00-01 wax unit controlled.  One less thing to go wrong.  But really any 98-01 decently maintained example is great.  Gear Driven cams and Fuel Injected.  Win-win.

I like my 95 better, but all of my bikes are carbs, so it is my world and I do all of my own work.  And they get stored properly.

Good luck!

Hey Jason,

Just my thoughts on the height equation.

I bought my 8th gen from a guy that was 6'-4" who was selling because the riding was too cramped.

He had installed foot rest lowering blocks and jacked the adjustable height seat up all the way but it was not working for him still.

So that's the 8th gen and I think it is bigger than the 5th and 6th (others correct me if wrong on that).

So I guess it depends on how you wear your height.  All in the legs, all in the upper torso, or evenly divided.

I am 6' 4" and own a 5th gen.  I am installing a height adjustable shock and peg lowering blocks as it needs a bit more height for a comfortable riding position for me.  Not sure on the 4th gens as I haven't ridden one.  Plenty of options though if you need to adjust height, at least for 5th gens.

2 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Go for a 5th Gen.  They are great. I prefer the 98-99 with fast idle lever (plus no cat) over the 00-01 wax unit controlled.  One less thing to go wrong.  But really any 98-01 decently maintained example is great.  Gear Driven cams and Fuel Injected.  Win-win.

People always seem to lament the cats and wax idle, but I will say a positive for the 2000/2001 over the 98/99 is the ability for the EFI to enter closed-loop since there's oxygen sensors.  The 98/99 is always open-loop, and I've noticed they can be a little stinky at times.

• Member Contributer
30 minutes ago, vfrgiving said:

I've noticed they can be a little stinky at times.

It's all relative.  And when?  Warming up in your driveway?  Or sitting in traffic with a bunch of other stinky vehicles?

I personally would "risk" it.  I'll take a lever, been using them my whole life on all my other stinky bikes.

But again, like I said, they are all great.  Some small differences that might move some people one way or another. 

When I was looking at buying the Gen 5, didn't really matter to me to be honest. Went down a few rabbit holes reading pros/cons of manual enrichened FI versus wax unit.

Cat vs non cat and rusting headers on the 98-99. Then the current 00 fell into the mix and I bought it.

I would have got a really clean '97 with 40k miles but the seller kept tap dancing with his pricing each conversation. 

Looking forward to some miles on the 2000 VFR, but still haven't sold the Gen 1 FZ-1.... "just in case". 😎

36 minutes ago, SubyRS said:

I found no VFR or Interceptor models on that cycle-ergo website.  No Kawasaki 400RR either...or any late model sport bike.

+ Motorcycle button - Honda - left column, "VFR series"

I think I must have been stuck in the "Kawasaki" filter and didn't notice.  It was interesting to load up several of my previous bikes to compare.  I'm pretty sure my 81' Katana would have been the most extreme riding position, but that is one they don't have. 

Archived