Back on a VFR

pringle

Picked up a neglected gen 8 2014 a few months back and gettin’ around to rejoining the forum. Was here years ago when I had a RWB 6th gen and was an early adopter of the 7th gen 1200.  Left for a few years to ride the mighty vmax and a z1000…..now back on the best all around bike out there.

I have worked to “whip” it back into shape…..coming along ok!

F0967D8B-5E48-4052-98EF-1FFA71441499.jpeg

• Member Contributer

I've only ever ridden the '98 VFR.  Would like to see how different that model is.  Have you ridden both 5th gen and this gen?  Btw it's a beaut!  Love the wheels on this gen.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, interceptor69 said:

I've only ever ridden the '98 VFR.  Would like to see how different that model is.  Have you ridden both 5th gen and this gen?  Btw it's a beaut!  Love the wheels on this gen.

Hi Interceptor.

In some ways you might be disappointed!!

A few years ago I swapped my 8gen over with a mates 98 5gen, for a good ride. It was my first experience with a 4 valve all the time VFR. I immediately noticed the better low end pickup and better acceleration on the 5gen, I was so impressed with the 5gen seeing it was 16 years older than my 8gen. But the 8gen is noticeably lighter and better in the turns, with silky smooth gear shifts, along with all the added mod cons. Certainly love my 8gen, and don't miss the (annoying to me) sound of gear driven cams, YMMV.

Cheers:beer:

• Member Contributer

Should be able to get an 8th gen for a decent price...may need to peruse the classifides.

I've had only two Interceptors, 1st gen (loved it) and 8th gen (love it too).  

Coming off decades of super sport inline-4's that are a good 100 lbs. lighter and smaller, so my 8th gen seems very large and heavy to me.

But I needed a bike that could make me feel sporty and also work well enough for two-up riding with my wife (I do the steering).

My heart says super/hyper sport. My horrible old back and neck say Gold Wing, so the VFR800 seems a fair compromise.

It works decent enough for modest rides with my wife aboard, although I am still in allot of pain after 50 miles.

The VFR does not do sport at all for me, even though it looks the part. The power is good but it's just too heavy the brakes and sport touring tires don't inspire much confidence. 

So it depends what you bought the 8th gen VFR for.  I had that same Coffman muffler when I found mine used (crazy loud), but I ditched it for a quieter Scorpion set-up.

The 8th gen has a solid reputation for reliability, and there are plenty of parts available still when you need them.  Happy riding : )

3 hours ago, SubyRS said:

I've had only two Interceptors, 1st gen (loved it) and 8th gen (love it too).  

Coming off decades of super sport inline-4's that are a good 100 lbs. lighter and smaller, so my 8th gen seems very large and heavy to me.

But I needed a bike that could make me feel sporty and also work well enough for two-up riding with my wife (I do the steering).

My heart says super/hyper sport. My horrible old back and neck say Gold Wing, so the VFR800 seems a fair compromise.

It works decent enough for modest rides with my wife aboard, although I am still in allot of pain after 50 miles.

The VFR does not do sport at all for me, even though it looks the part. The power is good but it's just too heavy the brakes and sport touring tires don't inspire much confidence. 

So it depends what you bought the 8th gen VFR for.  I had that same Coffman muffler when I found mine used (crazy loud), but I ditched it for a quieter Scorpion set-up.

The 8th gen has a solid reputation for reliability, and there are plenty of parts available still when you need them.  Happy riding : )

I hear ya!  My other ride is a 2019 ‘wing!  LOL!  The VFR to me is so light compared to my max and goldwing it feels like a mini bike!

39CD28A1-3583-49D2-8CA8-E9C2F83CA03F.jpeg

• Member Contributer

LOL...

The 1998-2001 5th gen came with 17T/43T stock final drive.  The 6th and 8th gen came with 16T/43T stock.  That's a far bigger difference "by the numbers" than anything inside the engine.

Change the sprockets on your 6th or 8th gen and poof...sure feels like a 5th gen.  But with stiffer forks, useable luggage, etc.

🙃

Archived