Front Wheel Installation

wawasonqo

Hi Folks,

I have no clearance between the Left Disc and Caliper Bracket.

According to Page 13-15 of the Service manual:

"With the front brake applied, pump the fork up and down several times to seat the axle and check brake operation."

Should that be done with the bike off the Centre Stand?

If that doesn't solve the problem, what other advice do you have?

Thanks!!

• Member Contributer

I can’t see that fixing it.

• Is the wheel in the correct way IE rotational direction. 
• Are the axle spacers correctly positioned.

• Was everything straight when you took it apart IE no twists/bends in the triple clamps or down-tubes. If you’ve had the down-tubes out, and they aren’t true, maybe they need to be rotated to the original position. That, of course, means some repairs are in your future.

I have an 8th generation and once the axle nut is torqued, everything sits almost perfectly. Pumping the forks (off the centre stand) just sorts out any minor misalignment and there usually isn’t much change. 

13 hours ago, VFR78 said:

I can’t see that fixing it.

• Is the wheel in the correct way IE rotational direction. 
• Are the axle spacers correctly positioned.

• Was everything straight when you took it apart IE no twists/bends in the triple clamps or down-tubes. If you’ve had the down-tubes out, and they aren’t true, maybe they need to be rotated to the original position. That, of course, means some repairs are in your future.

I have an 8th generation and once the axle nut is torqued, everything sits almost perfectly. Pumping the forks (off the centre stand) just sorts out any minor misalignment and there usually isn’t much change. 

Hi Mate,

Wheel is in correctly and collars (axle spacers) are on the correct sides. When I removed the wheel I kept everything in the same orientation by immediately reinstalling the Axle and Axle Bolt to hold the collars in place.

As far as I know everything is true.

I will take it off the Centre Stand later and see what happens.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, wawasonqo said:

Hi Mate,

Wheel is in correctly and collars (axle spacers) are on the correct sides. When I removed the wheel I kept everything in the same orientation by immediately reinstalling the Axle and Axle Bolt to hold the collars in place.

As far as I know everything is true.

I will take it off the Centre Stand later and see what happens.

Thanks!

Best of luck Wawasonqo. If everything is back in the way it came out, then hopefully the bouncing trick will sort it out. Keep us posted.

• Member Contributer

Sometimes you have to manually manipulate the fork just a tad to gain clearance before tightening the pinch bolt(s), if it doesn't want to on it's own after pumping the forks for it to find it's "home".   One of my Service Manuals for a different year even mentions it.

5 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Sometimes you have to manually manipulate the right fork just a tad to gain clearance before tightening the pinch bolt(s), if it doesn't want to on it's own after pumping the forks for it to find it's "home".   One of my Service Manuals even mentions it.

Why the Right fork and how do you manipulate it?

Thanks!!

• Member Contributer

I "edited" my post.  Typo.

Move it with your hand.  A lot of times I can "cup" the bottom of the fork with the axle end in my palm, and move it over a bit with my finger tips.  If it needs to go in, give a slight blow with the side of your fist.

In any case, see if you can manipulate it with some slight force.  It doesn't take much movement to get the clearance you need. 

Again, this is assuming everything else is cool.  But this is not the first time I've seen this or had to do it on a bike with zero problems.

• Member Contributer

"lf the feeler gauge cannot be inserted easily, pull the
left fork out or push it in until the gauge can be
inserted.
After installing the wheel apply the brake several
times, then recheck both discs for caliper holder to
disc clearance."

We have free wheel rotation. 🙂

I loosened off the Axle Pinch Bolts on both legs.

Then, I loosened off the Handlebar Bolts, Upper Pinch Bolts and Lower Pinch Bolts of the stanchions (upper tube). I did the Left leg first and fully rotated the fork. Left that side loose and then loosened the bolts on the Right side and after rotating about 90° clockwise I hear something move and the outside of the Left fork was now in alignment with the mark on the axle and I had equal clearance on both sides.

Thanks for the help!

• Member Contributer

What's the history of this bike?  You said when you rotated the right fork tube about 90 degrees the spacing came in.  Very slightly bent fork?

On 3/30/2023 at 5:12 PM, Captain 80s said:

What's the history of this bike?  You said when you rotated the right fork tube about 90 degrees the spacing came in.  Very slightly bent fork?

I'm the 2nd owner. The previous owner traded it in on a Blackbird. It had 31000+ kms on it. I traded in my '88 2nd Gen for it. What a mistake.

Archived