Rough noise in neutral

Nick1071

I’ve just purchased a 2006 vfr800 , it has 12k on clock. It runs and rides great. When it’s sat with engine running it sounds rough and rattles with the clutch out , but when the clutch is pressed the rough noise disappears. I’m hoping someone can shed some light on the issue because it’s really annoying. Thanks. 

AAF1E9C0-5AB4-4122-A689-0D0EDAC74D73.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Try to ignore it, it is (very likely) normal with the KMs you posted (if accurate).  All of my bikes (12 VF/VFR/Interceptor) do it to some extent, some more than others. 

It's the clutch basket rumbling without a load.  That Gen seems to report it a little more than others it seems.  It was a VERY COMMON question when I worked at the Honda Dealer.

Oh, and your clutch lever is bent.

• Member Contributer
42 minutes ago, VFR750F3 said:

Do you use synthetic oil or regular?  Less noise with regular.  Is it the clutch or the CCT? 

I'd be surprised that a bad Cam Chain Tensioner would completely quiet down when you pull in the clutch lever in neutral.

5 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Try to ignore it, it is (very likely) normal with the KMs you posted (if accurate).  All of my bikes (12 VF/VFR/Interceptor) do it to some extent, some more than others. 

It's the clutch basket rumbling without a load.  That Gen seems to report it a little more than others it seems.  It was a VERY COMMON question when I worked at the Honda Dealer.

Oh, and your clutch lever is bent.

I’ve noticed the clutch lever thanks. I’m fitting some new levers. The noise seems excessive to me. Not sure I can just ignore it. Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

I be surprised that a bad Cam Chain Tensioner would completely quiet down when you pull in the clutch lever in neutral.

I’m not sure what oil is in it yet but I will look into the cct potential thanks. 

• Member Contributer

Couple of my bikes seem excessive.  But I've happened to have been thru the whole clutch on a 14K mile bike and everything was perfect.  But I knew it would be.  Oh, and those were my Gear Driven Cam bikes, no cam chains.

The ST1100 I rode to work today does it too.  No cam chains, 29K miles.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

It's the clutch basket rumbling without a load.

Well, if Cap says so it must be true. Thank goodness 'cause I started noticing the same noise from my '09 VTec last year. Not unexpected after 92K km / 57K miles.

• Member Contributer

CCT's generally create a distinctive chain clatter up around the cylinder head area.

Is your noise noticeable down low near the clutch housing?

23 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

I be surprised that a bad Cam Chain Tensioner would completely quiet down when you pull in the clutch lever in neutral.

I’m not sure what oil is in it yet but I will look into the cct potential thanks. 

19 hours ago, Grum said:

CCT's generally create a distinctive chain clatter up around the cylinder head area.

Is your noise noticeable down low near the clutch housing?

Yes definitely sounds to be coming from that area 

Archived