Bleeding Order for 5th Gen De-linked Front Brakes?

wawasonqo

Hi Folks,

I started on the Left yesterday for a short while and then saw someone's post about doing the Right side first but I think that was for a Linked system.

I've worked mostly on the Right side today and then back over to the Left for a bit and now back to the Right.

There only seems to be very minimal air coming out of the Outer Bleed Nipples, now, and some air has been coming up through the Reservoir also.

Should I be bleeding the Centre Bleed Nipples also?

There are separate brake lines from the Reservoir to each caliper.

You can see the configuration of the calipers in the following photos.

Thanks!!

20230319-4-VFR800Fi1De-linkedFrontLeftBrakeCaliper.thumb.jpg.31813ae113434681fd115ae765460b92.jpg

20230319-3-VFR800Fi1De-linkedFrontRightBrakeCaliper.thumb.jpg.d4a0648dc10ce5198f8fb79fbe861ba7.jpg

• Member Contributer

If your brakes are truly delinked and the center pistons are linked to the outers, then it shouldn't matter left or right first. You probably do need to bleed the center nipples just because all the air probably doesnt have a clean path back to the primary nipple.  Unless it looks different to you.  Would not hurt to pump fluid through it regardless especially if these are older calipers that haven't been stripped and cleaned.

2 minutes ago, ShipFixer said:

If your brakes are truly delinked and the center pistons are linked to the outers, then it shouldn't matter left or right first. You probably do need to bleed the center nipples just because all the air probably doesnt have a clean path back to the primary nipple.  Unless it looks different to you.  Would not hurt to pump fluid through it regardless especially if these are older calipers that haven't been stripped and cleaned.

Lever pressure is building up but sill not 100%.

What do you mean, exactly, regarding the Centre pistons being linked to the Outers? As per the following photos of my front calipers?

Thanks!!

20230319-4-VFR800Fi1De-linkedFrontLeftBrakeCaliper.thumb.jpg.31813ae113434681fd115ae765460b92.jpg

20230319-3-VFR800Fi1De-linkedFrontRightBrakeCaliper.thumb.jpg.d4a0648dc10ce5198f8fb79fbe861ba7.jpg

• Member Contributer

The front calipers have three pistons each.  When you "delinked," you hydraulically linked the one of three formerly linked to the rear master cylinder to the other two pistons.  So now it's just a three piston caliper.  But...

Look at that photo, and where the center nipple that would have bled the LBS circuit to the Secondary Master Cylinder is.  Good odds there is air in there.  So bleed it the same way you did the main nipple (top of the caliper, or right hand side of the photo), by pushing fluid from the front master cylinder.  You should get the remaining air out and lever feel should get solid.  

If you are having trouble after bleeding all four nipples, then you might be getting air in through the threads.  Try teflon thread tape on the nipples, and/or speed bleeder nipples, which only let fluid go one way...out.

11 minutes ago, ShipFixer said:

The front calipers have three pistons each.  When you "delinked," you hydraulically linked the one of three formerly linked to the rear master cylinder to the other two pistons.  So now it's just a three piston caliper.  But...

Look at that photo, and where the center nipple that would have bled the LBS circuit to the Secondary Master Cylinder is.  Good odds there is air in there.  So bleed it the same way you did the main nipple (top of the caliper, or right hand side of the photo), by pushing fluid from the front master cylinder.  You should get the remaining air out and lever feel should get solid.  

If you are having trouble after bleeding all four nipples, then you might be getting air in through the threads.  Try teflon thread tape on the nipples, and/or speed bleeder nipples, which only let fluid go one way...out.

Thanks for your input mate.

Yes, that's the way it is. I just did the Centre Nipples a couple of times and there may have been a little air the first time from the Left one but after that nothing. So, the fact that there's fluid from the Centre Nipples confirms that the channels are linked which is how I thought it was supposed to be but it's been so long (March/April 2005) since I did the de-linking I had forgotten all the details and the emails, I probably exchanged with the person who produced the kit, aren't accessible at present.

One finger braking.

One of the tricks I used to speed things up, that I read on someone's post last night, was to keep the lever compressed overnight. That brought it up to about 50% I guess and I kept using that technique this evening in between doing other things and that speeded up the process even further.

Archived