1996 Honda VFR750F not charging

Dg595

Hello everyone, I have a 1996 Honda VFR750F and I bought a new battery for it, put it in and it ran great for about a week and wouldn’t start one day. I charged the battery and once charged checked my voltage with it off and checked it with it running. Off it read 12.8, running it read 12.2. My dad and I replaced the rectifier a few months back so I checked that off my life, and was very certain that it was the stator, I ordered a stator for it, installed it and same thing.. battery wasn’t charging. I read another forum that said to unplug the headlight fuse and if voltage goes up then to do a headlight relay bypass. I wanted to reach out and see if anyone else had a similar issue or any suggestions for a possible fix. Voltage without the headlight fuse read 13.28 at idle and progressed upwards as more throttle was given. Thank you. 

• Member Contributer

What exact reg/rect (and stator) did you purchase and install?

"The Drill" is gonna be mentioned too.  Start looking and researching.

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, Dg595 said:

the r/r I honestly don’t know what brand it is. 

Could be your problem right there.  How much was it and where did you get it?

1 hour ago, Dg595 said:

The stator I purchase from www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com for about $171, the r/r I honestly don’t know what brand it is. 

I wanna say the rectifier was bought from eBay and around the $30 range. 

• Member Contributer
18 minutes ago, Dg595 said:

I wanna say the rectifier was bought from eBay and around the $30 range. 

OOF

• Member Contributer

First of all, I have no idea that is actually your problem.  But cheap Chinese is rarely the answer for your charging system.

Lots of opinions on this topic, but I don't think visiting Roadstercycle is a bad first step to start researching options / pricing.

Shit, I would take my chances on the right used unit before I wasted any money on the cheap, generic stuff.

Also:  The Drill

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 3/22/2023 at 11:10 AM, Captain 80s said:

I would take my chances on the right used unit

Hey Cap, are there any identifiers I/we should be looking for in our ebay hunts? Does the stock stuff have a part number on them? I was going to Ricks before finding this thread. My stator is dead shorted all the way around and I'm pretty sure its an aftermarket.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, tsmitty said:

Hey Cap, are there any identifiers I/we should be looking for in our ebay hunts? Does the stock stuff have a part number on them? I was going to Ricks before finding this thread. My stator is dead shorted all the way around and I'm pretty sure its an aftermarket.

I honestly don't know if you found a stator in a box, that there would be markings to tell you if it is for an 86 VFR.

I tend to look at the "Other items from seller" when evaluating used parts, and see if I can find parts from the same bike.  Can I find the gauges (with mileage) listed?  Do all the other parts from the bike look like they've been on the bottom of the bay for 20 years?  Do they have a return policy?  

I wouldn't normally buy a used stator, but I would take an educated, reasonably priced chance before buying a new, cheap, piece of shit.

• Member Contributer

You might also check the condition of the wiring & connections on the starter relay. It is usually located adjacent to the battery, and charging from the rec/reg goes to it before going to the battery.

7 hours ago, Lorne said:

You might also check the condition of the wiring & connections on the starter relay. It is usually located adjacent to the battery, and charging from the rec/reg goes to it before going to the battery.

june_1_2019_014.JPG.62cc9a2adb1555fa1c5e0f615599b2b5.JPG

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Lorne said:

You might also check the condition of the wiring & connections

The harness is fresh and in very good condition. but my stator and rect. are toast. I was planning on a FH020AA or the SH847 from roadster, when the piggy bank fills back up. 

Archived