Need Help With Replacement Mirror Bolts

interceptor69

Question

• Member Contributer

Bought a pair of the Emgo mirrors for my '98 VFR but cannot use the stock bolts to mount them.  Does anyone know where I can source some Allen type bolts?  The thinnest wall sockets I have won't go around the bolt heads once they get down inside the mounting bracket, especially the fwd one.  Also for those who have installed these mirrors did you use both rubber gasket and metal washer or just the rubber gasket?  I can see the edges of the metal washer sticking out around the mounting bracket so don't want to use those if they aren't necessary.  I believe I can get the bolt size from the service manual but I'm concerned I may order the wrong type threads.  I'm a bit thread-illitereate. 

9 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

your answer is in this thread: https://vfrworld.com/threads/mirror-upgrade-for-1998-using-20-21.60343/#post-636806

I used the rubber base from my '99 and button cap 6x20 bolts painted black

If you want to use the parts used on '00-'01 models

Mirror base, rubber - 88113-MBG-D00 - quantity 2
Bolt, socket (6X16) - 96600-06016-07 - quantity 4

VFR_Mirror_02.jpg

• Member Contributer

How different are the '98 and '00 rubber gaskets in shape?  They appear different but not terribly.

• Member Contributer
11 minutes ago, interceptor69 said:

How different are the '98 and '00 rubber gaskets in shape?  They appear different but not terribly.

The short answer I don't know how different they are. I bought the '00 gaskets but have not installed them nor have I compared them to '98. The '98 gaskets seem fine as they have not caused any damage to the upper fairing. I'll take pictures of them in the next couple of days.
I like the look of the button bolts but did not like the shiny stainless steel. On the VFRW thread, you can see how I painted them. Flat black cerakote would be nice 

• Member Contributer

The only reason I asked is i noticed the '98 gasket does not fit flush around the flange of the bracket-I would have to try to stretch it around the raised edge.  Thanks for all the help.  I like these mirrors and am eager to get them on.  Riding season is just around the corner here In Nashville.  Yes-the black painted bolts look great.  I will try to source them from the local hardware shop.

• Member Contributer

The '99 on the right, '00 on the left.

The '00 looks better as it completly fills the gap between the upper fairing and the base of the EMGO's.  Don't think you can stretch the '99 to match the EMGO's base. 

gasket_01.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks for taking the time to photograph them.  I believe you're correct-there's no way to stretch the '98/'99 ones to fit.  I guess I'll order a pair today.  Where do you order most of your parts from?  I've been using RevZilla.  And Partzilla lately.  They seem to have better stock of VFR parts.

• Member Contributer

Some OEM parts come from my local Honda dealer Berkeley Honda Yamaha and some from Partzilla ('99 49 State/'00 49 State). A few rubber bits that are NLA from Honda like K&L intake boots/manifold come from eBay.
I know some VFRD members have questioned EMGO quality. When it comes to mirrors, they have similar look to the NLA OEM. I've not had any issue with mirror getting loose as some have mentioned.  I did have an issue with the first pair of footpegs that needed to be cleaned up with a dremel and the rubber quality is feels more like plastic than rubber. At this point with our old scoots, it's take what we can get.

Good luck with your mirror install.

Archived