Roasted Stator

PorradaVFR

• Member Contributer

Well after having the old Shorai abruptly die on me mid-corner in December I replaced it with a...generic lead-acid battery (whatever the local shop had in stock that day) and moved on with my life...I had not ridden since but the bike sat on a Battery Tender since and the other day I decided to start her up after adding some Techron while I washed my wife’s car...bike was idling fine, then died and would NOT restart.  Ran the battery down so I gave up and left her to charge overnight...next morning, still no dice.  

Uh oh.  

Came home from work and tried again and realized that I was NOT hearing the fuel pump whine...but after checking the terminals and starter relay it turned on and fired up...but would die the moment I put hi-beams or grip heaters on.  

Nuts.  

Using the internetwebz and my marginal wrenching skills I checked the R/R - the harness was extremely difficult to separate - explained once I managed it and found it utterly scorched (no pic).  That’s when I decided to wipe the slate and replace the R/R, stator and battery. Opted for Ricks and a Yuasa AGM which I installed over the weekend - bike seems happy and values all in spec...13.85V at 5k RPM (was hoping for 14+) but it’s still within limits.  

Still irked by not knowing if the stator harness was the symptom or the cause, but nearly 20 years with the factory bits is fine.  Gave up on LiPo batteries - I had tried a couple but when they die it’s far more abrupt than I’d like...not worth the weight savings (and I wonder if the voltage might have contributed to the electrical woes...dunno).  

IMG_3257.jpeg

IMG_3260.jpeg

If the rest of the harness is still intact, you might want to simplify it by running the r/r outputs directly to the battery with a fuse. Delete all the extra monitoring crap. 

Also, have a peek at my "Ultimate VFR" thread where I detail how to add an oil cooling circuit to the 6g stator. 

• Member Contributer

Dude, I was just on that thread...I was proud at the outcome of my few hours over the weekend swapping the stator...your bike looks....astonishing.  What an amazing project!  You greatly overestimate my skills if you think I can manage even a smidge of what you’ve done!  😲

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, SEBSPEED said:

If the rest of the harness is still intact, you might want to simplify it by running the r/r outputs directly to the battery with a fuse. Delete all the extra monitoring crap. 

Also, have a peek at my "Ultimate VFR" thread where I detail how to add an oil cooling circuit to the 6g stator. 

Yeah, the harness beyond the torched stator wires (replaced) looked fine.  I cleaned ‘em up and added dielectric grease wherever I touched wires which should help in the future.  

2 hours ago, PorradaVFR said:

Dude, I was just on that thread...I was proud at the outcome of my few hours over the weekend swapping the stator...your bike looks....astonishing.  What an amazing project!  You greatly overestimate my skills if you think I can manage even a smidge of what you’ve done!  😲

Thank you... as a whole, it sure was a lot of work. But, most of the little jobs that make up the whole could be accomplished by most with simple hand tools. 

Honda greatly over complicated the wiring harness. The simple way is yellow -> yellow(3x), red -> battery positive with an inline 30a fuse, black -> battery negative. Done. 

Archived