Rear Master Cylinders: CBR600F4i vs VFR800Fi1- Delinked Brake System

wawasonqo

Hi Folks,

According to page 1-11 of the Service Manual, the Outer Diameter of the Piston of the Rear Brake Master Cylinder for the 5th Gen. VFR800 is 17.417 - 17.444 mm (0.6857 - 0.6868 inches).

According to the following page, the Outer Diameter of the Piston of the Rear Brake Master Cylinder for the CBR600F4i is 13.957 - 13.984 mm (0.5495 - 0.5506 inches).

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/cbr-600-f4-mastercylinder-bore-diameter-120891/#post1012291

Which is better, and why, for pushing the 3 pistons of the VFR calipers on a De-linked Brake System?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Nearly all the Honda sporty bikes of that era used the same size master. That’s the one you need, as mentioned in the other thread you commented in. 

On 3/19/2023 at 10:31 AM, ducnut said:

Nearly all the Honda sporty bikes of that era used the same size master. That’s the one you need, as mentioned in the other thread you commented in. 

@Terry

Will the long bolt I currently use for the 2 Brake Line Connectors interface corrrectly with the Master Cylinders of the CBR600F4i and CBR650R?

Thanks!!

20230319-1-VFR800Fi1De-linkedRearBrakeMasterCylinder.thumb.jpg.97a8b56e061d9e5d5676f703e50321dd.jpg

• Member Contributer

The banjo bolts on Honda master cylinders are all the same thread, IIRC.  

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Banjo bolts are a standard length, either double or single banjo, but the thread length is the same. If you are reusing the double banjo bolt above it will work. It would only be an issue if you were changing to say a Brembo master as they usually use a finer thread pitch.

• Member Contributer

I've seen narrower banjos, but generally they are all the same thickness on Honda motorcycle brake lines.  Accordingly, the bolts are designed to accommodate one or two banjos + 2x (or 3x) crush washers.  (I've never seen a triple-banjo bolt, but they could theoretically exist!)

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Because there are differences, it matters that the holes in the sides of the bolt match the area of the holes in the lines...

If they don't align, you're going to get added lever resistence and less brake pad pressure than you want. Banjo bolts are used for all sorts of things beyond our braking systems.

https://belmetric.com/fittings-plugs/banjo-fittings/

Archived