Points to look out for on a test ride?

daved

Hi,
I'm looking at a 2015 VFR800F at the weekend, apart from the usual stuff, are there any particular problem areas to check?
It appears to be in very good condition, only has 7600 miles on it.

Cheers.

Dave.

• Member Contributer

An 8gen with only 7600 miles should have no problem area at all. My 2014 8gen has no problem areas after 93,000kms.

Seriously, it should ride and perform like a brand new bike in all aspects.

You can always argue as to whether its the best VFR, but its certainly proving to be the most reliable VFR ever built.

Good luck. The 8gen is a Great bike.

Post Edit - Forgot to mention, Brake and Clutch fluid should be replaced every two years max. Its easy to do on the 8gen. Perhaps a coolant flush should have been done by now as well. Worth checking.

Sparkie does have a point - how long has it been sitting around? Especially if Ethanol blended fuel is used as it is hygroscopic and with possible condensation issues, ageing fuel may not be good for injectors. If the bike idles and runs well then possibly not an issue.

• Member Contributer

Hey Dave.

As Grum says, nothing special to look for after all it's the best VFR800 Honda produced (except for the Crossrunner, of course :wink:). :beer:

• Member Contributer
20 minutes ago, Sparkie said:

Less than 1000 miles a year means it sat.  A lot.

I'm less worried about high mileage bikes than low mileage.  

And yet my 22yo with <9000 miles had only done 400 miles in 16 years, zero in the last 6 and it was fine to ride. Of course I've changed all the consumables but it didn't worry me at all. Far better that than worrying about how well its been looked after over far more miles. 

Thanks for the feedback, I bought the bike, pick it up in a week or so.

Started from cold first time, tick over was fine, pulled cleanly to 10k rpm on test ride, started fine from hot, again good tick over.

So I don't think it has any gummed injectors, the petrol tank looks clean inside, no sign of rust.

The only problems I could find are a slightly rusty heat shield near the right footrest and a small amount of pitting high on the left fork stanchion.

Question: how high up the stanchion does the slider go on full compression? High enough for the oil(not dust) seal to run over this rust (see pic)

Ideas on treating the rust?

• Just rub down with fine emery paper?
  • Re-chrome?
  • Replace?

side view small.jpg

left fork rust small.jpg

• Member Contributer

Heat shields are made of chocolate so they go off far too quickly, that's nothing special, annoying though it is.

Just eyeballing it, the pitting looks high enough that it might only impinge under emergency braking, which is unlikely. However, that's just mho.

• Member Contributer

Will somebody PLEASE explain to me why Mother Honda decided on those absolutely LOVELY wheels then put a big ass muffler in front of them?  Why they dropped the center-up exhaust from 6th Gens I’ll never know.  

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, daved said:

Thanks for the feedback, I bought the bike, pick it up in a week or so.

Started from cold first time, tick over was fine, pulled cleanly to 10k rpm on test ride, started fine from hot, again good tick over.

So I don't think it has any gummed injectors, the petrol tank looks clean inside, no sign of rust.

The only problems I could find are a slightly rusty heat shield near the right footrest and a small amount of pitting high on the left fork stanchion.

Question: how high up the stanchion does the slider go on full compression? High enough for the oil(not dust) seal to run over this rust (see pic)

Ideas on treating the rust?

• Just rub down with fine emery paper?
  • Re-chrome?
  • Replace?

side view small.jpg

left fork rust small.jpg

My forks have recurring minor rust spots up high, probably a result of stone impacts. I periodically give them a very very light sand with super fine wet and dry paper, soaked in “Inox”. Forks seals have always stayed in good shape. 

Archived