Weak cranking when cold

vfrcapn

• Member Contributer

Wanted to see if anyone had input on this. ‘99 with weak crank when cold, does better/ok when hot. I’ve done literally everything electrical, including connecting a good battery direct to the starter with jumper cables, bike’s battery removed of course. Charging system is all new, 6G stator, Roadster r/r, new Lithium battery, new starter relay. Tried a different lithium battery and the AGM out of my Multistrada.  Connections all cleaned, fuses good, switch good, swapped in a different starter and bench tested the original one, no change with any of these upgrades. The bike is properly charging now though.

Bike will crank slowly and then stop, rest battery for a few minutes and it is a little better. 3rd or 4th try and it eventually starts. 

I’m left with maybe needing a valve adjustment? Will try pulling the plugs and cranking it when cold. Anything else I might be missing?

• Member Contributer

2 minutes ago, bmart said:

Could it be...the starter? 

Certainly sounds like it huh? If connecting battery directly to starter and it's still sluggish...

• Member Contributer

There's always blinker fluid or muffler bearings. 😇

• Member Contributer

Swapped in a different starter, same issue.

Pulled the plugs and it obviously cranked much easier. Maybe I’ll try a new Chinese starter. And check the motor compression.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Are the brushes on both starters in good nick?

Yep, measured out good, along with the armature.

17 hours ago, vfrcapn said:

Swapped in a different starter, same issue.

Pulled the plugs and it obviously cranked much easier. Maybe I’ll try a new Chinese starter. And check the motor compression.

HAHAHA, no commie chineze starters, please.  nothing chineze will work properly or for long.

Archived