Need new windscreen for VFR1200F

TNC

I own a 2010 VFR1200F and need to upgrade the windscreen as the stock screen is not ideal.  I get way too much turbulence and wind noise at helmet level.  I'm a taller rider (6'5") and the screen is just too short and maybe not shaped right for taller riders.  I have looked online and noticed the National Cycle V-Stream touring windscreen and also the Zero Gravity sport touring or double-bubble screens.  Does anyone have experience with these screens, or maybe even a different brand of screen that would provide a more calm and quiet ride?

Thank you

Eric

• Member Contributer

There was a thread on here a few years ago, where someone had issues with windscreens and tried several. I think he ended up putting a ~1" air dam below the headlight as he found air was coming up through the tunnel by the forks. 

See here:

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/88647-new-owner-need-help-with-windscreen-its-too-tall/

• Member Contributer

Givi do one MY MOTORCYCLE - HONDA VFR-1200-F-10--16 - D321S - Givi but you may find you also need one of those wind deflectors that sits atop the existing screen.

Alas, screens are very individual - we all have differing arm length, back length, neck length, seating position, helmet etc so what works for one person wont necessarily work for another and the annoying things is that you can't really test ride a new screen before paying for it, unless you know someone with the same bike who has that screen.

I have the Givi above but I've also fitted Heli-bars. I'm 5ft 10". I have recently fitted one of the screen deflectors I mentioned above but haven't really had much chance to try it. For what little riding I have done on the 1200 recently, it's not brilliant but it's ok.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Do you have the stock honda screen on?  I only ask because I'm 5'10" and when I briefly used some handlebar risers my head was completely above the windscreen turbulence (and it was great! I just hated the riser angle).  It seems odd to me that you, at 6'5", would experience any turbulence with the stock screen.  I could be totally wrong of course (not being 6'5") but just wanted to ask in case you've purchased a used bike with an aftermarket screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Eastbowl2 - I have the stock screen plus HeliBar risers.  

I might try to make some sort of air dam for below the headlight as was suggested earlier - sounds like a unique solution that's worth a try.

• Member Contributer
On 3/11/2023 at 1:36 PM, TNC said:

I own a 2010 VFR1200F and need to upgrade the windscreen as the stock screen is not ideal.  I get way too much turbulence and wind noise at helmet level.  I'm a taller rider (6'5") and the screen is just too short and maybe not shaped right for taller riders.  I have looked online and noticed the National Cycle V-Stream touring windscreen and also the Zero Gravity sport touring or double-bubble screens.  Does anyone have experience with these screens, or maybe even a different brand of screen that would provide a more calm and quiet ride?

Thank you

Eric

• Member Contributer

I have one from National and it sucks , and was a pain to install , looking for sum thing better now as well .

To throw a spanner in the works when I bought my 2011 DCT it came with a Puig double bubble type screen. I am 6ft 3in. The buffeting was moderate but I am not seeking a windless ride. I have naked bikes too so I can put up with plenty of wind. I didn't like the look of the Puig and I prefer my bikes as standard as possible so I bought the OE screen. There's really not much difference IMO. If you want smooth air you'll need to lose height and buy a bike with an electric screen.

• Member Contributer

I've had the Powerbronze fitted for a while now and it worked fine until I fitted Helibars and now the wind noise is too much for me so I am re-fitting the Givi D321S touring screen I removed a few years ago.

400-h128-002-bike-1.jpg

D321S.jpg

Archived