Hello

Desmo

• Member Contributer

I didn't even remember about that thread (!), but it reminded me about heavily restricted bikes sold in Germany and (apparently) Switzerland.  I recall that there wasn't a national power restriction per se, but individual purchasers would voluntarily restrict their bikes to qualify for cheaper insurance.  Unfortunately, I don't know how the bikes were restricted, but with carburetor engines the usual way was to fit restrictors into the intake ports.  There may also have been "learner" restrictions, which were more likely to have been removed once the rider earned their full licence.

Does the bike feel slow?  If not, someone may have removed the restriction and not told the government...

I don't think the Swiss ECU was restricted THAT much for everyone.  They always had special ECUs for emissions reasons, not speed/power.  So I don't think changing the ECU will remove the restriction, if it is still there.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

On Reddit someone from CH (https://www.reddit.com/user/DerGRAFder13/) had same issue. https://www.reddit.com/r/VFR/comments/1197jdy/got_the_new_ride/ 
Someone else mentioned, as you just did, they were restricted for new riders (A2).
I don't know how he resolved the issue, but he mentioned he spoke to Gerhard at https://www.thurn-motorsport.de/ who helped.
You may want to reach out to the Reddit user or Gerhard for clarification.

Good luck

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Interesting the oil filter pre fill process!!

I can imagine it would create a bit of a mess trying this on a horiziontal mounted VFR fitting.

Never seen this recomended in any Service or Owners manual.

Haven't suffered any ill effects from not prefilling an oil filter. There is always a good micro film of oil on all the internals and oil pressure recovery on start up is generally very quick.

As always YMMV.

not so messy as u might guess if you let the filter sit for 5 minutes before mounting it.  no race engine builder would fail to pre-fill. the idea of running for a few seconds with zero oil pressure scares the crap outta me, and when working in a professional shop, i did hear rod knocks before pressure built up.

5aa71f6c416d9_008_82hillEE.jpg.35d942d847cd57821065fcf4299e821d.thumb.jpg.0ebe5876ff55dfe71f1d8020338adb66.jpg

• Like 3

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, squirrelman said:

not so messy as u might guess.  no race engine builder would fail to pre-fill. the idea of running for a few seconds with zero oil pressure scares the crap outta me, and when working in a professional shop, i did hear rod knocks before pressure built up.

Yep point taken Squirrelman completely agree. A new or rebuilt dry engine is most certainly the exception to the general rule.

• Member Contributer

Ive been pre-filling filters since college (let's just say a long time).  I actually learned it while working at a Pennzoil 10 Minute Oil Change.  All turbo cars had their filters pre-filled.  

You'd be surprised how much oil you can get in if you keep adding and letting it sit while you do the rest of the oil change.  And if you are ready and somewhat quick, no spillage.  And if so, very little and not anymore mess than you just already made anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Member Contributer

Most of my bikes, except the ST1100, also allow you to crank with the kill switch off.  I turn them over in short intervals until the oil light goes off, and then light them off.

Not really needed either, but it's easy.  And I do my oil changes "cold", so they've been sitting (in my heated shop).

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Ive been pre-filling filters since college (let's just say a long time).  I actually learned it while working at a Pennzoil 10 Minute Oil Change.  All turbo cars had their filters pre-filled.  

You'd be surprised how much oil you can get in if you keep adding and letting it sit while you do the rest of the oil change.  And if you are ready and somewhat quick, no spillage.  And if so, very little and not anymore mess than you just already made anyway.

No pre-filling the oil filter/rock catcher on the Kanguro..... 🤪

20230319_143641_copy_1761x2194.thumb.jpg.501a4261fd27033a8c98ce05ed1a0a32.jpg

• 5 months later...